U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Reputation: 3755

Advertisements

I am concerned by some who lavish their excessive words of 'love' on those who say things that please them...I makes me think of what Jesus said:" For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? Matt.5:46
And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Matt 5:47

Constantly proclaiming how much you 'love' someone who has posted something that pleases you, is not an indication that you have more love than others do.
I am not speaking of those who gently say they love someone...it is the extreme exuberance of some posters, that makes me wonder....

That is my opinion...what is yours???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 7,823,618 times
Reputation: 3304
I think, even within the church (and religious forums), that people are very concerned with appearance and feelings much more so than reality. Most people welcome a pat on the back, even if it is with shallow intent. It's also not that hard to pass out platitudes rather than contemplate a more substantive response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,861,156 times
Reputation: 290
Because I know the Lord...because He first loved me, I love...it is that simple. I strive to show it here whether it is to thank someone for sharing verses of God's word or to say I am sorry for anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 4,899,211 times
Reputation: 624
The word love is abused and sometimes used as a weapon to try and put someone on a guilt trip like"If you trully had Gods love then you would not judge the person" or "If you understood Agape Love then you would not condemn them for their actions". When in fact it is the love within you that leads you to warn other of impending peril when you see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Because I know the Lord...because He first loved me, I love...it is that simple. I strive to show it here whether it is to thank someone for sharing verses of God's word or to say I am sorry for anything...
And I appreciate this. I am not referring to those types of expressing ones love and appreciation.
I am refering to the gushy types, that are directed only towards those who say things that please them. You may call it...those who have had their 'ears tickled'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The word love is abused and sometimes used as a weapon to try and put someone on a guilt trip like"If you trully had Gods love then you would not judge the person" or "If you understood Agape Love then you would not condemn them for their actions". When in fact it is the love within you that leads you to warn other of impending peril when you see it.

...yes...that's it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,059,026 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
That is my opinion...what is yours???
My opinion is really a question.

This really concerns you?

I mean in the grand scheme of things aren't there greater concerns in life?

However, you stated the parameters in your OP so my second opinion is..

This really concerns you?

Dang it.. sorry.. hard for me to get away from that original one. Let me try again.

my third opinion is..

Maybe the words aren't meant for the person saying the words.. maybe they are meant for the person hearing the words.

I'm not a "lovey" type of person. I try to avoid hugs at all cost.. except baby hugs. Baby hugs are like drugs. I digress. What I'm saying is that even I, sarcastic, bitter, pragmatic, non-emotional, haven't cried since 2001 (thats a record!) bigthirsty, can even see how words can help people.. even "lovey" type words.

I myself reserve those words for my family. Thats me though. I don't feel the need to say it to others nor do I feel the need to hear it from others. Quite honestly anyone outside of family saying that to me.. make me feel weird.

Like I said though.. thats me. I'm fully aware that most people are not like me (at least for the sake of the future of the world I hope they are not like me!) and thus am fully aware that those "words" help some people (either the ones saying those words or the ones receiving those words).

So I'm like you in a certain way Marian. We both find the abundance of the word Love to be a little icky and overused. Our parallel thoughts however differ from that point on as I'm fully aware the profound impact of words on people (even if I disagree with their overuse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Reputation: 3755
Okay, a question right back at you...Why does it bother you that it concerns me?

One reason it concerns me is because we are not supposed to be hypocrites with our love. We are to love our enemy, as well as those who love us. It is easy to love those who are pleasing to us, but not so easy to love those who oppose us.

I work on that all the time. It is important to the salvation of all, who claim to love God, to do likewise.
As Jesus said, " If you love only those who love you what reward have you?"

Loving just "in word" is also spoken against.
1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,059,026 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Okay, a question right back at you...Why does it bother you that it concerns me?
Bother me? No it doesn't bother me. It concerns me because I wonder if people have become as callous as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
One reason it concerns me is because we are not supposed to be hypocrites with our love.
Then concern yourself with who you love and don't make people feel bad for expressing what THEY feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
We are to love our enemy, as well as those who love us. It is easy to love those who are pleasing to us, but not so easy to love those who oppose us.
but you specifically referenced this board and what you've seen here in the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Constantly proclaiming how much you 'love' someone who has posted something that pleases you, is not an indication that you have more love than others do.
I am not speaking of those who gently say they love someone...it is the extreme exuberance of some posters, that makes me wonder....
I assumed you were speaking to the "extreme exuberance of some posters". Am I wrong? I'm confused because now you are talking about loving your enemy.

Which concerns you? Extreme Exuberance or Not loving your enemy.

I ask because if your concern is that people are not loving their enemy then I have to ask.. how do you know? You are making a HUGE assumption that because some exhibit "extreme exuberance" then they don't "love their enemy" too?

Very confused now. I assume you'll clear it up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Loving just "in word" is also spoken against.
1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
Then by all means be concerned when someone says: I'm really just loving "in word". Until then you are being concerned about something of which:

1. You have no control over
and
2. You don't know if its occuring (because nobody has said they are loving "in word".)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Reputation: 3755
More questions for you, bigthirsty...are you baiting me????
Or trying to set me up to say something derogatoty about some specific person ??
It ain't a-going to work!

And where does correcting those who love only those who love them exclude loving them????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top