U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 PM

309 posts, read 446,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Ohhhhhh....the bible was meant for that time. Then why do we read the bible today? why isn't sex before marriage of that time as well? a little bit old fashioned and unrealistic wouldn't you think?
I never said that the bible wasn't meant for that time just said that was what was taking place in that church when the women were told to be silent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,729,835 times
Exclamation All women can do is compete with the said same

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I never said that the bible wasn't meant for that time just said that was what was taking place in that church when the women were told to be silent

... which had repercussions not even remotely recognizable in an "enlightened" age.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,902,204 times
This is for fundementalist: Sooooo....you're saying that the hair thing doesn't matter now because it was for that time period....but the women preachers thing still stands? What proof do you have? How about women being silent in church??? It IS in the bible! So that must mean that women cannot ever speak in church?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
This is for fundementalist: Sooooo....you're saying that the hair thing doesn't matter now because it was for that time period....but the women preachers thing still stands? What proof do you have? How about women being silent in church??? It IS in the bible! So that must mean that women cannot ever speak in church?

Well the hair thing was OT Law, the women thing was NT. No women can speak in church.

God has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case). It is simply the way God designed the church to function.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,206,015 times
So God is a sexist?

or is it more plausible that at the time Paul opined on the issue.. that was the prevailing thought.. (i.e. that men are better than women)

Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So God is a sexist?

or is it more plausible that at the time Paul opined on the issue.. that was the prevailing thought.. (i.e. that men are better than women)
It's his book....ask him. Find me a verse where God allows it in His bible. You know that thing Called, the Word of God

Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,206,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It's his book....ask him. Find me a verse where God allows it in His bible. You know that thing Called, the Word of God
Find me a verse where God specifically backs your view.

I'm not looking for Paul's view (his cultural view at the time).

Jesus spent some 30 years on earth. What did he say about it?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM

309 posts, read 446,022 times
There was a woman deacon in the church in the NT.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,028,019 times
OK the whole thing about women teaching men is not really the problem. The specific Church of that time just as Church today, had a problem with men being lazy and women picking up their slack. Paul was simply pointing out that the men are ordained by God to be the head of the family and that the women were to be under the man, not subservient but as in responsibility. Men are the ministers of the family and therefore responsible for the actions of the women and children. the problem comes in when there is not man present in the family, then the woman has no choice but to take charge. This is also the case when you have stupid lazy men, the women have to take charge. it is more of an embarassment to the man because he hasnt stepped up to his responsibility. Take a look at Adam and Eve, Eve ate the fruit first but it wasnt a problem until Adam ate of the fruit. I honestly believe that if Adam had not eaten of the fruit then Eve would have most likely gotten a slap on the wrist in comparrison to what we all face now because Man is the responsible party. This does not take away from the womans possition in God they are equal but seperate rolls. As for in the position of the Pastor, deacon, or teacher, I see no problem with women being in these positions so long as a man is in the head position of responsibility. I come to these conclusion by taking into consideration the positions of women as represented in the disciples of Christ as well as the deaconess and prophetess positions. Look back at Rahab the position of prominance placed upon a harlot who was faithful. Ruth and Ester and the promonant positions. The Mary's, Martha, the woman who washed the feet of Christ. Mary the mother of Christ was elevated to a blessed position as well as her dear cousin Elizabeth. Mariam the sister of Aaron and Moses was a Prophetess. We must take these things into account before we make a judgement call.

All sides make very good points, but we cannot reject any part of scripture to appease anyone sensibilities but we can interprite the scriptures with the scriptures as well as the context and come to a legitimate scriptural conclusion.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,729,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
OK the whole thing about women teaching men is not really the problem. The specific Church of that time just as Church today, had a problem with men being lazy and women picking up their slack. Paul was simply pointing out that the men are ordained by God to be the head of the family and that the women were to be under the man, not subservient but as in responsibility. Men are the ministers of the family and therefore responsible for the actions of the women and children. the problem comes in when there is not man present in the family, then the woman has no choice but to take charge. This is also the case when you have stupid lazy men, the women have to take charge. it is more of an embarassment to the man because he hasnt stepped up to his responsibility. Take a look at Adam and Eve, Eve ate the fruit first but it wasnt a problem until Adam ate of the fruit. I honestly believe that if Adam had not eaten of the fruit then Eve would have most likely gotten a slap on the wrist in comparrison to what we all face now because Man is the responsible party. This does not take away from the womans possition in God they are equal but seperate rolls. As for in the position of the Pastor, deacon, or teacher, I see no problem with women being in these positions so long as a man is in the head position of responsibility. I come to these conclusion by taking into consideration the positions of women as represented in the disciples of Christ as well as the deaconess and prophetess positions. Look back at Rahab the position of prominance placed upon a harlot who was faithful. Ruth and Ester and the promonant positions. The Mary's, Martha, the woman who washed the feet of Christ. Mary the mother of Christ was elevated to a blessed position as well as her dear cousin Elizabeth. Mariam the sister of Aaron and Moses was a Prophetess. We must take these things into account before we make a judgement call.

All sides make very good points, but we cannot reject any part of scripture to appease anyone sensibilities but we can interprite the scriptures with the scriptures as well as the context and come to a legitimate scriptural conclusion.

What precisely was "the fruit", and who "knew" about it first???????

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-08-2009 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: bad spelling with question mark not yet invented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity