U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,036,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
And 99% of the discussion about U.S. torture has been about waterboarding.

So now waterboarding is torture in your mind?
I will give you water boarding if you insist, but like the rest it is merely making someone uncomfortable. I have been waterboarded and almost drowned from it. I didnt give up any information and would have prefered death before cooperation. Now my case is different from the detainees at gitmo, because yes I could have walked away where they cannot. There are plenty of things that can be considered torture like having to listen to lying politicians or sermons by liberal Christians or even watching a gay pride parade or gays showing affection in public. Women dressing like hookers or overweight men in speedos.

The US needs to get its priorities straight, the same people who want to end "torture" support abortion and gay rights. I do understand that this is not always the case. People want to call just about any interigation technique torture, but the methods the US has been using has kept us from being attacked again. If you do not believe that then close gitmo, stop interigations, and while we are at why dont we just dismantle our militery and let our enemies destroy us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM

594 posts, read 937,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Actually there were, but they went by a different name.

Starting in 1140 and running until 1870, they were often called "Heretics". They were normally hunted, tortured and killed, by the 'church'.
That's not generally considered the Dark Ages though is it? I thought they were more like 400-900.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
It has been proven that torture doesn't work, and all you get from those that are tortured are lies.
Wrong!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Sometimes I am totally shocked by what Christians say, like NOW. But I think it is because you don't understand about torture. Here is a documentary that you should see, Taxi To The Dark Side.
I understand about torture, I was taught to torture and was tortured as well so I could see the effects and learn to resist. The torture I was taught makes the tortures they are complaining about seem like playing checkers. The methods used by the US currently are no where near as harsh as our enemies choose to use.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I'm certainly not shocked. Disgusted, but not shocked.

Most of these people who pursuing such a hideous course and thought are in their own minds, following what they believe their god is doing and going to do anyway.

I did research years ago on why the Clergy (both Catholic & Protestant) of the Dark Ages found it necessary to burn people alive who they deemed enemies of the Church-State, rather than some type of a humane execution (if there is such a thing). Anyway the research showed that the HellFire & Damnation were so ingrained and indoctrinated into their psyche that they believed that simply killing such a marked heretic was'nt good enough. They proposed to administer what they believed God was going to do to the individual anyway. So enthusiastic were these wicked and evil Clergyman, that they could'nt find themselves waiting for God to do it, they had to take matters into their own hands.

So never be surprised by this type of sick reasoning, disgusted, but not surprised. In the end I do believe they are following the personality of their god, but what god that is remains for debate.
Thank you for completely ignoring the truth and spouting the same old revisionist history we have becme accustomed to.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:30 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,214,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I will give you water boarding if you insist, but like the rest it is merely making someone uncomfortable.
You are so generous to give it to me. I mean other than the fact that most everyone believes water boarding is torture. If it feels good to say you're giving it to me.. whatever. I'm here to please.

Quote:
I have been waterboarded and almost drowned from it. I didnt give up any information and would have prefered death before cooperation.
The dichotomy of your statements is fascinating.

Your stance earlier: Torture works

Then the only example you give is how torture didn't work on you. I'm 100% confused.

Quote:
There are plenty of things that can be considered torture like having to listen to lying politicians or sermons by liberal Christians or even watching a gay pride parade or gays showing affection in public. Women dressing like hookers or overweight men in speedos.
I'm quite certain that anything you listed isn't outlawed against in the Geneva conventions. I may be wrong. However, you are fullfilling just about every sterotype I have about Montana. Kudos to you.

I throw some in there.

Other forms of torture:

Pat Robertson talking is torture
Evangelical Right talking is torture
Pat Dobson talking is torture
Hagee "the Hack" talking is torture
Ann Coulter not falling into a volcano is torture
Bill O'Reilly using a luffa on someone is torture
Bill O'Reilly talking dirty to someone on the phone is torture
Sean Hannity waking up is torture
Sean Hannity thinking is torture
George W Bush circa 2000-2008 is torture
Ben Stein's existence

Quote:
The US needs to get its priorities straight, the same people who want to end "torture" support abortion and gay rights.
Let me restate for you:

"The US needs to get its priorities in line with Montana priorities... cause Montana is the bellwether of priorities in this country"

To that I say.. ~yawn~.

Quote:
I do understand that this is not always the case. People want to call just about any interigation technique torture, but the methods the US has been using has kept us from being attacked again.
No they don't. Waterboarding is the specific torture method in question. Nobody said anything when we blared music at Noriega for 24 hrs. Stop making things up. It gets annoying when you put your own subjective thoughts down as fact.

Quote:
If you do not believe that then close gitmo, stop interigations, and while we are at why dont we just dismantle our militery and let our enemies destroy us.
You make America sound like a child that had its toy taken away.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,926,666 times
Quote:
I do understand that this is not always the case. People want to call just about any interigation technique torture, but the methods the US has been using has kept us from being attacked again.
Frankly, I find reading posts by people who cannot be bothered to run spell checker is a form of torture.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM

bigthirsty, believe what you like. The fact is they used waterboarding three times and saved 10s of thousands of lives due to such "torture" methods.

As for a stereotype for Montana, I have only been here for about 1.5 years and I was born and raised in Virginia.

Goodpasture, i hope my misspellings havent tortured you too much, but Oh Well, thems the breaks.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,926,666 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Virginia.
Now THAT would be torture
Quote:
Goodpasture, i hope my misspellings havent tortured you too much, but Oh Well, thems the breaks.
Gonna have to report you to the Geneva Convention people.....expect a war crimes tribunal any minute.........

Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Now THAT would be torture
Gonna have to report you to the Geneva Convention people.....expect a war crimes tribunal any minute.........
bring it on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or