Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:20 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,216 times

Advertisements

What the difference is between the Holy Spirit we are promised and receive after believing that Jesus died on the Cross for us and the Holy Spirit we receive later on down the line sometime when we manage to become perfect?

God's Word shows me there is only ONE Holy Spirt...and I know It was given to me after believing because of His Word. This isn't about belief vs baptism. This is about some saying that you don't really have the Holy Spirit early on or something like that?

There's just some strange stuff being said around here. It's in too many threads. I'm hoping someone can outline it here for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
INDWELLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

First, the Holy Spirit is a gift given to all believers in Jesus without exception, and no conditions are placed upon this gift except faith in Christ
(John 7:37–39)
37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within
him.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit,...

Second, the Holy Spirit is given at the moment of salvation
(Ephesians 1:13) 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Third, the Holy Spirit indwells believers permanently
(2 Corinthians 1:22) 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

To be filled with the Spirit implies freedom for Him to occupy every part of our life, guiding and controlling us. His power then can be exerted through us so that what we do is fruitful to God. The filling of the Spirit does not apply to outward acts alone; it also applies to the innermost thoughts and motives of our actions.
(Psalm 19:14) 14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
First, the Holy Spirit is a gift given to all believers in Jesus without exception, and no conditions are placed upon this gift except faith in Christ
(John 7:37–39)
37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within
him.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit,...

Second, the Holy Spirit is given at the moment of salvation
(Ephesians 1:13) 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Third, the Holy Spirit indwells believers permanently
(2 Corinthians 1:22) 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
That is exactly how I believe.

I am confounded by other beliefs. I have prayed over it...and His Word just does not change.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post

I am confounded by other beliefs. I have prayed over it...and His Word just does not change.
We must distinguish indwelling and the filling of the Holy Spirit

To be filled with the Spirit implies freedom for Him to occupy every part of our life, guiding and controlling us. His power then can be exerted through us so that what we do is fruitful to God. The filling of the Spirit does not apply to outward acts alone; it also applies to the innermost thoughts and motives of our actions.
(Psalm 19:14) 14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Quote:

"Confounded" is a good word for it. There is but one Holy Spirit, like you said. This board is full of mass confusion.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
We must distinguish indwelling and the filling of the Holy Spirit

So those happen at two different times in our lives? Is that what you're trying to say...and what others have been trying to say?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
From what I have seen written here, that is NOT what others are trying to say. They are saying that you do not receive the Holy Spirit when you become saved, that it is some kind of elitist event meant for only a few.

That is NOT what the Bible says.

John 14:15-17

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit

"If you love me, you will obey what I command.
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—
the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

This verse says it all. The rest is confusion caused by legalism.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are but one!! The bible said so, I believe it! There's no need for me to "figure it" out, the Word is good enough for me. It is, what it is! He is, who He is!

So much unbelief in these last days. This is not the time to lose faith brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus. Some are heaping up for themselves another doctrine like the bible said: Because they have itching ears...............

You, my brothers and sisters in Christ, stand firm and speak the truth in love!! Blessings.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I wasn't planning on posting much anymore, but I do believe there is ONE God, One Son, and One Holy Spirit (all being one in equality, in unison, power, love) I find no where in the scriptures that speaks of a second HS. Different gifts to different people, yes, but no gift is more powerful than the other...lest we boast. Being a Christian is not complicated as man would have us believe..We cannot ever expect to be sinfree or perfect in our imperfect bodies and in our imperfect state, but that is the beauty and the gift of His grace and the reason for His sacrifice.....in my humble opinion...
I am grateful you came back in to post. Thanks so much, Miss Blue.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So those happen at two different times in our lives? Is that what you're trying to say...and what others have been trying to say?
Filling is the real hard part. I have been trying but I watch shows, movies etc... that I know I should not be watching. This is hurting me. Sin is what separates us from the filling of the Holy Spirit, and obedience to God is how the filling of the Spirit is maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity