U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM

309 posts, read 446,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Sorry Goodpasture but the Holy Spirit is not enough because we ONLY have your word because the Holy Spirit may tell me something totally different. We know this can't be since He is the same.

Secondly we talk to God through prayer. Prayer is NOT a two way conversation.
Well sorry to you but God reveals and tells us things when we pray not all the time but a lot of times. If that has never happened to you then it is something truly awesome and I pray you don't miss out it for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Well sorry to you but God reveals and tells us things when we pray not all the time but a lot of times. If that has never happened to you then it is something truly awesome and I pray you don't miss out it for long.
Show me that in scripture. God told me to take this job but then I got laid off two weeks later...what then????

Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM

309 posts, read 446,022 times
Quote:
Show me that in scripture. God told me to take this job but then I got laid off two weeks later...what then????
Here you go: God speaks to us through His Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Isaiah 55:11 tells us, “so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” , God speaks through impressions, events, and thoughts. God helps us to discern right from wrong through our consciences (1 Timothy 1:5; 1 Peter 3:16). God is in the process of conforming our minds to think His thoughts (Romans 12:2). Really hope this helps a lot. May God speak to you and show you what he desires for you and wants you to see.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM

40,053 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Quote:
Sorry Goodpasture but the Holy Spirit is not enough because we ONLY have your word because the Holy Spirit may tell me something totally different. We know this can't be since He is the same.
Then you simply do not know Jesus or the holy spirit . . . Jesus' example is unambiguous.
Quote:
Secondly we talk to God through prayer. Prayer is NOT a two way conversation.
That is so sad to hear, Fundie, my brother . . . it is not so for me.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,136,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not really . . . just the unenlightened unsophisticated barbaric interpretations of God's word recorded by primitive minds in primitive societies.
You mean by those of us that are able to read and understand the Bible, the written Word of God?

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-19-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,136,151 times
Quote:
I don't know why you were laid off but I hope it was God's will for you.

Speaking from personal experience, I was fired from a job under very unpleasant circimstances and I was bitter about the rail-roading for years. It occured to me much later, however, that losing that job was a tremendous blessing! Had I not been fired, I would never have met my wife, our son and daughter would never have been born, and I would have missed out on some of the most wonderful experiences that any one could ever hope to have. If I ever again meet the man who fired me I should kiss him. I truly believe this was all part of God's will in order to answer my prayers for a good woman to love and to love me. It was a tall order and took some drastic measures to bring about.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't know why you were laid off but I hope it was God's will for you.

Speaking from personal experience, I was fired from a job under very unpleasant circimstances and I was bitter about the rail-roading for years. It occured to me much later, however, that losing that job was a tremendous blessing! Had I not been fired, I would never have met my wife, our son and daughter would never have been born, and I would have missed out on some of the most wonderful experiences that any one could ever hope to have. If I ever again meet the man who fired me I should kiss him. I truly believe this was all part of God's will in order to answer my prayers for a good woman to love and to love me. It was a tall order and took some drastic measures to bring about.
I wasn't laid off but thanks for the response. The point I was making is that too many people do not understand God's will for their lives. for example It's God's will I get this job. How do I know that?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,382 times
Re: God speaking to us in our prayers....
It is written:
Romans 8:24
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercessionn for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Why did not it say God would speak to us ????

Also:
Romans 8:34
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Does 'intercession' = speaks to us in our prayers?

"Here you go: God speaks to us through His Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Isaiah 55:11 tells us, “so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

This is a most wonderful scripture, but it is speaking of the written word...the holy scriptures.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Re: God speaking to us in our prayers....
It is written:
Romans 8:24
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercessionn for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Why did not it say God would speak to us ????

Also:
Romans 8:34
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Does 'intercession' = speaks to us in our prayers?

"Here you go: God speaks to us through His Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Isaiah 55:11 tells us, “so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

This is a most wonderful scripture, but it is speaking of the written word...the holy scriptures.
Sorry but I see nothing in scripture where prayer is a two way conversation?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,382 times
Quote:
Sorry but I see nothing in scripture where prayer is a two way conversation?
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity