U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,629,567 times
Reputation: 3760

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Remember the scriptures that say "all should be like little children?" Don't know exactly where it is...this is one of the things I hope to gain...the ability to quote scripture at the spur of the moment.
How about Matt. 18.3 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,718,586 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Couldn't it be that " born in sin" and being "a sinner" are two differant things????
That reminded me of the statement Obama made at the Rick Warren interview on CNN, "I am Pro-choice but I am not Pro-abortion"

Believe in what you want but ask yourself this, Why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin? Why was a human male kept out of the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,198,852 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
How about Matt. 18.3 ?
Yes! Yes! That's it Marian. Thanks

Matthew 18:3
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

and to continue
Matthew 18:4
Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Niv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,207,372 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Whatever!!!

I will continue to maintain that infants and little children are not accountable until, or unless, they reach the age when they realize that they are capable of sinning.
But the bible maintains differently. Are you saying that you pick and choose as it suits you?

Marian.. you and I are more similar than I thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,629,567 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That reminded me of the statement Obama made at the Rick Warren interview on CNN, "I am Pro-choice but I am not Pro-abortion"

Believe in what you want but ask yourself this, Why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin? Why was a human male kept out of the process?
But doesn't your theory make Mary a sinner????


" Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of God."

Oops...another scripture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,207,372 times
Reputation: 1468
So which is it?

(Romans 5:12- )
"12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13 for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death
..."

or

Matthew 18:3
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

and to continue
Matthew 18:4
Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.


Just being honest here.. it seems like Romans more directly addresses the issue..

All this does is just cement the fact that each person has his/her own interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,198,852 times
Reputation: 464
Default more

I don't think that being born in sin and being a sinner is contradictory...

The bible says we are born in sin AND the bible says we should be like little children. Does God think little children are sinners? If what you say is true about children and indeed children are sinners then why would God want us to be like them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,718,586 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
But doesn't your theory make Mary a sinner????


" Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of God."

Oops...another scripture!
Mary was a sinner, Catholics say different. I believe we have an "Adamic nature" that sin was passed on to all of us through Adam which is why sin nature is passed down from generation to generation through our fathers.

(Romans 5:12)
"12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned—"

The Virgin Birth circumvented the transmission of the sin nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,718,586 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I don't think that being born in sin and being a sinner is contradictory...

The bible says we are born in sin AND the bible says we should be like little children. Does God think little children are sinners? If what you say is true about children and indeed children are sinners then why would God want us to be like them?
Even though they are born in sin and have a sinful nature, God stills sees them as precious because there is some biblical evidence that anyone who is not able to make a decision for salvation is covered by Christ’s death. That's why I believe mentally handicapped and mentally ill people are covered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,198,852 times
Reputation: 464
Default just my opinion.

okay...for what it's worth
I believe:
We are born in sin...Children are not accountable until they reach an age in which they know and understand that Jesus came to the cross to die for our sins...at which time (in the perfect world) they are all saved. We all are sinners and this is why even after being saved it is necessary to repent and ask God for forgiveness often. (I know again, many disagree with this...but it is in my heart and I hear that "little voice" when I do wrong..and then I feel I must ask God for forgiveness.---if you do not hear that "little voice" then you are lucky as you do not know that what you do is wrong--but I do hear it)

Of course Mary was a sinner...we all are (once we know about Jesus), but being a sinner doesn't mean you are not saved.

I know there are differences of opinion.... . may we all be like the little children who are innocent until they grow older and aquire the knowledge that they are not living by God's word.

We are born in sin and it is up to us to remove this sin...and not live as sinners do, once we are old enough to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top