Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I am sadly a bad Catholic on this. I have not been to confession in many many years. I didn't have a bad experience, and I do believe in confession, but it's difficult for me to confess some deeply private sins I've done. Also I had two manic breaks with reality so at times it's hard for me to know what was sin and what was mental illness. And then after enough years past it seemed that it would be too hard or too embarrassing to go.

Still I'm hoping to get the gumption to go to confession soon. Right now I'm having to work out how to get my new wheelchair in the van so that's an understandable delay, but hopefully after that I'll manage.
Why are you going to confession? You should be confessing your sins in prayer to Jesus Christ. He is the only one that can wipe away your sins seeing as how he died for them on the cross. Where did you get the idea that any human being can take your sins away? I understand you are Catholic however The Bible says here

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time.

You can still put your faith in Jesus even as a catholic. Your religion or denomination doesn't matter to him. Anyone who merely calls on the name of Jesus will be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:06 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I am sadly a bad Catholic on this. I have not been to confession in many many years. I didn't have a bad experience, and I do believe in confession, but it's difficult for me to confess some deeply private sins I've done. Also I had two manic breaks with reality so at times it's hard for me to know what was sin and what was mental illness. And then after enough years past it seemed that it would be too hard or too embarrassing to go.

Still I'm hoping to get the gumption to go to confession soon. Right now I'm having to work out how to get my new wheelchair in the van so that's an understandable delay, but hopefully after that I'll manage.

If your deeply private sins would require reporting to law enforcement, then just get on your knees (figuratively, as it sounds like you cannot manage actual kneeling) and confess them to God directly. You don't need to go through a priest or confessional to receive forgiveness from God. If you are sincerly repentative, God will forgive you. Our God is a merciful God, a God who gives grace to his children.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Why are you going to confession? You should be confessing your sins in prayer to Jesus Christ. He is the only one that can wipe away your sins seeing as how he died for them on the cross. Where did you get the idea that any human being can take your sins away? I understand you are Catholic however The Bible says here

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time.

You can still put your faith in Jesus even as a catholic. Your religion or denomination doesn't matter to him. Anyone who merely calls on the name of Jesus will be saved.
as a catholic we are told to confess to a priest following Christ's instructions to his disciples and go out amongst the people to forgive sins-----cannot quote the exact words but in the catholic church the priests forgive sins just as the apostles were told to do

also in confessing them the priest in turn instructs us in ways to avoid the sins we have committed and live a more godlike life
finally he prays over and for us and blesses us and who can fault that as we all need to be prayed over

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Why are you going to confession?
I am a Catholic and accept the seven sacraments. I believe in the validity of a person giving me perspective on sin and accept the role of priest that exists in most Christianity.

Quote:
You should be confessing your sins in prayer to Jesus Christ.
I do that too. As I recall every night Catholics are to examine their day and their conscience. However I think it makes sense have a person talk to you and I believe in that.

Quote:
He is the only one that can wipe away your sins seeing as how he died for them on the cross. Where did you get the idea that any human being can take your sins away? I understand you are Catholic however The Bible says
I'll get you some links on Catholicism and Orthodoxy so you have a better perspective on how confession works in both. (There are differences I grant)

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Sacrament of Penance
Catechism of the Catholic Church - PART 2 SECTION 2 CHAPTER 2 ARTICLE 4
Preparation for Holy Confession — Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
http://www.orthodox.net/confess/index.html

My instant urge was to be uncharitable to your post, but I am going to try to curb that urge. Suffice it to say I believe in the principles I believe. I respect that you don't.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM

111 posts, read 179,724 times
Thomas R, Just want to let you know that I enjoy reading your posts. When I detect your name in a thread, I will make sure I read whatever you wrote. As far as I know, your answers always have been charitable, the sign of a true Christian.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,612 times
Good experiences, always. In the sacramental sense and in everyday life. Confession is good for the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity