U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,032,097 times
Reputation: 627

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can keep repeating that I dislike the INSPIRED (NOT dictated!) scripures all you like . . . but it is WRONG. I do NOT dislike scripture . . . I dislike YOUR reading and interpretations of them FOR ME and MY relationsjhip with Jesus. As long as they work for YOU to build YOUR relationship and live in Christ . . . I am OK with that. We do not need to agree with each other to love and live in Christ (as long as that translates into actual loving attitudes and "works" . . . not just "lip service.") You can continue to see the scriptures as DICTATED . . . I see them as INSPIRED and recorded by very ignorant and barely civilized humans.
Then you are unfamiliar with the truth of the scriptures. Hold on before you get insulted and let me explain. You seem to have this quirk which leads you to false assumptions.

You assume that the writers were primative, ignorant, barely civilized, and may I add uneducated. This couldnt be further from the truth considering the archeological evidence to the contrary. Look at the pyramids, credited as being built by enslaved Hebrews. We do not have the technology today to move the massive stones of the pyramids let alone cut them as precisely to fit as well together as they do. Our lazer technology isnt even that advanced on that scale. There is evidence for their ability to perform brain surgery and their scalpels were sharper and made from natural rock and left less bruicing and scar tissue than out most advanced instruments.

I ask you with all BS aside, to please examine more than the status quo when researching the history of early man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,032,097 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I am so glad to hear that!

I am not taking any sides here...I feel for all of you.
I thank you for your honesty and your concerns, we all need all the prayers we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,734,904 times
Reputation: 813
Question maybe none of my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Then you are unfamiliar with the truth of the scriptures. Hold on before you get insulted and let me explain. You seem to have this quirk which leads you to false assumptions.

You assume that the writers were primative, ignorant, barely civilized, and may I add uneducated. This couldnt be further from the truth considering the archeological evidence to the contrary. Look at the pyramids, credited as being built by enslaved Hebrews. We do not have the technology today to move the massive stones of the pyramids let alone cut them as precisely to fit as well together as they do. Our lazer technology isnt even that advanced on that scale. There is evidence for their ability to perform brain surgery and their scalpels were sharper and made from natural rock and left less bruicing and scar tissue than out most advanced instruments.

I ask you with all BS aside, to please examine more than the status quo when researching the history of early man.


Do you both see how close you have come to a real good mutual understanding already?
No mediator necessary, imho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,724,295 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
That's not what I meant... I meant do you pray that the Lord will lead you... That He would let you know where others stand with Him. You could be praying for something they already know, have, etc. Sometimes we need to ask if we're looking at someone wrong. I've done it...been severely wrong... I try not to do that anymore, although I do fail miserably sometimes. lol
Yes I do. Stirringwaters I appreaciate your questions, I do! Let me ask you a question. Do you agree that the gospel by itself is offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,902,778 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Yes I do. Stirringwaters I appreaciate your questions, I do! Let me ask you a question. Do you agree that the gospel by itself is offensive?
That sounds like a loaded question. lol I really don't know what you mean by offensive or by Itself. I'll be happy to answer when I do understand. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,734,904 times
Reputation: 813
Default objections, your honour??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
That sounds like a loaded question. lol I really don't know what you mean by offensive or by Itself. I'll be happy to answer when I do understand. lol
Ahh, learning by doing - escape the interrogator/inquisitor? Love it!

What if such a fundy were your boss?

Maybe off topic (and my experience with American bosses is as limited as exceptionally good)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,916,529 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
That sounds like a loaded question. lol
It was intended to be. If you say yes, then you are not a "Christian" and if you say no, you are on "his (not His) side"
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I really don't know what you mean by offensive or by Itself.
Or offensive to whom........I find parts of the Bible offending........I thought having Lot knock up his daughters was offensive. I thought that when Saul was told to kill every animal, woman, child and man of an offending tribe, that it was offensive. I found when Paul told slaves to be obedient that it was offensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I'll be happy to answer when I do understand. lol
Don't hold your breath, he deals in generalities.....broad brush strokes. He will not take the time to explain what he means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,734,904 times
Reputation: 813
Default i don't like generalized statements

i don't want to have to believe what i must not know.
i dislike the power games with a passion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
 
2,946 posts, read 4,880,378 times
Reputation: 1610
It goes deeper than just the legalistic point of view. The pharisees, yes were stuck on legalism because they were stuck in the physical. Their eyes were blinded to the spiritual laws of God which is what Jesus was teaching. Much like modern day churches are blinded to the spiritual (imo). They look at scriptures in the bible and see literal physical meanings and not spiritual. They see a literal lake of fire, literal anti christ, literal standing before God at judgement,literal book of life, literal outer darkness..etc. God operates in the spiritual and when Adam disobeyed God he became physical. But Jesus, who was spiritual,became physical so that we can return to the state we are meant to be....sons and daughters of the most high.
The old testament had the physical laws for physical man because we were far from God. But at the annointed time Jesus,who was spiritual, revealed himself to physical man and revealed the spiritual laws of God. He is the mediator,he is the one that draws us back to God and shows us the way. Keeping the old laws and living under the old physical covenant was not going to do it because God is spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,032,097 times
Reputation: 627
Fundy I think you are going to have to explain your question to StirringWaters before someone else completely negates your intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top