U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,701,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mDees View Post

June 7th there is a vast difference in a non-believer having artifacts, art or symbolic representations of various religions or philosophies versus a person who says 'I am a Christian' having symbols that do not exalt the truth of scriptures. You will find a house with all artifacts of religious symbols in this country - they are called museums. Christians visit them to look upon the artistic rendition but do not put them in their homes unless they do not understand or are rebelious.

The non-believer has no loyalty to Christ who died a horrific death for the sins of all mankind therefore a cross does not convict them and they look at it as something arty.

I see.

So while this may perhaps be a topic for a completely different thread, (which June doubts she would ever start) I'm just curious:

If, at some point down the line, I decided to become a Christian, would that mean that I would necessarily have to discard all those other "artsy" paintings or statues which depict other religious traditions?

-Because somehow it's striking me as a bit odd that a $3 statue of a Buddha in a believer's home (serving the purpose of being purely decorative) could be more offensive than a Christian cross in an atheist's home! To be honest, I'm not sure that it is "right" of me to agree to let someone go to the expense to create it in the first place and then send it to me...

I dunno.

Guess I'll decide when it arrives...

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,043,501 times
Buddha isn't a god, Buddha is a role model. Therefore he is not an "idol" nor a "graven image".

Would you feel conflicted about having a statue of another historical figure in your house, say...a replica of Michaelangelo's David?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM

40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
You evidently missed my post #11 concerning the Buddha statue.
Yes . . . I did . . . my bad.
Quote:
Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend following Buddhism to discover Christ.
The only relevant aspects of buddhism that are useful are approaches to meditation . . . which can be gleaned from other sources. It is necessary for each individual to find the method that works for them . . which can be devout prayer. The important result to achieve is the direct contact with God . . . which can never be any other spirit as long as Jesus is in your heart and mind as you meditate or pray. The experience is so confirming I recommend everyone at least try to achieve it . . . but it isn't easy to do.
Quote:
I know it worked for you, but if it worked for everyone, there'd be many more Christians than there are now.
There is nothing easy about the path Jesus has set for us . . . it is not something that is naturally popular . . . although the "belief only" aspect seems to have wide appeal.
Quote:
The Spirit began drawing me even through some secular music in the 80's, but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to God.
It was God who was drawing me.

It may sound trite, but do you think Jesus would have been pleased with His disciples practicing Buddhism as a source of enlightenment?
I wouldn't speculate about Buddhism specifically . . . but I suspect the modern press of thoughts experienced by people today that interferes with experiencing the meditative state is apt to have been much less of a problem in Jesus's day. What they call prayer could have easily been as devout as that achieved by some today (equivalent to meditation) . . . with a lot less effort to quiet the mind . . . making the confirming experiences more accessible. It's certainly possible.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM

852 posts, read 1,198,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
How can you be so sure that you're right, and Buddhists are all hell-bound and wrong? How do you know that practicing Buddhism isn't another valid path in life?

I would never "sentence" someone to hell. I know God first hand...I can feel Him, hear Him, sense Him...nothing could be more real...the bible says not to worship idols...so I don't...and don't condone those who are trying to make "pretty things" (such as idols) for the purpose of monetary gain. The question asked for our thoughts and I answered. Did you answer the question? or did you just come here to give someone a hard time?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM

777 posts, read 1,277,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes . . . I did . . . my bad. The only relevant aspects of buddhism that are useful are approaches to meditation . . . which can be gleaned from other sources. It is necessary for each individual to find the method that works for them . . which can be devout prayer. The important result to achieve is the direct contact with God . . . which can never be any other spirit as long as Jesus is in your heart and mind as you meditate or pray. The experience is so confirming I recommend everyone at least try to achieve it . . . but it isn't easy to do.There is nothing easy about the path Jesus has set for us . . . it is not something that is naturally popular . . . although the "belief only" aspect seems to have wide appeal.I wouldn't speculate about Buddhism specifically . . . but I suspect the modern press of thoughts experienced by people today that interferes with experiencing the meditative state is apt to have been much less of a problem in Jesus's day. What they call prayer could have easily been as devout as that achieved by some today (equivalent to meditation) . . . with a lot less effort to quiet the mind . . . making the confirming experiences more accessible. It's certainly possible.
No problem about missing my other post.

In the beginning months I spent some time waiting on the Lord because I found it mentioned in Scripture...
(What did I know? All I had was Scripture and the Spirit to teach me.)
...Not focusing on an object or chanting or even expecting anything from Him.
I found it useful for quieting my mind and turning my thoughts to His heart.

Soon He led me into praise - not just repeating “praise God”, but actually attempting to compare His attributes to what I could comprehend - similarly as in some of the psalms. After doing this for several weeks, I began to feel His presence more and more.

However in terms of Buddhism, there’s no benefit to the soul to suffer for the sake of suffering or even cleansing oneself.
And emptiness leads to nothing. It isn’t beneficial unless one diminishes the Self in order to replace human motivations with godly intentions.

As for my spiritual birth, I didn’t initially empty myself and then experience His presence; I merely confessed my sinfulness and need of Him and then chose to place His will over my own.
I knew this was the process. I didn’t even feel particularly convicted of sin, but when I realized that Jesus might just be real, it seemed only reasonable to align myself with Him.

First He gave me the inner knowledge that He was real and I went from a seeking agnostic - to knowing that Jesus was real - pretty much instantly.
When the implications of that and my new life began to dawn on me, He gave me what some would call an experience – causing me to grin for about a week.

BTW: I don’t base my “belief” on that experience, but on the unexpected instant awareness.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I would never "sentence" someone to hell. I know God first hand...I can feel Him, hear Him, sense Him...nothing could be more real...the bible says not to worship idols...so I don't...and don't condone those who are trying to make "pretty things" (such as idols) for the purpose of monetary gain. The question asked for our thoughts and I answered. Did you answer the question? or did you just come here to give someone a hard time?
I believe I answered the question. I don't believe that Buddhists worship idols, and I believe a Christian can posess a Buddha statue as a piece of art without compromising their Christian beliefs. I also believe there are some misconceptions going on here about Buddhism and what it teaches. Others have addressed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity