U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:19 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,741,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
It is fascinating - at least to me.
Everything seems to be in some sort of orbit - even on the atomic level.

In thinking about the "end of the world" (the OP), we're actually contemplating the end of the universe.
To get an idea of the size of the universe and a glimpse into the awesome power of God, I located this video which I'd seen years ago.

It's called The Powers of Ten.

YouTube - Powers Of 10

yes, fascinating! and of some concern, indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 AM

777 posts, read 1,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Here's another fascinating statistics link I found this morning. Reminds one of Matthew the 24th Chapter. I'm sure it'll draw the FLAMES of self-righteous indignation from some.

Still it is interesting: http://www.thehorizonproject.com/earthquakes.cfm
Wow. Cool looking animated graph! That's quite a spike!
...And it's from the US Geological Survey, so it's real data.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
yes, fascinating! and of some concern, indeed!
The orbits?

But seriously...
According to Scripture there will be a new heavens (cosmos) and a new earth, but that will be after judgment day.
We don't have to be concerned; the new will be so much better than the old.

As for Christians who don't accept or are aware of the new heavens and the new earth,
the end of the world deals only with this earth OR it's merely symbolic.

It's not far off from the what the unsaved believe, accept they're planning to escape to outer space or underground.

...Surprise!!! There's not gunna be a lot of tech during the millennium!

The preceding opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the staff and management of the church or those of the Christian community at large.
Not void where prohibited. Batteries not included. Taxes and fees may apply. See your owner's manual for details

Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The orbits?

Seriously... According to Scripture there will be a new heavens (cosmos) and a new earth, but that will be after judgment day.
We don't have to be concerned; the new will be so much better than the old.

As for Christians who don't accept or are aware of the new heavens and the new earth,
the end of the world deals only with this earth OR it's merely symbolic.
It's not far off from the what the unsaved believes, accept they're planning to escape to outer space or underground.

...Surprise!!! There's not gunna be a lot of tech during the millennium!

The preceding opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the staff and management of the church or those of the Christian community at large.
Not void where prohibited. Batteries not included. Taxes and fees may apply. See your owner's manual for details
RICHIO, i am not sure that u and i have really come to a mutual understanding.
since there seems not to be any need on your part to ask when you do not understand a comment i make, i will leave it at that.

no one knows the day nor the hour -
yet you are proclaiming a judgement day and a thereafter as if that would suffice to disclaim what i say.

i, for one, am concerned, among other things with the failing communication skills in the established circles. understand?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,899,561 times
Quote:
Wow. Cool looking animated graph! That's quite a spike!
...And it's from the US Geological Survey, so it's real data.
You mean like from a Secular/Scientific Non-Religious source ???

Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
RICHIO, i am not sure that u and i have really come to a mutual understanding.
since there seems not to be any need on your part to ask when you do not understand a comment i make, i will leave it at that.

no one knows the day nor the hour -
yet you are proclaiming a judgement day and a thereafter as if that would suffice to disclaim what i say.

i, for one, am concerned, among other things with the failing communication skills in the established circles. understand?
Effie,
I apologize for not being more sensitive and more clear.
I thought my small bit of humor showed that I did not understand your comment.

What I "proclaim" isn't something I made up; I read it.
The "disclaimer" at the bottom was to show that I fully expect that others would object to what I said.
It too was an attempt at humor.
Having people disagree with my views does not bother me.

I am still unclear about what you mean, but think I catch the drift.
What do mean by "communication skills"?
Are you speaking of the message or the way it is conveyed?
What is the message which is not being communicated?
And who are the "established circles"?

I'd probably agree - if you mean what I think you might mean, but you'll have to spell it out for me.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Effie,
I apologize for not being more sensitive and more clear.
I thought my small bit of humor showed that I did not understand your comment.

What I "proclaim" isn't something I made up; I read it.
The "disclaimer" at the bottom was to show that I fully expect that others would object to what I said.
It too was an attempt at humor.
Having people disagree with my views does not bother me.

I am still unclear about what you mean, but think I catch the drift.
What do mean by "communication skills"?
Are you speaking of the message or the way it is conveyed?
What is the message which is not being communicated?
And who are the "established circles"?

I'd probably agree - if you mean what I think you might mean, but you'll have to spell it out for me.
Richio, thanks - i did suspect it, but we do live in different cultures and i prefer this to be clarified - outspoken

Communication skills (always imho!):

having to come to an understanding of each other by perception comprising of oneself being more than an intellect grasping words from some "authority" concentrated in "counsel" and (worse!!!) orders taking away the very freedom supposedly coming from those.

since i am not in the habit of making accusations with my criticisms of attitudes, it's probably harder to understand what i want to say.

whenever we challenge each other's thoughts, we stall a (self-)realization in progress, which is a nasty kind of evolution, done with a will-power originally neither intended nor necessary.

? ? ?

i am not making statements, but will let thoughts develop between the other and myself.

what you see being written, would ideally spark some wit - not anger and frustration.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: and yes, it's my pleasure!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,098,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Actually the Bible said at the end of the 1000-yr rule of Jesus Christ on earth comes Judgment Day... and after that the physical universe comes to an end. Time and season, day and night, will be over. Those who are saved will be given eternal life and welcomed into the God Family. There will be no more pain, no more tears, only love and happiness. God the Father has a plan for eternity... but we won't find out until then.
Scripture?

Preterist

Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,098,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Why is there a need for a new universe of Solar Systems , Planets, Stars, etc ???? This also seems to be out of harmony with other scriptures which say the earth will be forever, and that God did'nt create it for nothing.

I also notice in your reference to Revelation 21:1 you did not fully quote the entire verse. Apparently if taken literally, there won't be anymore oceans or seas ever, is that true ???

Hmmmmmmm
Good question, bluepacific!

Preterist

Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Nice little spark, Preterist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or