U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Arizona
777 posts, read 1,277,017 times
Reputation: 173

Advertisements

In 1Corinthians 8, Paul addresses a similar issue.
we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world”.(8:4)
In other words, these things have no real power.
"Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field are they, And they cannot speak;
They must be carried, Because they cannot walk!
Do not fear them, For they can do no harm, Nor can they do any good."

Jeremiah 10:5
"However not all men have this knowledge. "(1Cor 8:7)
Not everyone can accept this. It can offend some and even cause others to stumble when a believer has apparent regard for an idol.

"But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak." (see 8:9-12)
"Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies." (8:1)

Perhaps before your mother visits (or anyone who might stumble because of it), you could remove the Buddha from the scene.
However, don’t lie to her about getting rid of it.
OR
You could honor your mother and actually get rid of it.
This would probably be my suggestion, if she visits often and has full run of the house - or still has issue with the Buddha being somewhere in the house.

Therefore, if _____ causes my brother to stumble, I will never _______ again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.
(8:13)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,260,824 times
Reputation: 17788
I find if I'm in conflict about something don't do it!! There usually are reasons for our conflicts....and a Christians should always yield to the ways of the Lord. Even to something so harmless as a statue, picture, or whatever!
My question to you..... are you still living at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Central Iowa - Ankeny
337 posts, read 1,386,150 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
I find if I'm in conflict about something don't do it!! There usually are reasons for our conflicts....and a Christians should always yield to the ways of the Lord. Even to something so harmless as a statue, picture, or whatever!
My question to you..... are you still living at home?
no my own apartment why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,198,621 times
Reputation: 464
Default Just my opinion.

Knowing that buddha is worshipped by many people as their god....no, I would not have one. The people who made the buddha are making money. Or in this case the people who sold it are making money on an item that is highly unliked by God. I would feeling I am honoring something that God would be highly against. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,581,800 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
I have a silly question.

I am a Christian. (always have been, always plan to be) Yet, I think Buddha statues are neat.. I know, kind of odd. Anyway, me & my mom were at pier 1 today and I found a little Buddha on clearance and decided it would look good in my apartment and bought it. My mom tried to talk me out of it because she personally feels convicted with that type of thing.

The way I see it is I look at it as art, I have absolutely no spiritual feelings towards Buddhism or the figurine. I mean it's not like I want to light candles and pray to it.

So, just out of curiosity - do you guys feel it dishonors God or is a sin to have this statue in my home? No spiritual strings attached what so ever?

I like to get straight to the point, you know? Seeing that you're mind's already made up, you bought it right? I don't "get" what it is you need an opinion about! I'm pretty sure you're mom, while trying to talk you out of it, offered tons of opinions, on why you should'nt buy it, before you did.

So if you going to display it, do so! If not, take it back to the store and get a refund, That simple. The real question should be: Do YOU feel it dishonors God or is it a sin to have this statue in YOUR home?

The advice of a mother is one like no other! Bless.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 01-12-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Central Iowa - Ankeny
337 posts, read 1,386,150 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I like to get straight to the point, you know? Seeing that you're mind's already made up, you bought it right? I don't "get" what it is you need an opinion about! I'm pretty sure you're mom, while trying to talk you out of it, offered tons of opinions, on why you should'nt buy it, before you did.

So if you going to display it, do so! If nor, take it back to the store and get a refund, That simple. The real question should be: Do YOU feel it dishonors God or is it a sin to have this statue in YOUR home?

The advice of a mother is one like no other! Bless.
You re-worded my question. I guess everyone else "got" it the way I asked it, but whatever it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
 
5,006 posts, read 13,854,043 times
Reputation: 2422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
I have a silly question.

I am a Christian. (always have been, always plan to be) Yet, I think Buddha statues are neat.. I know, kind of odd. Anyway, me & my mom were at pier 1 today and I found a little Buddha on clearance and decided it would look good in my apartment and bought it. My mom tried to talk me out of it because she personally feels convicted with that type of thing.

The way I see it is I look at it as art, I have absolutely no spiritual feelings towards Buddhism or the figurine. I mean it's not like I want to light candles and pray to it.

So, just out of curiosity - do you guys feel it dishonors God or is a sin to have this statue in my home? No spiritual strings attached what so ever?
I see no reason why it would be wrong. If you read Buddhism you would find that Christ taught the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
 
11 posts, read 61,193 times
Reputation: 25
Be cautious - the statue of Buddha is not representative of the real man, Buddha. Buddha was not fat, he was thin from many fastings.

So what is this statue? What does it represent to millions in the world? Surely not the Messiah, the Christ Jesus.

How does having a statue of Buddha show the teachings and truth of Jesus Christ?

If I were to step into your home I would immediately say to myself, "Oh she is a Buddhist and studying the teachings of Buddha." There would be no thought in my mind that you are a Christian.

Therefore I am inclined to wonder what does the word Christian mean to you personally?

June 7th there is a vast difference in a non-believer having artifacts, art or symbolic representations of various religions or philosophies versus a person who says 'I am a Christian' having symbols that do not exalt the truth of scriptures. You will find a house with all artifacts of religious symbols in this country - they are called museums. Christians visit them to look upon the artistic rendition but do not put them in their homes unless they do not understand or are rebelious.

The non-believer has no loyalty to Christ who died a horrific death for the sins of all mankind therefore a cross does not convict them and they look at it as something arty.

For the true believer and follower of Christ who honors and worships the Father it is another story.

Dear Norther Traveler,
You say "I think Buddha statues are neat" and you may not be aware that you are being pulled in by a lust of the eyes, an emotional response to an object which if entertained can lead to a further curiousity of him and study of something dishonoring the truth.
Before you get involved in Buddha statues and other neat stuff you may want to start studying and learning the word of God in the Bible so you are prepared.
The Buddha statue represents a false religious system although it was intended to be a philosophy.

blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't want one. Another good question for you might be, does it bring honor and glory to Jesus?
You know, I've heard this asked about many things - does it bring honor and glory to Jesus? I've heard this used to justify things such as not dancing.

OK, does eating chocolate cake glorify Jesus? Riding a bike just for fun? Having your hair colored? Playing solitaire? Playing Scrabble? Enjoying a steak dinner? Spending a little extra time in a hot shower because it feels good? Sleeping in on Saturday?

OK, you get the picture. I think there are plenty of things we do in life that are harmless, if not theraputic for us, that have nothing to do with Jesus, a god or religion.

A statue of Buddha can easily be seen as artwork and is harmless. I haven't studied Buddhims in some time, but from what I recall, no one actually worships Buddha or the statues. You can also learn a lot from Buddhim while practicing Christianity at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Knowing that buddha is worshipped by many people as their god....no, I would not have one. The people who made the buddha are making money. Or in this case the people who sold it are making money on an item that is highly unliked by God. I would feeling I am honoring something that God would be highly against. Just my opinion.
How can you be so sure that you're right, and Buddhists are all hell-bound and wrong? How do you know that practicing Buddhism isn't another valid path in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top