U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM

309 posts, read 445,992 times

Advertisements

My Church of Christ believes all Christians are saved but only way you can be a Christian is to be baptized for the Remission of Sin. Now my question is what about all the other Christians that were baptized but wasn't for the remission of sin are they still saved. If no then aren't the Church of Christ really saying your going to heaved if your a member of the Church of Christ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,854,043 times
I am not a Christian, but I am saved.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I am not a Christian, but I am saved.
Can you expand? may I ask, how are you saved?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
My Church of Christ believes all Christians are saved but only way you can be a Christian is to be baptized for the Remission of Sin. Now my question is what about all the other Christians that were baptized but wasn't for the remission of sin are they still saved. If no then aren't the Church of Christ really saying your going to heaved if your a member of the Church of Christ?
Well I can't speak for anyone else because God decides who is saved. I personally don't believe baptism is a requirement for salvation, I believe that is work righteousness and there is nothing we can do to be saved, it's all God.
but we should be baptized because God commands it.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-08-2009 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,627,135 times
Quote:
Here again is a misconception of what the church of Christ is.

Matthew 16:18 ...I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

Acts 2:47 And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Eph. 5:27 that He might present to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Col. 1:24 I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up my flesh with what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ,for the sake of His body, which is the church,

Romans 16: 16 The churches of Christ salute you.

Eph. 3:10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.

And on and on and on....

The church belongs to Christ, so why should it not bear His name???
I (nor you) do not have a 'church' . The saved are the church!

As for your comment that the" only way you can be a Christian is to be baptized for the remission of sins"...what does the scriptures say???? They do not say it in that way, but thay do say that is the way to wash away one's sins.
I was sprinkled in a denomination.That did not wash away my sins. If I have been 'baptized' in a denomination in order to become a member of their denomination...yes, I would need to be baptized according to the commanded way.

When you can show me the authority for the denominations in the scriptures, I will believe they are acceptable with God. There are other names that are spoken of, in connection to the church that Christ bled and died for, but they are not the denomations that have human names that are so popular now. Even if they all changed their names to include the names that are recorded in the scriptures, they would also need to drop all their man made doctrines...the things they have added to or taken away from the doctrine found in the new covenant.

Constantly demeaning the "Churches of Christ", per se, is not getting anyone 'Brownie points" with God. The 'church of Christ' is His...no ifs, ands, or buts.
In answer to your last question...yes, all who are members of the church of Christ are the ones going to heaven...if they remain faithful to the end.

BTW, the word translated 'church' should heve been translated 'that which is called out". If that were on the front of the places where the body of Christ meet, instead of the words "Church of Christ", would it make any differance with the world's attitude towards them???? I doubt it....

Last edited by Towhee; 01-08-2009 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 AM

7,557 posts, read 11,891,482 times
The concept of baptism is again one of those spiritual events that we interpret as something we can do alone (water baptism). Just as with circumcision, the work is spiritual - not of the flesh.

Quote:
John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable. (Luke 3:16-17 see also Mat 3:11-12)
The work of salvation is God's work in us - we bend to His will, and He purges the vessel with a surgeon's precision.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM

783 posts, read 1,183,235 times
Quote:
My Church of Christ believes all Christians are saved but only way you can be a Christian is to be baptized for the Remission of Sin.
I would suggest a word study centered on the word baptizo, baptize, baptism, to understand what the word means. This will help in understanding it within the context of the text in which it appears in Scripture. The word is a transliteration rather than a translation from the original Greek.

Let the Lord lead your study through His Spirit.
Acts 17: 11

Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 AM

604 posts, read 982,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
God decides who is saved.
While I know there is scripture to back up this claim, I take it this also means he also decides who isn't?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 AM

309 posts, read 445,992 times
Well the reason for my question is this some members of the congregation at the Church of Christ that I attend/attended believe all other churches are wrong and they are the only ones saved now to me that is judging. How can they believe they are the only ones saved and going to heaven just because they were baptized for the remission of sin. Now I am sorry but I just don't feel that way that is part of why im no longer in the church and trying to find me another one. So if they are saying that the only way one is saved is through Baptism for the remission of sins then what about all these other denominations are they are worthless and not going to heaven. What about the thief on the cross just saying that we were still under the old law is just and excuse to verify that Christ had not died and only the New law is what is important. If that were the case the Ten Commandments were constructed under the Old Law and are still in place. I have always defended Churches of Christ in the past but my eyes are starting to become open and realize that some of thier doctrine is not IMO sound doctrine.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM

21,635 posts, read 30,241,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Well I can't speak for anyone else because God decides who is saved. I personally don't believe baptism is a requirement for salvation, I believe that is work righteousness and there is nothing we can do to be saved, it's all God.
but we should be baptized because God commands it.
Yes, I agree with you 100%! We should be baptized, but it is not a requirement for salvation, it's all Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or