U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,758 times
Reputation: 142

Advertisements

As a Christian, do you feel the Bible was written within a vacuum, uninfluenced by outside sources/forces? Do you maintain the idea that influences from other cultures and/or belief systems had no part in shaping some biblical stories/concepts?

Have you ever read the history of the biblical region between the testaments; in other words, the so-called "400 silent years?" What about the belief system/mythologies of the larger empires (Babylon, Persia, Greece) the Jews fell to? Does any of this even matter to you or no concern or do you think it would help to give you a better background understanding of biblical stories and/or concepts? OR, is there a fear to know or learn for fear of what might be discovered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,718,586 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
As a Christian, do you feel the Bible was written within a vacuum, uninfluenced by outside sources/forces? Do you maintain the idea that influences from other cultures and/or belief systems had no part in shaping some biblical stories/concepts?

Have you ever read the history of the biblical region between the testaments; in other words, the so-called "400 silent years?" What about the belief system/mythologies of the larger empires (Babylon, Persia, Greece) the Jews fell to? Does any of this even matter to you or no concern or do you think it would help to give you a better background understanding of biblical stories and/or concepts? OR, is there a fear to know or learn for fear of what might be discovered?
It matters to me in fact many things I have read points back to Christianity. History is instrumental in defending the faith, the problem is that people distort history, write their own version or understanding from world history to American history. I urge ALL Christians to be like the Bereans.
(Acts 17:10-11) "10 The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-08-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,758 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It matters to me in fact many things I have read points back to Christianity. History is instrumental in defending the faith, the problem is that people distort history, write their own version or understanding from world history to American history
How so and what are your examples, Fundz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,583,727 times
Reputation: 939
Is history considered? Did'nt God start with a "blank" slate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,758 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Is history considered? Did'nt God start with a "blank" slate?
Think you're missing my point Betsy. If a teacher asked you to do an assignment on the American Civil War, you CAN'T write a successful paper without taking a few things into consideration.

1. Context
2. History leading up to the war
3. Events that led to the war
4. Possible global events/influences that may have planted the seeds for the war.

This is what I mean by "history."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,718,586 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
How so and what are your examples, Fundz?
Well first thing you must know, I am not an American. I never believed that this country was built on the principles of Christianity. I took a trip to Washington DC and saw first hand that it was, even though there are people trying to distort the truth. They would try to erase all of Christianity from Washington fortunately some of it requires a hammer and chisel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,583,727 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Think you're missing my point Betsy. If a teacher asked you to do an assignment on the American Civil War, you CAN'T write a successful paper without taking a few things into consideration.

1. Context
2. History leading up to the war
3. Events that led to the war
4. Possible global events/influences that may have planted the seeds for the war.

This is what I mean by "history."
Really? Duh..............

A little believer's sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,758 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Well first thing you must know, I am not an American. I never believed that this country was built on the principles of Christianity. I took a trip to Washington DC and saw first hand that it was, even though there are people trying to distort the truth. They would try to erase all of Christianity from Washington fortunately some of it requires a hammer and chisel.
Hmm...I'm not sure you answered my question, Fundz. Come again, nah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,758 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Really? Duh..............

A little believer's sarcasm.

I clearly missed it darling. Sorry. Need to fix my sarcasm sensor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,718,586 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Hmm...I'm not sure you answered my question, Fundz. Come again, nah?
How about this. You throw something at me. One of the things that rocked your faith. Something realy good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top