Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,511,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Aren't you glad someone like fundie is around to make sure you know you are blind?
Still waiting on your accusation, your claim; I said you are going to hell? where's your proof? I am calling you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,925,461 times
Why should we read anything? You will tell us all we need to know interpreted correctly......wait a second....that is a quote from Rush's Radio......but it still applies.........

Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Why should we read anything? You will tell us all we need to know interpreted correctly......wait a second....that is a quote from Rush's Radio......but it still applies.........
I have yet to see you even give one scripture. You believe you are right. Where is your scripture? I am still calling you out. I can respect a person who gives scripture in the right context to support their argument but if you are basing your beliefs on, relevance; love; 21st century mind; postmodernism; worldly beliefs, ideals and values....sorry but the bible trumps that.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-13-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,810,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The truth of our individuality and the differences of our needs is the blind spot that makes the judgmental literalists so harmful to the spiritual development of so many. If everyone were the same as Fundy or Robin . . . then their "tough love" and primitive approach to motivation and persuasion would obviously be effective . . . since it apparently resonates with them. The problem, of course, is that we are not all like Fundy and Robin (I am tempted to say . . . thank God . . . just kidding). THAT is why we are chastened NOT to judge but only witness our interpretations and beliefs and let the INFALLIBLE Jesus and the holy spirit decide what each of us NEEDS to be persuaded (not the FALLIBLE Fundy's and Robin's of the world). To do otherwise is arrogant and dangerous to our own soul's fate . . . since we are responsible for those soul's we influence . . . for good OR ill.
And this is not judgemental or legalistic? Seems as if we are being singled out by the very people who are being the most hypocritical. Primative is a judgemental statement. Have you really paid attention to what we have said? By sharing scripture we are witnessing to the truth of Christ, no interpritation needed when the scripture clearly states "Go and sin no more" or " If you love me keep my commandments". We are to witness the truth to all, some will accept and many will reject. You really need to look at the writings of the apostles, they were not the mamsy pamsy hippy types you would like to paint them as. You seem to be offering confusion rather than fact and that can be even more dangerous than not even speaking up when someone is about to get hurt.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

They sound more like Oprah and the New Agers which is just a return to Gnosticism.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
They sound more like Oprah and the New Agers which is just a return to Gnosticism.
I just wish that people would use scripture in the proper context to support their beliefs and truly grasp the definition of legalism.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,925,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You believe you are right.
No, I simply believe you are wrong
Quote:
I am still calling you out.
ooooooo.....sunset on main?
Quote:
I can respect a person who gives scripture in the right context to support their argument
This is the problem. I've seen people quote scripture to you and you say they are taking it out of context. That is what I mean, the way your approach people drives them away from Christianity. If it doesn't agree with you, it is out of context. It is only when it adheres to your extremely narrow interpretation that it is "in context." I won't play that game.
Quote:
but if you are basing your beliefs on, relevance; love; 21st century mind; postmodernism; worldly beliefs, ideals and values....sorry but the bible trumps that.
And if you are basing yours on a narrow interpretation then the real Bible trumps your idea of a bible.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM

"real Bible"?

I personally would prefer that people take scripture into context and stop taking it out of context. I mean if I take something out of context I would like is pointed out so we can come to some sort of understand why we each believe as we do. But instead people want to make accusations and not back them up. How is that any way to conduct a conversation?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,159,383 times
Let me know if there's anything I need to back up.

Scripture is posted and denied by another. Round and round you go. I say take it to prayer. We have the Holy Spirit in us for a reason. But hey...you want to lean on your own understanding, so be it.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
No, I simply believe you are wrong

ooooooo.....sunset on main?

This is the problem. I've seen people quote scripture to you and you say they are taking it out of context. That is what I mean, the way your approach people drives them away from Christianity. If it doesn't agree with you, it is out of context. It is only when it adheres to your extremely narrow interpretation that it is "in context." I won't play that game.

And if you are basing yours on a narrow interpretation then the real Bible trumps your idea of a bible.
I am held by context as well. I study long and hard using the correct context, without context the bible is a mish mash. God wants you to prosper, "There you go, God said it Himself, He wants you to be rich". We need context so we can avoid such dribble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity