U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
 
309 posts, read 445,962 times
Reputation: 99

Advertisements

Just wandering what the views are on women preachers and women deacons in a church. I have heard many great women inspirational speakers and women motivators but as far as preachers im not against it I fill if the Lord calls you to do something then by all means do it. Don't know of any churches that has women deacons but they were in the bible. I believe its OK too but just wandering what the census is on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Just wandering what the views are on women preachers and women deacons in a church. I have heard many great women inspirational speakers and women motivators but as far as preachers im not against it I fill if the Lord calls you to do something then by all means do it. Don't know of any churches that has women deacons but they were in the bible. I believe its OK too but just wandering what the census is on here.
What does the bible say? You find me a verse that allows women preachers and I will agree with you. I have heard excellent homosexual preachers as well. Did God call them as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times
Reputation: 10428
Our church, Presbyterian, has three pastors, one of which is a woman. There are several denominations that allow women pastors, so if you agree with it, choose one of those denominations.

When the Bible was written, women were considered 2nd class citizens, so I wouldn't go by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
 
309 posts, read 445,962 times
Reputation: 99
There isn't one I do know that it says for the women to be silent in the church but to understand that you have to understand how the church was running at that time. The women sat on one side and the men on the other side of the church. The women would holler across to the men and ask any questions that they had. That is when the women were told to be silent in the church and if they had any question then to ask their husbands later. Now it never says that a woman can't preach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
There isn't one I do know that it says for the women to be silent in the church but to understand that you have to understand how the church was running at that time. The women sat on one side and the men on the other side of the church. The women would holler across to the men and ask any questions that they had. That is when the women were told to be silent in the church and if they had any question then to ask their husbands later. Now it never says that a woman can't preach.
Ohhhhhh....the bible was meant for that time. Then why do we read the bible today? why isn't sex before marriage of that time as well? a little bit old fashioned and unrealistic wouldn't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,901,223 times
Reputation: 290
An honest question...should all women have long hair, too? I've always wondered if the two go hand in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Our church, Presbyterian, has three pastors, one of which is a woman. There are several denominations that allow women pastors, so if you agree with it, choose one of those denominations.

When the Bible was written, women were considered 2nd class citizens, so I wouldn't go by that.

Oh well then, that settles it toss out the bible


Are you even a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
An honest question...should all women have long hair, too? I've always wondered if the two go hand in hand.
These were the cultural laws for the Jews at that time, women were to have long hair and men to have short hair. Incidently Jesus had short hair. That does not apply to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,901,223 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
These were the cultural laws for the Jews at that time, women were to have long hair and men to have short hair. Incidently Jesus had short hair. That does not apply to us.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top