Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times

Advertisements

So I have been wondering this a lot lately....what are your thoughts on Humor? Is it a gift from God, is it a TRAIT from God....if we are made in His image and people have been trying to make others laugh since way back when.....what is Humors role in Christianity? I hope this makes since.

It was one of the things that I loved in the book The Shack. I loved the scenes where God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit where all having fun with each other, light hearted good old fashioned fun. The essence of our being is to be in relationship with God, doesn't that include those moments?

Obviously there are many types of humor. People find different types, well humorous while others find it offensive. Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
It depends on how "thirsty" you are.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Please elaborate. I really want to know what you mean. No debates just wanted to see other's views.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Do you thirst for laughter of the soul?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
I definitely believe the Lord has an excellent sense of humor; and as a healthy part of our day, it does good like medicine.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I am afraid I do not fully understand your question. All traits are gifts from God. As to a role in Christianity....I am not sure how you would make it a role. Are you saying that is should be a defined behavior such as witnessing, charity, tithing, fellowship? Each Christian must tell x number of jokes per day/week?

I think humor is a human characteristic and should be utilized when appropriate for the enjoyment of all concerned. I do not see any reason to distinguish it between secular and religious life. In my opinion, your secular life behavior should be acceptable in any religious setting.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Proverbs 15: 13 A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance,

Provers 17: 22 A merry heart does good, like medicine,

Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Arrow marian,

i have been reading most of your recent posts, and i sincerely commend you for your resilience and unwavering faith - may the Lord truly bless you and all whom you touch with that merry heart, and may it last beyond "death".

Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Hi Johnrex62...no I didn't mean it like it should be like a mandated behavior. I was just wondering what thoughts people have on it and if there were verses they have like Marianinark posted, that supported their thoughts. I was really just curious. Some humor can be hurtful, some can be malitious, and some can be enjoyable and joyful. In a bad moment I can catch myself with some hurtful sarcasam...but on the other end laughing with a precious story of a child. I agree there should be no difference from my actions and life in a religious situation or out in the world. I approach them all from the same view, yet I fail time and time again from a religious standpoint. Thankful for God's grace and love!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
i have been reading most of your recent posts, and i sincerely commend you for your resilience and unwavering faith - may the Lord truly bless you and all whom you touch with that merry heart, and may it last beyond "death".
Effie, this is so kind of you. At the weekly Golden Year's bible class, that I attend on tuesdays, I have been called The Giggle Girl, because I am constantly laughing. It just bubbles out, and is frequently an embarrassment to me. I feel that I may be offensive to some....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity