U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who is Your Favorite Pastor?
Creflo Dollar 3 2.86%
Joel Osteen 14 13.33%
TD Jakes 10 9.52%
Joyce Meyer 19 18.10%
Neither 59 56.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
 
2,766 posts, read 6,511,169 times
Reputation: 1448

Advertisements

I really don't care for televangelists to begin with, but I have a great amount of respect for Joel Osteen and think he's a very genuine man who simply wants to help bring people closer to God. I also think Creflo Dollar does a good job overall and I don't mind watching him.

I'll pass on Joyce Meyers, not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
 
178 posts, read 348,991 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I really don't care for televangelists to begin with, but I have a great amount of respect for Joel Osteen and think he's a very genuine man who simply wants to help bring people closer to God. I also think Creflo Dollar does a good job overall and I don't mind watching him.

I'll pass on Joyce Meyers, not my cup of tea.
Read what the word of God says about "preachers" who profit from His word and then decide whether or not you have "respect" for Joel Osteen or if you still think Creflo Dollar "does a good job overall".

It is Evil for a Priest to teach for Money

One who preaches God's Word for money is not a true man of God.
Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

A man of God is not to seek his own gain.
Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 6,081,613 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
Read what the word of God says about "preachers" who profit from His word and then decide whether or not you have "respect" for Joel Osteen or if you still think Creflo Dollar "does a good job overall".

It is Evil for a Priest to teach for Money

One who preaches God's Word for money is not a true man of God.
Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

A man of God is not to seek his own gain.
Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."

I'm no fan of televangalists.

However, I used to visit an old retired Jesuit for spiritual direction.

He never asked for a penny, but he would smile when I'd give him twenty bucks.

And I'm sure it was because he believed I was doing something good for
MY soul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 09:13 AM
 
178 posts, read 348,991 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm no fan of televangalists.

However, I used to visit an old retired Jesuit for spiritual direction.

He never asked for a penny, but he would smile when I'd give him twenty bucks.

And I'm sure it was because he believed I was doing something good for
MY soul
This is the true way it should be done. First minister to someone, and if that someone feels the call of God to give something back in exchange, then so be it. It doesn't necessarily have to be money either, in fact money is never mentioned in the bible as a tithe or something that is required to give to preachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Location: India
11 posts, read 13,786 times
Reputation: 10
world is behind those things of Favoritism all these men and woman r valued by their hard work by God their is no wise to ask who is ur favorite ? cuz we r God's chosen one and God bless us with our relationship with Him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 AM
 
Location: India
11 posts, read 13,786 times
Reputation: 10
no answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 AM
 
342 posts, read 468,589 times
Reputation: 101
Refer to post #67.......Let no man or woman deceive you......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Toledo, Ohio
18 posts, read 56,073 times
Reputation: 12
If it opens your heart, and gives positive benefits in your life and to others, than to me it's a good and personal choice. I have never believed there was just ONE way to live, believe, etc.. You have your own free will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
 
2,946 posts, read 4,878,085 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
Read what the word of God says about "preachers" who profit from His word and then decide whether or not you have "respect" for Joel Osteen or if you still think Creflo Dollar "does a good job overall".

It is Evil for a Priest to teach for Money

One who preaches God's Word for money is not a true man of God.
Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

A man of God is not to seek his own gain.
Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."
It`s really a waste of time to expose these charlatans on a christian site. The reason being is that most of the people who give money to them,know they live a luxurious lifestyle. They know these people take their money and live in the lap of luxury. So if people want to give their hard earned money to these charlatans so they can live like kings and queens, I say more power to you. It`s your money. It`s just too bad you don`t give that money to the poor and needy, the people who really need it. But if you would rather help these charlatnas live in luxury,then by all means...it`s your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: New England
32,225 posts, read 21,111,453 times
Reputation: 2274
Well i love Joel Osteen and i don't buys his books, cd's,dvd's or send money to him.

I have also been blessed in the past by Hinn, Hagin,Copeland,Wommack and Duplantis, but as you have probably gathered by now i'm an heretic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top