U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,933 times

Advertisements

1. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding.
(John 16:13) "13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

2. Do not pull a Scripture out of the verses that surround it and assume that the meaning of the verse is not reliant on the surrounding verses. You should always read the surrounding verses and chapters, and be familiar with the purpose of the book.
(2 Timothy 3:16) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

(2 Peter 1:21) "21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

3. Do not attempt to be totally independent in your studying of the Bible. It is arrogance to think that you cannot gain understanding through the lifelong work of others who have studied Scripture. Some people, in error, approach the Bible with the idea that they will depend on the Holy Spirit alone and they will discover all the hidden truths of Scripture. Christ, in the giving of the Holy Spirit, has given gifted people and spiritual gifts to the body of Christ. One of these spiritual gifts is that of teaching.
(1 Corinthians 12:28) "28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. "

(Ephesians 4:11-12) "11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up"

4. Buy some good, conservative, reliable commenteries and Bible resource books to help you in your own study of the God's Word.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-10-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,272,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
1. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. (John 16:13) "13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

2. Do not pull a Scripture out of the verses that surround it and assume that the meaning of the verse is not reliant on the surrounding verses. You should always read the surrounding verses and chapters, and be familiar with the purpose of the book. (2 Timothy 3:16) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

3. Do not attempt to be totally independent in your studying of the Bible. It is arrogance to think that you cannot gain understanding through the lifelong work of others who have studied Scripture. Some people, in error, approach the Bible with the idea that they will depend on the Holy Spirit alone and they will discover all the hidden truths of Scripture. (1 Corinthians 12:28) "28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. "

4. Buy some good, conservative, reliable commenteries and Bible resource books to help you in your own study of the God's Word.
Proper exegesis of Scripture is very important. The sad fact of the matter is that people don't read Scripture in it's context. One of the ones that the JWs have not properly read in its context is Colossians 1:15. The context is clear, and the ENTIRE book is clear about Pauls message to the Colossians-Jesus reigns Supreme OVER creation since ALL creation was made by him, for him, and through him. Firstborn Over creation places him ABOVE creation since he was right there with his Father when All of creation started.

Commentaries are good, but they still don't override what the Bible says or means. Many times people read bad commentaries, and especially commentaries that SUPPORT their view on biblical topics.

I always make it a rule to remember what does the ENTIRE bible say about that topic, and if in some cases it's only one verse that addresses that topic, then I let that verse stand ON ITS OWN-BY NOT TRYING TO READ ANY ADDITIONAL MEANING IN TO IT.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM

40,053 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Proper exegesis of Scripture is very important. . . .
I always make it a rule to remember what does the ENTIRE bible say about that topic, and if in some cases it's only one verse that addresses that topic, then I let that verse stand ON ITS OWN-BY NOT TRYING TO READ ANY ADDITIONAL MEANING IN TO IT.
Canonical exegesis is only one of the many ways hermeneutics can be achieved, antredd.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM

71 posts, read 99,148 times
I have begun to understand this...That which we perceive is affected by what we fail to notice. I know it’s a quote from somewhere I'm not sure. It seems a bit of odd logic but it seems true. One of the things I’ve noted about our learning...Primarily we learn the way we were taught. Our society comes from greco-roman roots. The modern church does as well. I’ve found it useful to try and look at the Hebrew culture for understanding of what teachings and parables meant. I also have been looking that the Word was meant for me today as well as my son or my great-great-great-etc. grandfather. No matter how much the World has modernized or kept up with the latest trend of liberalism or some other humanistic justification, the community of believers is out side of this.

I come full circle to- Who was this Jesus person, and how did He walk? Who were the apostles and how did they walk? The church is persecuted because it is outside of the realm of the world’s normalcy.

Yeah I know that the New Testament was written mostly in Greek. But it was written by sons of Jacob.

What we fail to perceive is that we have not been taught from a Hebrew perspective. I have seen smatterings of understanding that have incorporate this, but it seems a difficult hill to climb do to where we come from.

Last edited by quesodano; 01-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,420,510 times
Dear Fundy...Thank you for a very loving, meaningful and thoughtful thread...being mindful of others' needs...the importance of learning how to study with understanding the Word of God can not be understated...especially now...today...in the times we are living in...Love

Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,272,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Canonical exegesis is only one of the many ways hermeneutics can be achieved, antredd.
I agree with you, and since now we are becoming technical, which I didn't want to get, hermeneutics addresses proper ways of interpreting Scripture. Since so many people interpret the bible differently, hermeneutics has made it possible to come up with a method of interpretation that is sensible and understandable. With that said, hermeneutics does not investigate the objective truth of a writer's meaning, which has been established by its canons; it does not inquire what is true or false, but only what the writer intended to say. It allows the bible student to follow an agreed upon set of principles in biblical exegesis as you stated.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM

5,441 posts, read 4,867,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
1. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding.
(John 16:13) "13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

2. Do not pull a Scripture out of the verses that surround it and assume that the meaning of the verse is not reliant on the surrounding verses. You should always read the surrounding verses and chapters, and be familiar with the purpose of the book.
(2 Timothy 3:16) "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

(2 Peter 1:21) "21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

3.Do not attempt to be totally independent in your studying of the Bible. It is arrogance to think that you cannot gain understanding through the lifelong work of others who have studied Scripture. Some people, in error, approach the Bible with the idea that they will depend on the Holy Spirit alone and they will discover all the hidden truths of Scripture. [/color][b][color=red]Christ, in the giving of the Holy Spirit, has given gifted people and spiritual gifts to the body of Christ. One of these spiritual gifts is that of teaching.
(1 Corinthians 12:28) "28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. "

(Ephesians 4:11-12) "11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare Godís people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up"

The verse in John 13:16 is speaking of the baptism of the Holy Ghost that would come on, and after, the day of Pentecost; this experience is available to us today, yet many overlook it.

In John 14:17, Jesus said, "Even the Spirit of truth [the Holy Ghost]; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."

When you are born-again, He dwells with you; but, when you are baptized by Him, then He dwells in you. These are two separate experiences.

(Acts 1:5) Jesus said, "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence."

And yes, it's the Holy Ghost that helps you to study the scriptures.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM

17,751 posts, read 15,646,080 times
I would certainly not go out and buy books to help me understand scripture. You don't need your own understanding of it. Its simple. God's word is for the poor, simple and out casts. There is no such thing as complex exegesis or secret code like "prophetic years" or mysterious gaps. About the only complex thing for us is understanding a different language and culture. However scripture is fundamentally simple. Its the charlatans that like to create complexity.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM

40,053 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I would certainly not go out and buy books to help me understand scripture. You don't need your own understanding of it. Its simple. God's word is for the poor, simple and out casts. There is no such thing as complex exegesis or secret code like "prophetic years" or mysterious gaps. About the only complex thing for us is understanding a different language and culture. However scripture is fundamentally simple. Its the charlatans that like to create complexity.
For the simple-minded it is simple . . . for the moderately intelligent it is confusing . . for the highly intelligent it is complex. It is merely a record of our species spiritual evolution complete with the physical barbarities that accompanied it. But they were sincere attempts to understand God (hence they were inspired and contain truth). Read it whatever way leads you to follow Jesus's example in your daily life . . . if it does that you are reading it correctly for YOU. If it leads you away from Jesus . . . you are reading it incorrectly for YOU . . . and you need to invest more effort into understanding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity