U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 02:28 AM

14,747 posts, read 29,203,083 times

Advertisements

I went to confession this afternoon...hadn't been in about one and a half months. I went in there "with a chip" as I had had a bad morning and afternoon. The priest, an elderly Irish man from the accent, was very positive vis-a-vis my negativity and said some very kind things. I left and went about the remainder of my day in a better frame of mind.

I have had 2 bad confessions in my life...one in the Vatican while in vacation and a horrific one in Atlanta last fall. It was so bad that, shortly thereafter, I went to another parish, told the priest what had just happened and went through it again. The priest actually apologized for the bad effect the preceding confession had on me.

Most of my confessions as an adult have been very good experiences. The one that stands out was one that I had in Canada while on vacation. It was an African priest. His words were so insightful and uplifting that I was practically moved to tears...and I've got one helluva an edge.

At any rate, for me confession has been more of a constructive experience than a negative one. Any opinions or experiences with this based on your actual experience rather than conjecture?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 AM

396 posts, read 754,526 times
I went to confession while I was in college for the first time in something like 7 or 8 years. I turned down Box Seats to a Phillies game with my (now ex-) boyfriend to go to an appointment with the priest for confession. I was afraid he'd either drop his Bible or fall over when I told him it had been 7 or 8 years. He didn't do either. Just smiled, said I looked nervous, and walked me through it again...going right down through the commandments. Even my pennance wasn't as bad as I remembered from childhood. That priest definitely made it a good experience...and took one hell of a weight off my shoulders.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,903,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I went to confession this afternoon...hadn't been in about one and a half months. I went in there "with a chip" as I had had a bad morning and afternoon. The priest, an elderly Irish man from the accent, was very positive vis-a-vis my negativity and said some very kind things. I left and went about the remainder of my day in a better frame of mind.

I have had 2 bad confessions in my life...one in the Vatican while in vacation and a horrific one in Atlanta last fall. It was so bad that, shortly thereafter, I went to another parish, told the priest what had just happened and went through it again. The priest actually apologized for the bad effect the preceding confession had on me.

Most of my confessions as an adult have been very good experiences. The one that stands out was one that I had in Canada while on vacation. It was an African priest. His words were so insightful and uplifting that I was practically moved to tears...and I've got one helluva an edge.

At any rate, for me confession has been more of a constructive experience than a negative one. Any opinions or experiences with this based on your actual experience rather than conjecture?
I was baptized and raised in the Methodist faith. Took classes and converted over to Catholic as an adult. I asked the priest holding the classes "why do we have to do confessions? why do I have to confess my sins to a human being when I can do it directly to God? He really didn't have an answer for me.

So I did go to confession 2 times; didn't like it. Each time was given a set of prayers to do. My belief is I can and do talk directly to God. For me to go to confession feels like I am going to someone who thinks they are in a higher position with God then the rest of us. I don't need another human being listening to my sins when I can go directly to my Father to do so. I don't consider myself Catholic or Methodist, just someone who loves and believes in God.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,819,735 times
Default confession

always was a substitute guilt trip being sent on by people woefully unaware of kind and loving relationships.

a sorry state of affairs. (for me)

Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,465,120 times
I am a methodist and have often talked to my pastoor about things that bothered me. I have always thought that cahoilics tradition of confession help the person as much as talking to a counselor. Just like a counselor it can be a bad expericence or a good one is my thought.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,660,527 times
Mine have always been positive experiences. However, I've noticed that many priests seem rushed and "just want to get it over with" and don't offer many admonitions or counsels. I haven't had any of the bad experiences that people often mention (and I believe truly harsh confessors are rare nowadays, and even in more conservative pre-V2 days were the exception), but on the other hand I haven't had a really insightful confessor, either (maybe because I tend to make confessions on an occasional basis and not with the same priest). Probably my best confession was the one administered with my last rites before I went in for brain surgery, because the priest knew our family very well.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,226,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Mine have always been positive experiences. However, I've noticed that many priests seem rushed and "just want to get it over with" and don't offer many admonitions or counsels. I haven't had any of the bad experiences that people often mention (and I believe truly harsh confessors are rare nowadays, and even in more conservative pre-V2 days were the exception), but on the other hand I haven't had a really insightful confessor, either (maybe because I tend to make confessions on an occasional basis and not with the same priest). Probably my best confession was the one administered with my last rites before I went in for brain surgery, because the priest knew our family very well.
you are right--priests now don't counsel and do rush through---i encourage my ccd students to go but go infrequently myself cause as one ages the most serious sin one can commit is lying to your doctor about following all his instructions

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 AM

111 posts, read 155,349 times
I can't recall ever having a bad experience with confession. I do notice that the more I go the less inclinend I am "to sin no more." By humbling yourself by confessing to another person who has been given the ministry of reconciliation 2Cor 5,18, However, I am totally not perfect. It is an never ending battle.

I notice that I do receive aid, strength, and power to lessen my sinning because of traits and weaknesses which are inherent in my character. I experience a certain lightness that comes over me each time I leave the confessional by having admitted to sins that so easily can be kept in the dark. I also notice that I tread more cautiously and stop before I am about to commit another sin. I also notice how I become more sensitive to and be aware of the workings of the evil one and his temptations. This verse comes to mind in 1 Pet.5,8, as I am typing this.

Last edited by Tweedlydee; 09-01-2011 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: Corrected mispelled word

Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,389,524 times
I am sadly a bad Catholic on this. I have not been to confession in many many years. I didn't have a bad experience, and I do believe in confession, but it's difficult for me to confess some deeply private sins I've done. Also I had two manic breaks with reality so at times it's hard for me to know what was sin and what was mental illness. And then after enough years past it seemed that it would be too hard or too embarrassing to go.

Still I'm hoping to get the gumption to go to confession soon. Right now I'm having to work out how to get my new wheelchair in the van so that's an understandable delay, but hopefully after that I'll manage.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

111 posts, read 155,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I am sadly a bad Catholic on this. I have not been to confession in many many years. I didn't have a bad experience, and I do believe in confession, but it's difficult for me to confess some deeply private sins I've done. Also I had two manic breaks with reality so at times it's hard for me to know what was sin and what was mental illness. And then after enough years past it seemed that it would be too hard or too embarrassing to go.

Still I'm hoping to get the gumption to go to confession soon. Right now I'm having to work out how to get my new wheelchair in the van so that's an understandable delay, but hopefully after that I'll manage.
Hi Thomas, I am not trying to chide you. Just my way of looking at things, because I know you are aware that the sooner you get rid of unconfessed sins, the healthier your spiritual life will be. Jump in the water, in this case confessional booth - get it over with. Confessors have heard it all. I pray for you will be able to go soon. May God bless you and be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity