U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love God of the Old Testament?
Yes 21 77.78%
No 6 22.22%
Indifferent 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,333,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(Poll for Christians only)

You know the God that promised He would send the perfect sacrifice and the God who has committed and even instigated genocide. Do you love that God or do you think that God was mean but He changed in the NT?
This could be the dumbest poll ever. If you believe in God then you know He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and perfect. These facts exclude God from being bad in days of old and nice and sweet today. Everything He did, does, and will do was, is, and will be for a reason. We are just too miniscule to understand.

Last edited by juj; 01-14-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,581,285 times
Always quick to make a mockery out of God first opportunity they get, like I said before. This is not a humorous thread. For people who don't believe that Jesus came to save them, they sure spend a lot of time on a Christian forum. What are their intent? Their purpose, may I ask? Is it not to discourage others from seeking truth?

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1:7)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. (Proverbs 9:10)

The fear of the LORD is instruction for wisdom, And before honor comes humility. (Proverbs 15:33)

And to man He said, "Behold the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom; And to depart from evil is understanding." (Job 28:28)

Yes, some of us love God of the old testament, though He came for all. He's the same God today, yesterday and forever!! Bless.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
If a friend should leave a beer unfinished after a party, it is your duty to finish beer when no one is looking.
My wife tells me that when she was a teenager, she went to a family gathering where there was dancing and partying, etc. She didn't mingle, rather she just stayed at the table and drank whatever was left when people got up and danced...

...she swore she'd never drink again after that night.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,205,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Always quick to make a mockery out of God first opportunity they get, like I said before.
I hope you didn't mistake my intent.

See Fundy wrote:
Quote:
Man! you guys know a lot of beer. Curious, can you recite the 10 commandments?
Proper English leads me to believe that:

1. He is referencing the 10 commandments of beer because thats what he referenced in the prior sentence.
2. I didn't think he was referencing The 10 Commandments since he didn't capitalize "the". He used lowercase. Thus I had to assume he was referring to the 10 commandments of beer.

Reading Comprehension is FunDaMental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
This is not a humorous thread.
Don't sell yourself short. I find your posts to be quite humorous. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Own it girl.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,094,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
He might. But I see no scripture that points to that in the NT. Then again I'm not a scripture freak so if its out there just let me know.
2 Corinthians 11:23ff--

(Paul) Are they ministers of Christ?--I speak as a fool--I am more: in labors more abundantly, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three time I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness--besides other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches.

The same God who tested Job, tested Paul. The same God who tested them, tests us. Some are tested to a greater degree than others. BUT--"all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28). Consider the life of Joni Earekson Tada who was paralyzed from the neck down in a diving accident when she was a teenager. Often she prayed for healing, but now when she reflects back, she praises God for her condition. She has come to see that He has given her strength and growth she would never have known had this trial not come her way. In her weakness, God gave her strength which brought Him glory. Unlike popular teachings today, God is not glorified in our strength (health and wealth), but in our weakness. I must admit that it is too often difficult for me to pray "God do WHATEVER it takes to make my life bring you the greatest glory." It is a matter of trust. And I am often weak, but in my inner being, that is my desire.

I suggest that any who struggle with this issue, read Josephus to see the horrors God allowed His Church to endure during the first-century tribulation that attended the Jewish persecution of the saints and the Jewish Wars with Rome! "Jesus (God) is the same yesterday, today, and forever" (Heb. 13:8). And like Job, our mouths should be stopped when we consider Who He is and Who we are in light of that. Everything He does He does for His own glory. Praise Him that He has ordained that part of the fallout of His JUSTIFIED glory-seeking is blessings of grace and goodness upon us whether through trials or ease!

To God be the glory!

Preterist

Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,488,466 times
Quote:
(Poll for Christians only)

You know the God that promised He would send the perfect sacrifice and the God who has committed and even instigated genocide. Do you love that God or do you think that God was mean but He changed in the NT?
Yes, I love God as He was in the ot, and the nt. I don't think that God changed, I think that we just saw another side of Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or