U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,713,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'll pass. I've read a lot of it, but I'm not into book-worship, as are the funamentailsts/extremists. I don't take it all literally either.

As any religion moves more toward literalism/fundamentalism, it moves toward intolerance and extremism. I don't find that healthy.
Seriously, are you a Christian? and if you are, do you not read your bible everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM

40,039 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Seriously, are you a Christian? and if you are, do you not read your bible everyday?
You really have a hard time restraining your desire to define who is and is not a Christian, don't you Fundy? A strong case could be made (and I have elsewhere) that those who read and interpret scripture literally and unthinkingly follow it as ORDERS . . . without referring to their knowledge and understanding of what Jesus was actually like and the clear example he gave us of how to treat others (and asking WWJD) . . . are not being very christ-like.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You really have a hard time restraining your desire to define who is and is not a Christian, don't you Fundy? A strong case could be made (and I have elsewhere) that those who read and interpret scripture literally and unthinkingly follow it as ORDERS . . . without referring to their knowledge and understanding of what Jesus was actually like and the clear example he gave us of how to treat others (and asking WWJD) . . . are not being very christ-like.

From that statement, I said no such thing.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:

From that statement, I said no such thing.
My mistake, then . . . you did SEEM to be questioning his/her Christianity.Sorry.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:10 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,026,725 times
Quote:
Not meaning to start a fight, but in your opinion hat was Jesus like?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM

4,510 posts, read 4,112,569 times
There have been a host of false male preachers, Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart, etc come to mind.
Although there are passages about God being the head of man, and man being the head of woman, I don't think the Bible expressly forbids women to teach.
There are some women in the church who are more 'true to Jesus' than some of the men, so I don't have a problem with women teaching, as long as they are true to the Gospel.
However, a homosexual pastor though is something I would have a problem with.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
There have been a host of false male preachers, Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart, etc come to mind.
Although there are passages about God being the head of man, and man being the head of woman, I don't think the Bible expressly forbids women to teach.
There are some women in the church who are more 'true to Jesus' than some of the men, so I don't have a problem with women teaching, as long as they are true to the Gospel.
However, a homosexual pastor though is something I would have a problem with.
Yes it does and you are right that there are many men who should not be preachers. It doesn't matter what you and I have a problem with. The question remains is it biblical?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yes it does and you are right that there are many men who should not be preachers. It doesn't matter what you and I have a problem with. The question remains is it biblical?
No . . . the question is do you know what is and is not biblical and on what basis (historical, canonical, symbolic or rational)?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No . . . the question is do you know what is and is not biblical and on what basis (historical, canonical, symbolic or rational)?
Yes I remember that verse.....

It is absolutely amazing and mystical how you can translate the parts of the bible you like but then all of a sudden the parts of the bible you don't like becomes a shroud of mystery and darkness.

1. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. (John 16:13) "13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

2. Do not pull a Scripture out of the verses that surround it and assume that the meaning of the verse is not reliant on the surrounding verses. You should always read the surrounding verses and chapters, and be familiar with the purpose of the book. (2 Timothy 3:16) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

3. Do not attempt to be totally independent in your studying of the Bible. It is arrogance to think that you cannot gain understanding through the lifelong work of others who have studied Scripture. Some people, in error, approach the Bible with the idea that they will depend on the Holy Spirit alone and they will discover all the hidden truths of Scripture. (1 Corinthians 12:28) "28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. "

4. Buy some good, conservative, reliable commenteries and Bible resource books to help you in your own study of the God's Word.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-10-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,112,569 times
Quote:
A Godly 'teacher', whatever sex, should focus your attention on Jesus Christ, and the Word of God. Many pastors talk about themselves, their issues, their this and that - fine, but when you hear a sermon, your eyes should be on the Word of God and Jesus. I don't know how many times I have heard a sermon where the pastor is pointing his eyes on himself. I would rather listen to a woman teaching correctly than a man teaching incorrectly, so ideally it is a man teaching, but this is my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity