U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is Your Favorite Pastor?
Creflo Dollar 3 2.86%
Joel Osteen 14 13.33%
TD Jakes 10 9.52%
Joyce Meyer 19 18.10%
Neither 59 56.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:13 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,658,474 times

Advertisements

I think those who have a true relationship with the FATHER will know in their spirit when a pastor or spiritual leader is true or not.

If people would allow themselves to be led more by the HOLY SPIRIT instead of by a pastor, minister or bishop, then they would be able to "see" (through the eyes of GOD) the true spirit of this person -- which would include knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt if they were sent by the LORD or not.

If this were ever to truly happen, the congregations in some of today's megachurches would most likely greatly decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 06:45 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,105,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I think those who have a true relationship with the FATHER will know in their spirit when a pastor or spiritual leader is true or not.

If people would allow themselves to be led more by the HOLY SPIRIT instead of by a pastor, minister or bishop, then they would be able to "see" (through the eyes of GOD) the true spirit of this person -- which would include knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt if they were sent by the LORD or not.

If this were ever to truly happen, the congregations in some of today's megachurches would most likely greatly decrease.
can i add an AMEN!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,891 times
I have listened, seen, and heard Osteen, Jakes, Meyers, and without any hesitation I recommend Less Fldick teachings. He is sincere and I believe Holy Spirit lead. He is an example that one does not necessarily need Thelogical Training, Biblical Training to teach God's Word. Let me hasten to add that I am a firm believer in TRAINING. J. Vernon McGee, MacArthur, Swindoll, Stanley, James Merritt, Dallas Seminary TX, Moody Bible School Chicago and other solid evangelical schools and teachers have done a good job of solid Biblical teaching.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,417,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stubblefield View Post
I have listened, seen, and heard Osteen, Jakes, Meyers, and without any hesitation I recommend Less Fldick teachings. He is sincere and I believe Holy Spirit lead. He is an example that one does not necessarily need Thelogical Training, Biblical Training to teach God's Word. Let me hasten to add that I am a firm believer in TRAINING. J. Vernon McGee, MacArthur, Swindoll, Stanley, James Merritt, Dallas Seminary TX, Moody Bible School Chicago and other solid evangelical schools and teachers have done a good job of solid Biblical teaching.
...Less Fldick ?...spelling of his name...is it correct ?...please provide some info on him...thank you.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,417,556 times
Default The Seminary Way or Paul's Way ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stubblefield View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...Less Fldick ?...spelling of his name...is it correct ?...please provide some info on him...thank you.
Never mind James, I found out all I need to know about your "so-called" sincere...Holy Spirit lead...example of one who needs no training.

Throw them all in a bucket and pour them all out together on the ground and you'll find no difference in any of them.

*Disclaimer : I don't have anything on Merritt, James.....but I concure he has had that same lost, uninformed, misguided, false teaching, ever-so-important-doctrine-teaching from your so-called "solid" evangelical schools that you so highly recommend.

THEY ALL FALSELY TEACH WHAT THEY ALL HAVE FALSELY BEEN TAUGHT BY THOSE FALSE TEACHERS WHO WERE FALSELY TAUGHT BY THEIR FALSE TEACHERS THAT:

One can continue to sin and still inherit life.

Charles Stanley is the worst...

Charles Stanley says that even those who stop believing in Christ cannot be lost.

For example Stanley writes:

"The Bible clearly teaches that God's love for His people is of such magnitude that even those who walk away from the faith have not the
slightest chance of slipping from His hand." p. 74

"The unfaithful believer will not receive a special place in the kingdom of Christ like those who are fortunate enough to be allowed to reign with Him.
But the unfaithful believer will not lose his salvation." p. 93

"The apostle's meaning is evident. Even if a believer for all practical purposes becomes an unbeliever, his salvation is not in jeopardy. Christ will remain faithful." p.93

"And last, believers who lose or abandon their faith will retain their salvation, for God remains faithful." p. 94.

Quotes taken from: "Eternal Security" by Charles Stanley Oliver Nelson Press, A division of Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Paul was a tireless missionary...who taught God's truth every step of the way in every city....on every street corner...in every Temple he happened upon...wherever God lead him, he was a faithful servant of Jesus Christ. His way is the way....you can take all the seminaries and Bible colleges in the universe and burn them up and it would be doing the Kingdom of God a service.

Acts 27–28
Paul Testifies All the Way to Rome
The Roman authorities in Judea realized that Paul had done nothing wrong and were in favor of letting him go free. But Paul had requested to be tried before Caesar, so he was sent to Rome (see Acts 26:31–32 ). That might seem unfortunate to us, but it was actually a blessing for Paul. Had he been freed in Judea, the Jews would have continued to try to kill him. Also, the Lord had told Paul that he would “bear witness also at Rome” ( Acts 23:11 ). Sending Paul to Rome as a prisoner of the empire was the safest way to get him there even though the journey was difficult. Paul faced many challenges while on the Lord’s errand, but he was also able to testify all the way to Rome. Notice the opportunities that came to Paul that he would not have had if the journey had been easier.
http://seminary.lds.org/content/images/manuals/nt-ssg/p-109-2.gif (broken link)Paul’s journey to Rome
[click for scalable version]
Understanding the Scriptures

Acts 27
Contrary ( v.4 )—Blowing in the wrong direction
The fast ( v.9 )—The day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
Admonished ( v.9 )—Warned
Commodious ( v.12 )—Comfortable, suitable
Undergirding the ship ( v.17 )—Tying ropes under the ship
Long abstinence ( v.21 )—Long time without food
Sounded ( v.28 )—Dropped a rope to measure the depth of water
Twenty fathoms ( v.28 )—100–120 feet (36.5 meters); one fathom is six feet (1.8 meters)
Under colour ( v.30 )—Pretending
Threescore ( v.37 )—Sixty; one score is twenty
http://seminary.lds.org/content/images/manuals/nt-ssg/p-110-1.gif (broken link)
Acts 28
Melita ( v.1 )—Malta
Barbarous people, barbarians ( vv.2, 4 )—Those people were called barbarous because they spoke neither Greek nor Latin, not because they were uncivilized.
Viper ( v.3 )—Poisonous snake
Vengeance ( v.4 )—God’s justice
Laded ( v.10 )—Supplied
Suffered ( v.16 )—Allowed, permitted
Constrained ( v.19 )—Forced by circumstances, of necessity
This sect ( v.22 )—Christianity, the Church of Jesus Christ
Acts 28:30 —The Final Years of Paul’s Life

We learn from other sources that Paul was tried and released after two years in Rome. He visited several more places in his missionary efforts, perhaps traveling as far as Spain. After about four years he was arrested again and taken to Rome. He was martyred there, probably in the spring of A.D. 65. (See Bible Dictionary, “Paul,” pp.742–43 .)

God Bless you,
Verna.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,259,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Never mind James, I found out all I need to know about your "so-called" sincere...Holy Spirit lead...example of one who needs no training.

Throw them all in a bucket and pour them all out together on the ground and you'll find no difference in any of them.

*Disclaimer : I don't have anything on Merritt, James.....but I concure he has had that same lost, uninformed, misguided, false teaching, ever-so-important-doctrine-teaching from your so-called "solid" evangelical schools that you so highly recommend.

THEY ALL FALSELY TEACH WHAT THEY ALL HAVE FALSELY BEEN TAUGHT BY THOSE FALSE TEACHERS WHO WERE FALSELY TAUGHT BY THEIR FALSE TEACHERS THAT:

One can continue to sin and still inherit life.

Charles Stanley is the worst...

Charles Stanley says that even those who stop believing in Christ cannot be lost.

For example Stanley writes:

"The Bible clearly teaches that God's love for His people is of such magnitude that even those who walk away from the faith have not the
slightest chance of slipping from His hand." p. 74

"The unfaithful believer will not receive a special place in the kingdom of Christ like those who are fortunate enough to be allowed to reign with Him.
But the unfaithful believer will not lose his salvation." p. 93

"The apostle's meaning is evident. Even if a believer for all practical purposes becomes an unbeliever, his salvation is not in jeopardy. Christ will remain faithful." p.93

"And last, believers who lose or abandon their faith will retain their salvation, for God remains faithful." p. 94.

Quotes taken from: "Eternal Security" by Charles Stanley Oliver Nelson Press, A division of Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Paul was a tireless missionary...who taught God's truth every step of the way in every city....on every street corner...in every Temple he happened upon...wherever God lead him, he was a faithful servant of Jesus Christ. His way is the way....you can take all the seminaries and Bible colleges in the universe and burn them up and it would be doing the Kingdom of God a service.

Acts 27–28
Paul Testifies All the Way to Rome
The Roman authorities in Judea realized that Paul had done nothing wrong and were in favor of letting him go free. But Paul had requested to be tried before Caesar, so he was sent to Rome (see Acts 26:31–32 ). That might seem unfortunate to us, but it was actually a blessing for Paul. Had he been freed in Judea, the Jews would have continued to try to kill him. Also, the Lord had told Paul that he would “bear witness also at Rome” ( Acts 23:11 ). Sending Paul to Rome as a prisoner of the empire was the safest way to get him there even though the journey was difficult. Paul faced many challenges while on the Lord’s errand, but he was also able to testify all the way to Rome. Notice the opportunities that came to Paul that he would not have had if the journey had been easier.
Paul’s journey to Rome
[click for scalable version]
Understanding the Scriptures

Acts 27
Contrary ( v.4 )—Blowing in the wrong direction
The fast ( v.9 )—The day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
Admonished ( v.9 )—Warned
Commodious ( v.12 )—Comfortable, suitable
Undergirding the ship ( v.17 )—Tying ropes under the ship
Long abstinence ( v.21 )—Long time without food
Sounded ( v.28 )—Dropped a rope to measure the depth of water
Twenty fathoms ( v.28 )—100–120 feet (36.5 meters); one fathom is six feet (1.8 meters)
Under colour ( v.30 )—Pretending
Threescore ( v.37 )—Sixty; one score is twenty
Acts 28
Melita ( v.1 )—Malta
Barbarous people, barbarians ( vv.2, 4 )—Those people were called barbarous because they spoke neither Greek nor Latin, not because they were uncivilized.
Viper ( v.3 )—Poisonous snake
Vengeance ( v.4 )—God’s justice
Laded ( v.10 )—Supplied
Suffered ( v.16 )—Allowed, permitted
Constrained ( v.19 )—Forced by circumstances, of necessity
This sect ( v.22 )—Christianity, the Church of Jesus Christ
Acts 28:30 —The Final Years of Paul’s Life

We learn from other sources that Paul was tried and released after two years in Rome. He visited several more places in his missionary efforts, perhaps traveling as far as Spain. After about four years he was arrested again and taken to Rome. He was martyred there, probably in the spring of A.D. 65. (See Bible Dictionary, “Paul,” pp.742–43 .)

God Bless you,
Verna.
Amen.... Verna !!
You are so right on, especially with Charles Stanley !!
Man is it so scary when I read false teaching and these false teacher's attaching the Holy Spirit on it by saying that He led them or told them..... especially right here in this forum.... WOW !!

I cringe in my spirit..... ALL I can do is pray and bow my heart to the Father asking Him for forgiveness with such blasphemy !!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,872,709 times
most people, not all, want what these "pastors" want, and it is not God they want but a great life now. that is why the bookstores are filled with books like
"how to pray with power"
"make everyday your friday"
etc.... this post alone makes my blood boil. seeing how them creatures mock and defame the name of God.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM

8,761 posts, read 7,689,871 times
You can tell most of these TV preachers are full of BS if you listen. They will stay away from topics like, sin, immorality, lust, greed, selfishness, lying etc. They will not generally talk about hell, falling away, or telling people their works will not save them. Some of them hardly mention Jesus and the cross or resurrection ever. I've watched Joel Olsteen a few times. He holds up his floppy Bible, and has everyone repeat that little mantra of his, cite on verse in the Bible and go off and teach something totally unbiblical, like godly weight control. What always stuns me is the large crowds and big money they take in.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM

949 posts, read 878,733 times
Every one of those folks have major issues with their theology.

Osteen thinks mormons are Christians. I'm not sure he even knows the Gospel. He will openly tell you he didn't go to Seminary, and he barely cracks a Bible when he preaches.

Jakes is a modalist.

Dollar? well...his last name is either a great stage name or he was just born to do the "ministry" he's in.

Meyers is probably the closest to being correct...but she is a hash of Word of Faith and other teachings. She has some interesting views of the atonement, teaching that Jesus finished the atonement while in hell being tortured by Satan. That's just not correct.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM

62,947 posts, read 34,295,019 times
David Jeromiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity