Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Um, there were no "Protestants" in the Dark Ages.
They burned people at the stake the same as Catholics. It stretched out all the way through to the American Colonies when they burned wittches or anybody who were deemed an enemy of whatever Church was locally in charge. Many Protestants hounded those who dared to translate the Bible into the common language of the people of that particular country. There is actually very little difference between Catholic belief and that of Protestants. You may benefit by googling "Protestant Inquisitions" and you'll find a wealth of historical info as to their beginnings and how they treated innocents. They all together actually combined to murder far more people than the "Catholic Inquisitions" ever did.

History is interesting, but sometimes sickening at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Thank you for completely ignoring the truth and spouting the same old revisionist history we have becme accustomed to.
There is no revisionist history going on here. I understand you don't like it, but religion in bed with politics will justify anything hideous, even torture. Please Google the history of some of these things. There are many good reputable independent references which have nothing to do with any Church, which would only minimize the details and gloss over or sugar coat some of the most damning of facts.

Again, no ones telling you or forcing you here to like it.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
You are so generous to give it to me. I mean other than the fact that most everyone believes water boarding is torture.
Try snowboarding in icy conditions without a helmet. Now that's torture. Kidding of course

However, my son had to be air lifted once to the hospital after a wipeout down at the bottom of a hill.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
There is no revisionist history going on here. I understand you don't like it, but religion in bed with politics will justify anything hideous, even torture. Please Google the history of some of these things. There are many good reputable independent references which have nothing to do with any Church, which would only minimize the details and gloss over or sugar coat some of the most damning of facts.

Again, no ones telling you or forcing you here to like it.
But what they are not telling you is that for them to do such things would be evidence against them being the true Church.

What our militery has to do to safeguard our people has nothing to do with Christianity. It is the choices of our government and not the Church.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM

594 posts, read 1,044,285 times
Quote:
They burned people at the stake the same as Catholics. It stretched out all the way through to the American Colonies when they burned wittches or anybody who were deemed an enemy of whatever Church was locally in charge. Many Protestants hounded those who dared to translate the Bible into the common language of the people of that particular country. There is actually very little difference between Catholic belief and that of Protestants. You may benefit by googling "Protestant Inquisitions" and you'll find a wealth of historical info as to their beginnings and how they treated innocents. They all together actually combined to murder far more people than the "Catholic Inquisitions" ever did.
You were referring to the Dark Ages. There was no such thing as a Protestant until several centuries later. Did Protestants kill/torture? Yes. But at least get your timing right.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
But what they are not telling you is that for them to do such things would be evidence against them being the true Church.

What our militery has to do to safeguard our people has nothing to do with Christianity. It is the choices of our government and not the Church.
It has everything to do with hardcore Right Wing Christianity whose hatred against Muslims no doubt is as intense as Muslim hatred towards the western world. As far as I know, was'nt it some type of Christian Moral Majority Fundamentalism that originally put George Bush in power and has supported him every step of the way ??? Yes I believe it was.

Would Jesus have supported any modern day government ??? Hardly!!! I believe he actually said, "My Kingdom is not from this world".

Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
It has everything to do with hardcore Right Wing Christianity whose hatred against Muslims no doubt is as intense as Muslim hatred towards the western world. As far as I know, was'nt it some type of Christian Moral Majority Fundamentalism that originally put George Bush in power and has supported him every step of the way ??? Yes I believe it was.

I do not hate the Muslims, I have several dear friends who are Muslims. Bush will be exonerated and be found to be a much better President that the liberal media has made him out to be.

Quote:
Would Jesus have supported any modern day government ??? Hardly!!! I believe he actually said, "My Kingdom is not from this world".
Of Course, he supported Davids armies, the Armies of Moses, Joshua, and Abraham. so I would think he would support any army that seeks freedom for all.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
You were referring to the Dark Ages. There was no such thing as a Protestant until several centuries later. Did Protestants kill/torture? Yes. But at least get your timing right.
"German Protestants put to death 100,000+ alledged witches; in England Henry the 8th murdered 72,000 Catholics and Queen Elizabeth I put to more people to death in one year than the Catholic church did in 330" by the "Confederate Yankee"

Again the definition has been revised over time. It has to do with the unscriptural behavior of those who should have known better. There existed very few with a Christ like personality. The "Rennaissance" & "Reformation" could hardly be catagorized as times of enlightenment. (as in Light as opposed to Dark)

Dark Ages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
[/b]

I do not hate the Muslims, I have several dear friends who are Muslims. Bush will be exonerated and be found to be a much better President that the liberal media has made him out to be.
Yeeeaah , sure he will !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69
[b]Of Course, he supported Davids armies, the Armies of Moses, Joshua, and Abraham. so I would think he would support any army that seeks freedom for all.
Absolutely incredible reasoning. Now we know why Europe , the birth place of every major Modern Day SECT of Christendom, is largely atheistic today.

Wonder what Jesus meant then by "Those who live by the sword, die by the sword ???" Maybe it depends on who has the biggest and most swords !!!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Maybe if you read the context of what Jesus said rather than just quote a verse you might find out. How about interpriting that verse with the one where Jesus said "If you do not own a sword, sell your cloak and buy one". I personally see it as self defense verses attacking someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity