U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,027,622 times
Reputation: 627

Advertisements

Ok I want some opinions on this subject.

The Serpent Seed doctrine is a theory that the forbidden fruit of the garden of Eden was sex with the serpent and that the trees in the garden were other men.

Figured I would give just a little to see what others may add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,483 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Ok I want some opinions on this subject.

The Serpent Seed doctrine is a theory that the forbidden fruit of the garden of Eden was sex with the serpent and that the trees in the garden were other men.

Figured I would give just a little to see what others may add.
That symbolism makes far more sense to me than to believe a talking snake, seduced a naked woman to eat some magical fruit that screwed up the whole universe. At least symbolism is just that - symbolism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Ok I want some opinions on this subject.

The Serpent Seed doctrine is a theory that the forbidden fruit of the garden of Eden was sex with the serpent and that the trees in the garden were other men.

Figured I would give just a little to see what others may add.
Heresy to the highest, white supremacist nonsense. A doctrine that basically uses Scriptures to justify racial prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Reputation: 748
This one doctrine that truely grieves my heart and makes me physically sick.

One of the most unfortunate problems with the serpent seed doctrine is that is so heavily relies on prejudice and warped biblical interpretation that it can be very difficult to discuss rationally.

It takes scipture out of context, it claims that orginal sin was sex when the bible clearly states it is disoberdience.
A philosophy that teaches that some races or people are universally satanic. This is a doctrine that ultimately leads to sin, and racism is by far the worst; believing that certain races are irredeemable has no positive application.

(Galatians 3:28) "28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,470,679 times
Reputation: 580
I looked into this also,,as a seeker of Truth,,,but almost immediately threw it out as a false doctrine. This is the doctrine of the moonies.

The forbidden fruit was more about covetness than anything else. "The desire to make one wise",,,,It was something Eve thought she didn't have,,but desired.

But there is nothing wrong with seeking the Bible out for everything it can tell you, for sure. But the Truth always pulls you on the straight path if your heart is right with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,386 posts, read 10,066,687 times
Reputation: 5913
Not worth looking up and giving any credence, IMO.

The bible doesn't hide things. The bible is not shy about sex when sex is happens. Judah sleeping with his daughter in law.... Lot's guests being lusted after by the Sodomites..... David and Bathseeba....

If this were about sex, the bible would say it plain and straight, not hide it in a bunch of imagery. If a theory has to be taught that would be beyond what a sixth grader would construe after reading the scripture, then it is pure hogwash. The bible says what it says.

I'm with you here, Fundamentalist, a heap of rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 PM
 
2,946 posts, read 4,876,631 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Not worth looking up and giving any credence, IMO.

The bible doesn't hide things. The bible is not shy about sex when sex is happens. Judah sleeping with his daughter in law.... Lot's guests being lusted after by the Sodomites..... David and Bathseeba....

If this were about sex, the bible would say it plain and straight, not hide it in a bunch of imagery. If a theory has to be taught that would be beyond what a sixth grader would construe after reading the scripture, then it is pure hogwash. The bible says what it says.

I'm with you here, Fundamentalist, a heap of rubbish.
Is that why christians can`t agree on a lot of things in the bible....because everything is stated plain and simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 PM
 
40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times
Reputation: 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Is that why christians can`t agree on a lot of things in the bible....because everything is stated plain and simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,386 posts, read 10,066,687 times
Reputation: 5913
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Is that why christians can`t agree on a lot of things in the bible....because everything is stated plain and simple?
Care to expand, don't know what you are trying to point out.

The narrative parts of the bible are pretty straight forward. Other parts need deeper understanding of course. But if the bible tells a narrative, like Joshua and the Israelites marching around Jericho and somebody claims it is a theory that has to do with an alien base on planet earth, then I would say that is a ridiculous theory.

About as ridiculous as saying sex with the serpent was the sin and the trees were men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 11:59 PM
 
40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times
Reputation: 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Care to expand, don't know what you are trying to point out.

The narrative parts of the bible are pretty straight forward. Other parts need deeper understanding of course. But if the bible tells a narrative, like Joshua and the Israelites marching around Jericho and somebody claims it is a theory that has to do with an alien base on planet earth, then I would say that is a ridiculous theory.
Since the bible is for spiritual edification and guidance . . . are the narratives necessarily historical factual renderings of archaeological facts . . . or do they have a different purpose. As Paul said in Romans 15:4, ". . . For whatever things have been written, have been written for our instruction." How should we approach them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top