U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,527 times

Advertisements

Harsh words can also affect a believer's life. We must be careful not to be a stumbling block to them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,717,516 times
Sadly, I have seen harsh, angry words shut and lock the door in the face of more than just one person in the time I have been on this forum who was sincerely searching

Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,663,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I agree but I meant that they are blind.
You know what? Again and again I realize how blind I am, how little I can see. "For now we see through a glass darkly.. but then face to face". But thanks be to God that He can lead us frail, blind creatures as we walk in humility and obedience.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,028,019 times
Look I personally have a problem with these TV preachers with their wishy washy theology and their cookie cutter self centeredness "Give me money and God will bless you" BS . I have caught plenty of these idiots spouting lies to increase their pocketbooks. Christ could have become rich in His time if it wasnt for His willingness to help the lost and disenfranchised. This pushes alot of people away.

If we look at what Christ had to say to the young ruler "Lord what must I do to be saved" "Follow the commandments" " I follow them all all my life" "Sell all you have and give it to the poor" and the young ruler walks away with his head hung low because he did not want to give up his riches. This is everyone of us on a daily basis. Do you realize that the sacrificial lamb was a pet and not part of the herd? Another words God wanted you to sacrifice your pet that you raised from birth as if it were your own child. Who here would be willing to sacrifice the best of what they have to serve the Lord?

I know I got slightly off topic, but there is a method to my madness. Legalisticly speaking we have forgotten what the sacrifice is, it is the best of us all and anything less is a lie. The world doesnt want to hear the truth and therefore turn away and proclaim it is hateful, but it has planted the seed and there is nothing they can do to resist its growth unless they are blind and deaf to the truth.

I had some very loving and kind people try to share the word with me when I was of the world and I would not here it. I knew the word and would argue against it. I sent many a born agains away crying with their tales between their legs and the only thing that brought me to the truth was Christ. He cleaned the wax out of my ears and took the blinders from my eyes and literally kicked the snott out of me. Talk about tough love. This is why I say use the scriptures and not just your interpritation of them. Christ will use this no matter how harsh you may think it come across. Imagine being in Christs time and Him saying "Go and sin no more".

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,904,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
You know what? Again and again I realize how blind I am, how little I can see. "For now we see through a glass darkly.. but then face to face". But thanks be to God that He can lead us frail, blind creatures as we walk in humility and obedience.
Aren't you glad someone like fundie is around to make sure you know you are blind?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,527 times
A harsh man stood towering over my mother. Imagine a frail woman, an alcoholic...with a yelling, slobering man standing in her living room, leaning over her while she sits on her couch...screaming that she must be saved NOW.

You think she turned to his Jesus? Not a chance...she sunk deeper into the bottle.

That's harsh.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
That's harsh.
No, that is Satan using scripture to destroy Christianity. It is the smug self righteousness found in so many of today's churches. It is the sanctimonious sound of a man, so in love with his own voice, so persuaded of his own righteousness, so sure of his own place in the hierarchy of Christianity, that he became an angel of darkness.........driving away the lost from salvation by their own egos and pride.

But I am certain he quoted all the right scripture.......all the right threats.......everything was there but love.............and Christianity..

Be cautious, fundi....you are close to being that kind of person............

Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM

40,053 posts, read 26,730,521 times
The truth of our individuality and the differences of our needs is the blind spot that makes the judgmental literalists so harmful to the spiritual development of so many. If everyone were the same as Fundy or Robin . . . then their "tough love" and primitive approach to motivation and persuasion would obviously be effective . . . since it apparently resonates with them. The problem, of course, is that we are not all like Fundy and Robin (I am tempted to say . . . thank God . . . just kidding). THAT is why we are chastened NOT to judge but only witness our interpretations and beliefs and let the INFALLIBLE Jesus and the holy spirit decide what each of us NEEDS to be persuaded (not the FALLIBLE Fundy's and Robin's of the world). To do otherwise is arrogant and dangerous to our own soul's fate . . . since we are responsible for those soul's we influence . . . for good OR ill.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM

You are aware that I cannot rep you again so soon?

On the other hand, keep being right and I will keep trying............

Old 01-13-2009, 12:36 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The truth of our individuality and the differences of our needs is the blind spot that makes the judgmental literalists so harmful to the spiritual development of so many. If everyone were the same as Fundy or Robin . . . then their "tough love" and primitive approach to motivation and persuasion would obviously be effective . . . since it apparently resonates with them. The problem, of course, is that we are not all like Fundy and Robin (I am tempted to say . . . thank God . . . just kidding). THAT is why we are chastened NOT to judge but only witness our interpretations and beliefs and let the INFALLIBLE Jesus and the holy spirit decide what each of us NEEDS to be persuaded (not the FALLIBLE Fundy's and Robin's of the world). To do otherwise is arrogant and dangerous to our own soul's fate . . . since we are responsible for those soul's we influence . . . for good OR ill.
Yes we know the rhetoric. You are certain we are wrong but you are not certain, you're right. Maybe you need to read the works of Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or