U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,902,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I study long and hard using the correct context,
No, you study long and hard using what is YOUR INTERPRETATION of the correct context.
Quote:
without context the bible is a mish mash.
ut oh.......do you have scripture to support that? Are you sure the Word contains the words "mish mash?" or is this another "correct context" for the lack of context?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,027,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Let me know if there's anything I need to back up.

Scripture is posted and denied by another. Round and round you go. I say take it to prayer. We have the Holy Spirit in us for a reason. But hey...you want to lean on your own understanding, so be it.
I agree, but if we are willing to dialogue without semantics and legitimately approach one another to understand. We are not always going to agree, but that is because we are all at different levels of our walk and from differing perspectives. I think you know me well enough to ask for clarification. I am not perfect and we can all learn from one another, but if someone denies scripture outright or adheres to teachings outside of scripture then there is no real basis for a conversation.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
No, you study long and hard using what is YOUR INTERPRETATION of the correct context.
I pray, contextualize, use a book on hermeneutics. It is not my interpretation

Quote:
ut oh.......do you have scripture to support that? Are you sure the Word contains the words "mish mash?" or is this another "correct context" for the lack of context?
I don't have to prove it to you. Just turn on your TV to the nearest TV evangelist.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,902,713 times
Quote:
I don't have to prove it to you.
Of course not. I just wanted to know what scriptures you were using for support.
Quote:
Just turn on your TV to the nearest TV evangelist.
I'm sorry, but I've done too much work for too many television ministries to consider them anything but cash cows for lazy people, supported by the less than intelligent. If you follow that sort of thing, maybe you can slap me with your jacket and I can be healed of all the stuff you think I need to be healed from......

Last edited by Goodpasture; 01-13-2009 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Of course not. I just wanted to know what scriptures you were using for support.

I'm sorry, but I done too much work for too many television ministries to consider them anything but cash cows for lazy people, supported by the less than intelligent. If you follow that sort of thing, maybe you can slap me with your jacket and I can be healed of all the stuff you think I need to be healed from......
I said, I don't have to prove it you because all you have to do is turn on your TV and you will see a mish mash of the gospel. I have seen evangelist after evangelist on TV totally take a verse out of context to fit their sermon. That is not the way to read or study the bible.

If you still want a verse. I can give one. Just ask.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,892,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Listen for just a second...sometimes a gentle word spoken with the same meaning behind it is more effective than brash. That is all.

I'm still smiling.
Proverbs 15:1 - "Message Bible"
Quote:
"A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire."

Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM

I will give it anyway

We must not attempt to be totally independent in our studying of the Bible. It is arrogance to think that we cannot gain understanding through the lifelong work of others who have studied Scripture. Some people, in error, approach the Bible with the idea that they will depend on the Holy Spirit alone and they will discover all the hidden truths of Scripture. Christ, in the giving of the Holy Spirit, has given gifted people with spiritual gifts to the body of Christ. One of these spiritual gifts is that of teaching

(2 Timothy 3:16)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

(2 Peter 1:21)
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

(Ephesians 4:11–12)
11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up

(1 Corinthians 12:28)
28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-13-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM

40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
And this is not judgemental or legalistic? Seems as if we are being singled out by the very people who are being the most hypocritical. Primative is a judgemental statement. Have you really paid attention to what we have said? By sharing scripture we are witnessing to the truth of Christ, no interpritation needed when the scripture clearly states "Go and sin no more" or " If you love me keep my commandments". We are to witness the truth to all, some will accept and many will reject. You really need to look at the writings of the apostles, they were not the mamsy pamsy hippy types you would like to paint them as. You seem to be offering confusion rather than fact and that can be even more dangerous than not even speaking up when someone is about to get hurt.
Your comprehension seems faulty . . . I judged nothing and legalisticaly implied nothing. I said we are all different and require different approaches to motivate us. You and Fundy seem to think we are not and can be motivated by the same things that worked for you. Remember the goal . . . come to and accept Jesus and the holy spirit . . . NOT Fundy's and Robin's reasons and beliefs about why to do so.

I offer no confusion . . . and your fact is acceptable to you based on your reading comprehension and understanding of the biblical context, history, relationship of each of the books of scripture to the purpose of the entire bible, the use of symbolic speech and parables (a favorite of Jesus), and rationality. Fine . . . for YOU! Others have a different read and understanding. YOUR reading is NOT infallible nor obvious just because YOU think it is.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your comprehension seems faulty . . . I judged nothing and legalisticaly implied nothing. I said we are all different and require different approaches to motivate us. You and Fundy seem to think we are not and can be motivated by the same things that worked for you. Remember the goal . . . come to and accept Jesus and the holy spirit . . . NOT Fundy's and Robin's reasons and beliefs about why to do so.

I offer no confusion . . . and your fact is acceptable to you based on your reading comprehension and understanding of the biblical context, history, relationship of each of the books of scripture to the purpose of the entire bible, the use of symbolic speech and parables (a favorite of Jesus), and rationality. Fine . . . for YOU! Others have a different read and understanding. YOUR reading is NOT infallible nor obvious just because YOU think it is.
Yes it's called the word of God, you know the gospel? You on the other hand believe in the postmodern gospel. "Your truth works for you and my truth works for me. We can take different roads and still end up at the same point. That totally contradicts the bible no matter how you cut, slice, dice, spin.

It's not our reading, we learned from smarter than you, you have a problem understanding that. It is a doctrine we follow. It is you who have your own understanding, your own doctrine. Stop accusing us of something you do.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM

777 posts, read 1,277,017 times
|
|
|

"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
John 13:35

|
|
|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or