U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,724,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The OP: "Where is torture in the Bible"

I am being on topic here; Is there a Bible passage that discusses torture, that anyone is aware of?

Any bible passage?

Anyone?

Are there any bible passages on this topic?
Reading the begats. That's torture in the bible
(oh... and reading the Levitical laws)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 AM

309 posts, read 446,350 times
Now I haven't read all 8 pages of this thread so if someone also already mentioned what I am going to say I am truly sorry. Lets see what the Bible says about hurting others the Lord says when someone slaps one cheek you are to turn your other cheek he never says beat them. The Lord said vengeance shall be mine he did not say we are to get revenge he will take care of that for us. Most importantly though is any Christian is to strive to be like Jesus even though we will never be perfect but if we try to strive to be like him we are required to love our enemies just like Jesus did. There is what the Bible says not me.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:16 AM

777 posts, read 1,277,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
And yet this is all set within a greater context.

A context which allows: killing, marital rape, child marriage, slaves and of course war.
I'm against torture and water boarding is torture.
With that being said, I'd like to comment on your remark.

You have a very distorted view of Christianity.

"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.
"Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.
"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:38-44

Jesus never endorsed the things you mentioned, but He gave us God's interpretation of the the Law.
These things existed because of man.
They aren't the intent of God.

So even locating an instance of it in the Bible doesn't mean it's an endorsement by the Almighty.

"But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD,
"I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Jeremiah 31:33

Last edited by Richio; 01-16-2009 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Corrected "view".

Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,904,991 times
Torture? Depends on if it's OT god or NT god. NT god would say to turn the other cheek. OT god would say "you're evil, you deserve to die a horrible death, have your women kidnapped and raped and all your children slain"....

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,633,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The only things I can think of are;

Do unto others..

Love your enemy...

An eye for and eye...

Do not repay evil for evil...

The problem is that most of these are refering to fellow believers and not non believers, so is there anything concerning the handling of non believers?
Yes, these admonitions are to believers, they are not to the country's government.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,053,872 times
I would tend to believe that there is, indeed, torture in the bible, just reading it is almost too much to bear.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM

161 posts, read 378,002 times
i think that even tho the bible may not state
'tho shall not torture'' or whatever,
we AS christians should know in our hearts that God wants us to treat eachother as wed like to be treated. i cant see
Jesus using torture,
but as livig in a a 'sinfilled' world, there are always going to be horrendous things happen untill he comes.
untill then, nothing will change.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM

716 posts, read 956,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Torture works and it is a neccessary evil.
Tell that to God.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM

31,388 posts, read 19,652,082 times
If our God approves of his children torturing other humans, He is not my God. If fact, torture as a good Christian act sounds like something from "the deceiver"!

By fighting evil with evil, evil wins!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 229,214 times
what about when pilot gave the Lord to the hands of the Jews?Then the Roman Army(a branch of the government)Tortured Him with whips ,fists and hanging Him on the cross.Dude before you post anymore you need to read your BIBLE OVER AND OVER AND OVER..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or