U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM

337 posts, read 1,387,568 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the responses and blessings, I've decided I'll just throw it away. (it was $3) It seems obvious to me now that I was feeling convicted and have made the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:09 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,323,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I see no reason why it would be wrong. If you read Buddhism you would find that Christ taught the same things.
Exactly. People seem so quick to wag fingers at something that's different and outside their realm of understanding and comfort, rather than see the similarities.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

337 posts, read 1,387,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Exactly. People seem so quick to wag fingers at something that's different and outside their realm of understanding and comfort, rather than see the similarities.
I agree people do this. But know this is not the case with me, I took a religion class - have always been interested in other religions and know the similarities between religions. My question was not out of ignorance.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 61,576 times
Denverian wrote:
"OK, does eating chocolate cake glorify Jesus? Riding a bike just for fun? Having your hair colored? Playing solitaire? Playing Scrabble? Enjoying a steak dinner? Spending a little extra time in a hot shower because it feels good? Sleeping in on Saturday?"

These things you listed have nothing to do with false religious systems or philosophies. These are individual behaviors not a system of belief.

Could any of these behaviors lead one away from Christ? I do not know for each person is individually loved by God each can be individually directed by the Holy Spirit.

Much is categorized to the individual's conscience and personal awareness/conviction. For the glutton eating chocolate cake may be harmful. For the person who rides a bike just for fun in order to avoid their chores, etc. Even hair color for one person it may be a vain attempt at youth and the desire to seduce whereas for another person it is a matter of wanting to look their best to represent Christ (we are ambassadors of Christ).

This is why we are taught not to judge but each accoridng to the dictates of his own conscience.

Example I was a houseguest, to a very low income person, and knew it would be inconsiderate to behave as if they had no financial problems but also was urged by them to really make myself comfortable. Did I take a hot bath? Yes, but I then sent a monetary thank you gift (along with a trinket) for their hospitality with a lovely card. They were happy; according to them to "get somethings they wanted". I behaved according to my conscience; I was not taking advantage of someone's hospitality and was able to bless them while allowing them to maintain their dignity.

The problem in history has been people getting a personal directive such as "don't color your hair" and then thinking it is for everyone. True ex: A woman was told not to color her hair (when in prayer, she said she told God about all the other ladies doing it) and she finally realized why, confronted her husband who was 20 years older - he was uncomfortable that she would look like his granddaughter. Later when he matured spiritually he laughed and told her to color her hair. This was a couple that were rare but interesting to know.

In response to :
"but from what I recall, no one actually worships Buddha or the statues."
The last Buddhist home I visited had a shrine and when we walked past it the Buddhist bowed before it, then explained to me it is necessary in honoring Buddha & the shrine is where they do their morning meditations. They patiently waited to see if I would bow, I did not follow suit. They were told that according to my faith it is not allowed for me to bow to anyone but the Creator of the Universe. They were satisfied and not offended.
I stepped into the back of an oriental restaurant and found a statue of Buddha with food offerings from the daily menu and candles.
An American friend who converted from Buddhism to Christianity removed all Buddha statues and accessories from his home.
A Japanese convert just laughed outright when I told him that many are saying you can be a Christian and a Buddhist.
We can glean things from philosophies but we must always seek to know the true living God personally.

I did not read here where anyone was so insensitive or condemning to say "Buddhists are all hell-bound and wrong". No one can say that since we are not with others throughout their lives and do not know what transpires at the moment of death.

Buddha did not die for the sins of mankind, Jesus of Nazereth did, He is the Messiah.

There are many paths in life but there is only one valid path, it is a narrow path.

"Enter ye in at the strait (narrow) gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow (difficult) is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
Jesus of Nazereth (Matt. 7:13-14)

blessings, peace

Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM

40,196 posts, read 26,820,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mDees View Post
In response to :
"but from what I recall, no one actually worships Buddha or the statues."
The last Buddhist home I visited had a shrine and when we walked past it the Buddhist bowed before it, then explained to me it is necessary in honoring Buddha & the shrine is where they do their morning meditations. They patiently waited to see if I would bow, I did not follow suit. They were told that according to my faith it is not allowed for me to bow to anyone but the Creator of the Universe. They were satisfied and not offended.
I stepped into the back of an oriental restaurant and found a statue of Buddha with food offerings from the daily menu and candles.
An American friend who converted from Buddhism to Christianity removed all Buddha statues and accessories from his home.
A Japanese convert just laughed outright when I told him that many are saying you can be a Christian and a Buddhist.
We can glean things from philosophies but we must always seek to know the true living God personally.
Having traversed from Catholicism to atheism to Buddhism to Christ . . . I would have to take exception to these descriptions and explanations. Buddhism is fundamentally an atheist belief system. Guatama did not trust God or the existence of ANY permanent being. Those Buddhists "worshiping" Buddha are in error . . . but trying to follow his path is a different matter. If successful meditation is truly achieved . . . it can lead to Jesus and God (as in my case).

Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
Thank you all for the responses and blessings, I've decided I'll just throw it away. (it was $3) It seems obvious to me now that I was feeling convicted and have made the right choice.
Quote:
it would look good in my apartment and bought it.
Duh.....^^^^ Sorry, I guess I forgot that part......

Anyway...............Northern Traveler,
Blessings to you for making the right choice!!
God will bless you for obeying the conviction of your heart.
Also obeying our parents is a commandment with a promise....

Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,323,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Having traversed from Catholicism to atheism to Buddhism to Christ . . . I would have to take exception to these descriptions and explanations. Buddhism is fundamentally an atheist belief system. Guatama did not trust God or the existence of ANY permanent being. Those Buddhists "worshiping" Buddha are in error . . . but trying to follow his path is a different matter. If successful meditation is truly achieved . . . it can lead to Jesus and God (as in my case).
That's what I got from my studies of Buddhism. It's more of a "roadmap" to a happier life with fairly explicit instruction and exercises. You can practice Buddhism and still be a Cristian, worshiping God/Christ.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM

777 posts, read 1,278,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's what I got from my studies of Buddhism. It's more of a "roadmap" to a happier life with fairly explicit instruction and exercises. You can practice Buddhism and still be a Cristian, worshiping God/Christ.
While an idol (or what might appear to be an idol) has no power, actually following ways which are totally devoid of Christ is another issue.

Adam unleashed the knowledge of good and evil upon the world and God spent four thousand years (through Israel) teaching us the difference.
Even today we’ve not learned to discern good from evil.

A very wise man once asked for that ability:
"So give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"
It was pleasing in the sight of the Lord that Solomon had asked this thing.

1Kings 3:9,10

But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.
Hebrews 5:14

Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?
Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God;
just as God said, "I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
"Therefore, COME OUT FROM THEIR MIDST AND BE SEPARATE," says the Lord. "AND DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN; And I will welcome you.
"And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me," Says the Lord Almighty.

2Cor 6:15-18 Caps due to OT quotes in the NASB

Last edited by Richio; 01-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Change in brown

Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM

40,196 posts, read 26,820,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
While an idol (or what might appear to be an idol) has no power, actually following ways which are totally devoid of Christ is another issue.

Adam unleashed the knowledge of good and evil upon the world and God spent four thousand years teaching us the difference.
Even today we’ve not learned to discern good from evil.
We are well aware of the evil primitive practices of the ancients that were such a distraction and destructive influence on the early church. That was 2000+ years ago, Richio. Trying to equate abominations like the worship of Baal to practicing Buddhist meditation is absurd!!! In fact . . . once a true meditative state is achieved the truth of God and Jesus becomes impossible to ignore. Such childish fears of idol worship (which no true Buddhist would do) only undercut your persuasiveness for Christ, IMO. You MUST have the state of MIND and INTENT to worship an idol for it to be such . . . not merely possess an "objet d'art." Just how petty do you think God is?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 PM

777 posts, read 1,278,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are well aware of the evil primitive practices of the ancients that were such a distraction and destructive influence on the early church. That was 2000+ years ago, Richio. Trying to equate abominations like the worship of Baal to practicing Buddhist meditation is absurd!!! In fact . . . once a true meditative state is achieved the truth of God and Jesus becomes impossible to ignore. Such childish fears of idol worship (which no true Buddhist would do) only undercut your persuasiveness for Christ, IMO. You MUST have the state of MIND and INTENT to worship an idol for it to be such . . . not merely possess an "objet d'art." Just how petty do you think God is?
You evidently missed my post #11 concerning the Buddha statue.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend following Buddhism to discover Christ.
I know it worked for you, but if it worked for everyone, there'd be many more Christians than there are now.

The Spirit began drawing me even through some secular music in the 80's, but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to God.
It was God who was drawing me.

It may sound trite, but do you think Jesus would have been pleased with His disciples practicing Buddhism as a source of enlightenment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity