U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,902,778 times

Advertisements

World Citizen...on more about my original post... I wonder sometimes if we know those two commandments yet fail to revisit them because we know them so well? Does that make any sense? Shouldn't we put those in front of us before we witness to someone or even have discussion?

This is purely study for me...discussion. I have no hidden agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,136,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
World Citizen...on more about my original post... I wonder sometimes if we know those two commandments yet fail to revisit them because we know them so well? Does that make any sense? Shouldn't we put those in front of us before we witness to someone or even have discussion?

This is purely study for me...discussion. I have no hidden agenda.
or, it's just possible that we miss the point.... thinking that it's more important to be right....

I just looked at what my Commentary said about the scripture you quoted in Matthew. Jesus was talking to people who were challenging him about the Law and the Commandments -- which is most important???

This was His answer.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,902,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
or, it's just possible that we miss the point.... thinking that it's more important to be right....

I just looked at what my Commentary said about the scripture you quoted in Matthew. Jesus was talking to people who were challenging him about the Law and the Commandments -- which is most important???

This was His answer.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
I don't know. I hope it isn't about being right. I imagine a lot of the time it is. I don't want it to be.

If we look at Deuteronomy 6:5-9 where we're told the commandments should be pressed upon our hearts, to impress them on our children, talk about them while sitting at home and while walking along a road, when we lie down and when we get up, tie them as symbols on our hands, bind them on our foreheads, write them on our doorframes and gates... It isn't about being right at all...it's about living by them every moment of every day...not taking it for granted that we know them but refreshing them in our minds and hearts each day?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM

302 posts, read 477,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You are ON!
Luke 10: 30-37

Jesus stated flat out that the priest and the elder of the guys own church was NOT a neighbor to the man. In fact, as a Samaritan, Jews were prohibited to have contact with him. However, JESUS NAMES THE SAMARITAN as the neighbor.

But go ahead, help only those of your denomination. Have compassion for only those who attend your services. Life is too short to argue about such things. We will know soon enough who our neighbor is. For your sake, I pray you are not wrong........but we both know the truth, don't we?

It is abundantly clear that the Old Testament concept of neighbour = brother was carried over into the thinking of the apostles in the New Testament. Jesus carefully defined who our brothers in Christ are. He said:

"My mother and my BRETHREN are these which hear the word of God and do it." Luke 8:21

Therefore, the New Testament formula for neighbor would be: NEIGHBOR = BROTHER = THOSE WHO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD AND DO IT

Just as in the Old Testament, the neighbor is one who obeys the law of God. Why then did the Jewish lawyer who certainly understood this principal ask Jesus: "Who is my neighbor?" And why did Jesus answer the lawyer by telling him the parable of the good Samaritan? In order to understand both the question and the answer, we must consider the historical background:

"The Jews hated them [the Samaritans] and would have nothing to do with them. Over the centuries, the Assyrians intermarried with Jews to form the hybrid group known as the Samaritans. The Jews did not accept them as their neighbours and it was with this in view that Jesus spoke to the Jews the parable of the good Samaritan". (Howard Lindsell)

The Jewish lawyer knew that Jesus had made converts among the Samaritans (Luke 9:52) and wanted to justify himself in his hatred of them, even though they were related by race and religion. (The Samaritans kept the Torah) Jesus responded to the lawyer by telling the parable and then asking him which of the three who passed by the hurt man proved to be neighbour unto him. The lawyer said: "He that showed mercy on him".

Jesus proved to the lawyer that the Levite and the priest (whom the lawyer loved as a neighbour) were not his neighbors because they did not really obey God's law. On the other hand, the Samaritan whom the lawyer hated, proved to be his neighbour because he did obey God's command to "love thy neighbour as thyself".

Again we see the principle that our neighbour in the biblical sense is not simply someone who is near, but one who is a believer in God and keeps His Commandments.

Now I will say this: If I believed that every man is my neighbor, then I would consider myself a hypocrite if I didn't feed and clothe that homeless drug-addict and take him into my home.

Since it is a salvation issue to love your neighbour as yourself you might want to welcome the nearest homeless drug addict into your home.

If you look, I am sure that you could probably find one tonight.

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info

Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,268,652 times
Good thread StirringWaters and some good wisdom coming from it..... !
Oh, isn't it wonderful how we learn and grow so much by His Spirit in the heart of our brother and sister in the Lord.

Blessings!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,916,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post

Jesus proved to the lawyer that the Levite and the priest (whom the lawyer loved as a neighbour) were not his neighbors because they did not really obey God's law. On the other hand, the Samaritan whom the lawyer hated, proved to be his neighbour because he did obey God's command to "love thy neighbour as thyself".
Where did anyone say anything about the Samaritan obeying Gods command? My book must be messed up, cause it doesn't mention a thing about that.
Quote:
Again we see the principle that our neighbour in the biblical sense is not simply someone who is near, but one who is a believer in God and keeps His Commandments.
Again, where do you see anything but a racist comment about the heritage of the guy who did do what a neighbor should do?
Quote:
Now I will say this: If I believed that every man is my neighbor, then I would consider myself a hypocrite if I didn't feed and clothe that homeless drug-addict and take him into my home.
Ok, consider yourself anything you want.
Quote:
Since it is a salvation issue to love your neighbour as yourself you might want to welcome the nearest homeless drug addict into your home.
In fact I have done that frequently....not so much the drug addict, but homeless families.....but, just as Jesus didn't take care of every poor, homeless, disadvantage person in the middle east, I don't feel compelled to take in everyone who happens to be down and out....just those that I am led to.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,895,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Where did anyone say anything about the Samaritan obeying Gods command? My book must be messed up, cause it doesn't mention a thing about that.

Again, where do you see anything but a racist comment about the heritage of the guy who did do what a neighbor should do?

Ok, consider yourself anything you want.

In fact I have done that frequently....not so much the drug addict, but homeless families.....but, just as Jesus didn't take care of every poor, homeless, disadvantage person in the middle east, I don't feel compelled to take in everyone who happens to be down and out....just those that I am led to.
Actually I think you did a very good job of explaining what the Bible actually means on these issues. As in any of these forums, there are individuals, even here, who have claimed some sort of Visions, Dreams, or other supernatural spiritistic experience to where they have arrived at the conclusions they have. There really is no sound basis really for arguing with them since their whole belief stems from some personal supernatural calling, and in the end what can you do as far as proving or disproving. Just leave them to their belief. You can google the website and people in question and find out quite alot of controversy, But again it's a personal descision to debate with them.

There are individuals who claimed Supernatural experiences with the Holy Spirit in translating a new bible translation. Here's what an independent and neutral organization has to advise on such translations. The advise could also be recommended for even continuing debates or discussions that go no where.

International Society of Bible Collectors
"Bible Translations you should not trust"
Bible Translations You Should Not Trust

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 61,467 times
Should you prayerfully examine these two commandments that the Messiah gave you will see that in walking in them - practicing them - you will be obedient to the ten commandments.

Real love, a God love, naturally fulfills the believer's walk of obedience; but always it is the intent - God looks at the intent of the heart.

Do we walk in a law of bondage? One who is in love with God willing gets the Egypt out of themselves by submission to Christ and guidance by the scripture and the Holy Spirit. Should we not walk in the higher spiritual law of love?

For the Law was given by Moses, but GRACE and TRUTH came by Jesus Christ. John 1:17

When one examines the ten commandments (Ex. 20:1) one can see that:

The first four of the ten commandments are the law directives honoring God which is the Messiah's direct commandment of loving the Lord God wholeheartedly and completely. (Remember these were given to people that had been so surrounded by pagan worship they made the golden calf. They did not know God personally.)

The next six of the ten commandments of the law tell man how to live peacefully amongst each other (society's laws have been based on these). This is done by the true believer; the individual who walks in the love obedience of the Messiahs directive of loving your neighbor as yourself. How can you steal, kill, covet etc. if you love your neighbor as yourself?

The directive and the two commandments of the Messiah, Jesus the Christ, are motivated by essence of God himself and that is love.

blessings

Last edited by mDees; 01-12-2009 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity