U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,199,549 times
Reputation: 464

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Even though they are born in sin and have a sinful nature, God stills sees them as precious because there is some biblical evidence that anyone who is not able to make a decision for salvation is covered by Christ’s death. That's why I believe mentally handicapped and mentally ill people are covered as well.
Agree wholeheartedly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,269,636 times
Reputation: 17789
What scripture has been given is true.... a child is born with the sin nature! But the child is not accountable till they become at the accountable age. Which the churches have disagreed for years on what that age is!

I believe a child becomes accountable when they know in their heart that stealing, lying, and so forth are wrong. We have all been there and no one had to tell us it was wrong..... it is in the heart without being taught!

Jesus told us to come to him with the heart of a child because their faith. A child trusts and believes the very adults that are in their life regardless! It is the innocent heart and the lack of fear, doubt, distrust, and so forth in a child's heart.
We are to come to Him believing all things, just as a child does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,725,638 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
okay...for what it's worth
I believe:
We are born in sin...Children are not accountable until they reach an age in which they know and understand that Jesus came to the cross to die for our sins...at which time (in the perfect world) they are all saved. We all are sinners and this is why even after being saved it is necessary to repent and ask God for forgiveness often. (I know again, many disagree with this...but it is in my heart and I hear that "little voice" when I do wrong..and then I feel I must ask God for forgiveness.---if you do not hear that "little voice" then you are lucky as you do not know that what you do is wrong--but I do hear it)

Of course Mary was a sinner...we all are (once we know about Jesus), but being a sinner doesn't mean you are not saved.

I know there are differences of opinion.... . may we all be like the little children who are innocent until they grow older and aquire the knowledge that they are not living by God's word.

We are born in sin and it is up to us to remove this sin...and not live as sinners do, once we are old enough to understand.
No complaints here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,559 posts, read 11,906,156 times
Reputation: 4519
I believe that we all are accountable to some degree - God obviously knows each individual's level of knowledge - but more importantly, everyone that enters into this world carries with them some level of carnality, and God will deal with that by His grace.

Sound harsh? Remember, He's sovereign and loving, but thorough in purging His creation so that every one of us is completely brought back to Him. (1 Cor 15:28)

He's God, and we're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,211,162 times
Reputation: 1469
So just a sidenote:

Is it my understanding that something as big as salvation requires believers to draw their own assumptions?

Because what I'v seen here so far is a whole bunch of "I belive..." & "I believe..."

Not.. "The bible states..."

I mean this isn't an issue like "Should women preach in church".

This is salvation. This is everlasting type stuff...

I find it odd.. that on the other things like "Should women preach in church" we are told by many on here to "find scripture that backs up what you say"..

but when dealing with salvation.. its just kind of a grab bag of assumptions.

Fascinating to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,725,638 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So just a sidenote:

Is it my understanding that something as big as salvation requires believers to draw their own assumptions?

Because what I'v seen here so far is a whole bunch of "I belive..." & "I believe..."

Not.. "The bible states..."

I mean this isn't an issue like "Should women preach in church".

This is salvation. This is everlasting type stuff...

I find it odd.. that on the other things like "Should women preach in church" we are told by many on here to "find scripture that backs up what you say"..

but when dealing with salvation.. its just kind of a grab bag of assumptions.

Fascinating to me.
I believe based on scripture. Scripture you did not accept which is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,211,162 times
Reputation: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I believe based on scripture. Scripture you did not accept which is fine.
Really?

Because you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Heaven because even though they are born in sin they don't qualify for the program of salvation.
Then I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Scripture?
Then you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Fair enough. I believe children, mentally handicapped, even the mentally ill do not qualify for the program of salvation.
In scripture when King David's child died, he was totally convinced that he would see his child in heaven.
(2 Samuel 12:23) "23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.

So you don't believe on scripture. Believing on scripture would have the scripture to go from. You are inferring from scripture which is VERY different. Like worlds apart different.

You see a gap.. you fill it with your own belief. I'm not faulting you for doing that. Its what I do (infer).

You just choose to call it something else so it fits in with your fundyness (no offense meant... you used that name for reason I assume).

So where I openly admit I draw conclusions..

Others (you) seem to feel as though your drawn conclusions are somehow better than mine. They might be.. in the end though.. they are still conclusions. No amount of telling yourself differently makes it different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,559 posts, read 11,906,156 times
Reputation: 4519
I need to check the "ink" in my monitor - my posts are apparently invisible lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,634,248 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I need to check the "ink" in my monitor - my posts are apparently invisible lately.
Sorry little elmer, I am not in agreement with your #44 post, so I did not comment on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,559 posts, read 11,906,156 times
Reputation: 4519
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe that we all are accountable to some degree - God obviously knows each individual's level of knowledge - but more importantly, everyone that enters into this world carries with them some level of carnality, and God will deal with that by His grace.

Sound harsh? Remember, He's sovereign and loving, but thorough in purging His creation so that every one of us is completely brought back to Him. (1 Cor 15:28)

He's God, and we're not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Sorry little elmer, I am not in agreement with your #44 post, so I did not comment on it.
Can we discuss our differences?

...there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. (1 Cor 12:5)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top