U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 PM

604 posts, read 982,928 times

Advertisements

Ahhhhhh shaddap! Quit yer yappin' and whining! This is semi-serious and semi-important.

Ok, here's the deal. In the past few days there were a few times that it was mentioned that former Christians are not really true Christians. You get the idea when you hear that, it's a subtle way of saying that said former Christians have no say in matters Christian...like to give any opinions or make any observations regarding the religion because frankly, the opinions and observations may be contrary to the usual babble.

On the other hand, many former Christians are not full blown atheists either, but as far as the Christian is concerned, because the fomer Christian probably has lost any belief in the Christian god, that qualifies him or her as an atheist. He can deny every god, just not theirs. You're either a believer or an atheist. "Agnostic" might as well mean atheist as far as they are concerned.

As a result, the former Christian might not really share the definitive line of the atheist - no belief in a deity. There is no "maybe" in classic atheism. So where does the former Christian go. Why, his or her own forum of course; a place where they can go and britch and moan about the horrors Christianity played upon their pysche and not be told, "well you were never a True Christian™" and if anyone does, they can tell them to go blow it out their butt.

Ok, ok, ok! I hear you former Muslims yappin.' Wait...City Data has such people? I've yet to see one or a former Buddhist or Hindu for that matter so a forum for you guys might just grow tumbleweeds. I also say that the forum for former Christians also be inclusive for former Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists and Klans Men. I say the forum wold be a success because I know for a fact, the True Christians™ are often very interested in the reasons such people cold have left that wonderful, hapy land of mental bliss they enjoy.

So whadaya think folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,732,395 times
Default With the advantage of ...

... 6 hours ahead of your time, and given the fact that this forum is read outside of the U.S.A. as well, and with (hopefully) increasing interest, I may be just one to whom this certainly is a great idea.
Thank you for sharing (and perhaps extending a hand to those neeeding a more personalized invitation).

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,902,165 times
lol Hey, I like the idea. All is fair in love and war and all that.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM

706 posts, read 1,109,196 times
I am neither for or against the idea, I guess I would have to know the pro's and con's before I could embrace a new forum.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM

604 posts, read 982,928 times
Um...whoever sent that rep for this thread, can they rewrite it please? I have NO clue what you were trying to say. Drop a name along with it too please. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM

783 posts, read 1,183,759 times
I moved in a few weeks ago also. My brief experience leads me to believe that the three boards here are sufficient to support the diverse interests and variety of topics.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,015,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I moved in a few weeks ago also. My brief experience leads me to believe that the three boards here are sufficient to support the diverse interests and variety of topics.
Agreed. The R&P is for all such ideas and at one point that was all there was. The split came because atheism/agnosticism has enough traffic to support it's own sub-forum, and so does Christianity.

Personally, I don't mind former Christians participating in the Christianity sub-forum or even atheists, as long as it's not trolling. Most of the time one can tell. More opportunity to try and change their minds.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Personally, I don't mind former Christians participating in the Christianity sub-forum or even atheists, as long as it's not trolling. Most of the time one can tell. More opportunity to try and change their minds.
I agree. I bet most former Christians would be surprised to know that many of us can relate to where they are - many times we've all wanted to throw in the towel and quite. Faithful? Not me, only Him. If it weren't for the steadfast love of the Lord, we'd all fall away.

Like Keith Green said, "Nothing lasts, except the grace of God".

Old 01-10-2009, 06:30 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,015,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I agree. I bet most former Christians would be surprised to know that many of us can relate to where they are - many times we've all wanted to throw in the towel and quite. Faithful? Not me, only Him. If it weren't for the steadfast love of the Lord, we'd all fall away.

Like Keith Green said, "Nothing lasts, except the grace of God".
Absolutely, Elmer. I spent most of my life denying, questioning and ignoring God. The transformation takes place when we really commit and submit to Christ. I say this a lot because it's so true, and because I HAVE been on both sides............it's a whole lot easier to run with the devil than to walk with Christ. Easy in this life, though, gets you indescribable hardship in the next. Reminds me of these scriptures:

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

(This one in particular, speaks so much to losing the faith)
Galatians 5:7
You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,284,432 times
I agree that the three areas are enough for anyone to post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity