U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM

733 posts, read 4,194,754 times

Advertisements

Seems like a ridiculous conversation to me, considering we're 20 centuries or so past the time the letter was written. As I've noted on here before, my faith is 2000 years old, my thinking is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,028,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
What precisely was "the fruit", and who "knew" about it first???????
We are not sure what the fruit was but Adam knew about it first while Eve was the first to doubt God.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,167,278 times
Women preachers \ deacons are not God pleasing. They are still commanded not exercise authority1 Corinthians 11:3, headship over man. I really do not think its a matter of human opinion.

Let ask this, if I may.
Why do you think God is only speaking to women or those who are for pro-women preachers. Maybe God is speaking to men who are a bunch of couch potatos....like get of your rear ends and do your job instead of forcing the women to do it....just a thought

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM

305 posts, read 1,076,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
There was a woman deacon in the church in the NT.

who??

Old 01-09-2009, 01:16 AM

8 posts, read 15,867 times
Well the fruit is a metaphor! c'mon, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? eating the fruit is a metaphor for recognizing the difference between good and evil... so you have to think, is eve more advanced for realizing this sooner and thus catches hell from a patriarchial society, OR do the authors of the text want us to return to a simpler state in which we dont consider these things~ in which case adam is the nobler of the two characters because he doesnt recognize good and evil?
The dicotomy of good vs. evil is prealent throughout christianity- the moral of adam and eve seems to be that we shouldnt focus on what is right or wrong, black or white but live peacefully like adam, not doing "evil" acts because we dont have a concept of them.
BUT that is counterintuitive, because there are people who do awful things that we couldnt fathom on our own (9/11 for example) and we brand them "evil" so as to avoid and be prepared for them in the future. So we have to know the difference.
Is the story saying that women are more inclined to wonder about good vs. evil and thus incidentally lead the flock astray? If thats it, im inclined to agree, maybe women shouldnt lead in that theoretcal situation, because many women certainly are deep thinkers
(i mean, look at my rambling)
but on the other hand if to be "good" you cant wonder about the universe then were all failing.
we're eating the fruit right now wondering wether women should or shouldnt lead. Right or wrong?
The truth is that we are ALL a part of god. star stuff contemplating the stars. And untill were realize that were all conected, until we stop fighting about who should or should not lead, until we stop pitting ourselves against eachother... Were all damned.
when the flock is ready, the shepard leads.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 AM

309 posts, read 446,022 times
The woman deacon in the bible was Phoebe who was a deacon in the church of Cenchrae

Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
The woman deacon in the bible was Phoebe who was a deacon in the church of Cenchrae
Even if Phoebe is considered a "deaconess", that does not indicate that Phoebe was a teacher in the church. "able to teach" was given as a qualification for elders, but not deacons.

(Timothy 3:1-13) 3 Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not...

Old 01-09-2009, 07:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,627,772 times
Romans 16.1 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant in Cenchrea' (NKJV)

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant* of the church which is at Cenchrea, (NASB) *or deaconness (NIV is similar) (ASV is the same , without the footnote)

I commend to you Phoebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea, (KJV)

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Chenchrea, (RSV)

diakonos, one who renders service to another;an attendant , servant,

Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Romans 16.1 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant in Cenchrea' (NKJV)

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant* of the church which is at Cenchrea, (NASB) *or deaconness (NIV is similar) (ASV is the same , without the footnote)

I commend to you Phoebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea, (KJV)

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Chenchrea, (RSV)

diakonos, one who renders service to another;an attendant , servant,
Thank you!! People turn this into a sexist issue. It's not. We must follow the word of God, there are many other things that churches are doing wrong, for example how did deacons become higher than Pastors? In many churches deacons hire the Pastor, tell him how they want the church conducted etc..... That's not biblical

Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 AM

322 posts, read 657,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Thank you!! People turn this into a sexist issue. It's not. We must follow the word of God, there are many other things that churches are doing wrong, for example how did deacons become higher than Pastors? In many churches deacons hire the Pastor, tell him how they want the church conducted etc..... That's not biblical
Fudamentalist, I vastly agree with you. I'm convinced that we live in the times prophesied about in the early Church. That prophecy being that the time would come when they would not endure sound doctrine.

It is a pity that so many Churches will not even give sound doctrine a try. Even Nahum finally agreed to go dip himself in the river seven times. But these modern day "know it alls" are high minded and insist that Church doctrines should be changed in accordance with popular social "norms".

Many pastors and elders of Churches are giving way to the social rebellion against GOD. Many women are determined to be the head of things and will stop at nothing until they have spun their evil web and played the part of the black widow. This behavior is the work of satan.

At the same time, we must be very careful that we who know better do not become bitter and angry in our hearts. We must walk in love, while continueing to take the firm stand for righteousness, knowing that GOD is not mocked and that He will bring the evil doers to their end, unless they repent.

And by the way, men should have the shorter hair, and women should have the longer hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity