U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM

337 posts, read 1,386,386 times

Advertisements

I have a silly question.

I am a Christian. (always have been, always plan to be) Yet, I think Buddha statues are neat.. I know, kind of odd. Anyway, me & my mom were at pier 1 today and I found a little Buddha on clearance and decided it would look good in my apartment and bought it. My mom tried to talk me out of it because she personally feels convicted with that type of thing.

The way I see it is I look at it as art, I have absolutely no spiritual feelings towards Buddhism or the figurine. I mean it's not like I want to light candles and pray to it.

So, just out of curiosity - do you guys feel it dishonors God or is a sin to have this statue in my home? No spiritual strings attached what so ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM

140 posts, read 409,692 times
Though I understand what you're saying, I do think this would dishonor God- though I am not Him so I couldn't say for sure. I guess I see it this way-- the original creation, though perhaps artistic, was not intended or created as art, it was as a god, therefore it is an idol. Another aspect to consider is what it portrays to others who may see it in your home. Or to pose a question my mother would to me-- what if Jesus came to your house today and saw it? Would you feel OK about it then? Only you can answer that, but that's one way I find helpful when making a decision I'm conflicted about.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,265,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Another aspect to consider is what it portrays to others who may see it in your home. Or to pose a question my mother would to me-- what if Jesus came to your house today and saw it? Would you feel OK about it then? Only you can answer that, but that's one way I find helpful when making a decision I'm conflicted about.
Very good points supermom. We bought a house some years back and the previous owner left a statue of buddha in the front yard...it was the first thing I got rid of!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 PM

21,637 posts, read 30,249,870 times
I don't want one. Another good question for you might be, does it bring honor and glory to Jesus?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,262,952 times
Well my thoughts if your here asking about it..... there is your answer if you'll look!!
Compromise starts in the simple, silly, little things we think that are not going to effect us!!!
Sorry but I would get rid of it, just for the reasons for what the statue represents.
And the Lord tells us to honor our parents and possibly the Lord is using your mom to protect you for reasons you do not know!!

Blessings

Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,719,133 times
Personally, I don't think it is wrong to have a statue of Buddha in your home..Depends why it is there If I have built an alter with candles, incense and perform religious rituals before the statue then I am wrong..(Not too sure about rubbing his belly for good luck, though)

If I have a statue of Buddha among my other collection of figurines, I feel there is nothing wrong with that..In other words, it depends on my reason for purchasing the statue and my intent for its use..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,906,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
do you guys feel it dishonors God or is a sin to have this statue in my home?
Of course not. In fact, when people place emphasis on it's "spirituality" I think they are dishonoring God. Almost like that statue is the equal of their Lord and Savior......it is a cheap casting.....nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,272,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Though I understand what you're saying, I do think this would dishonor God- though I am not Him so I couldn't say for sure. I guess I see it this way-- the original creation, though perhaps artistic, was not intended or created as art, it was as a god, therefore it is an idol. Another aspect to consider is what it portrays to others who may see it in your home. Or to pose a question my mother would to me-- what if Jesus came to your house today and saw it? Would you feel OK about it then? Only you can answer that, but that's one way I find helpful when making a decision I'm conflicted about.
Well Said, and I agree with you 100%.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 AM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
Default Huh?

June wonders:

If someone in Thailand, or Japan, or China, saw a beautifully crafted, hand made cross, (a work of "art") and decided to purchase it and put in their apartment or home, would you also encourage them to get rid of it? To throw it out?

Or, better yet:

(Real life here, folks...) Someone commissioned an artist to make June a cross. My friend designed it, and presented the sketch to the artist who recreated it. It is in the mail, en route to June, as I type this. Granted, it's a gift, and granted, June has statues of Buddhas and 'Sivas and various "artwork" from all the religious traditions in her house.

June is also not a Christian.

So: Should June accept and keep the cross? Should she send it to someone in Thailand? Should I send it to any of you? (If last option, dm me with your address, and it's yours.)

--IF that's the answer you think it should be...For June, for the OP...

Take gentle care.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 AM

39,319 posts, read 18,823,713 times
It is perhaps relevent to point out tht the Buddha is not a diety and never claimed to be a diety....his image is not divine and there is no claim of supernatural powers in his teachings.
Just as much of Christian belief developed long after Jesus' life and much of it has little to do with his teachings....much of Buddhist practice is based on tradition and not his teachings.

The image of Buddha is useful to focus on his example of selflessness and compassion, much as Christians may find the cross or a crucifix helpful in focusing their spiritual attention....but neither are intended to be "idols".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity