Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I agree, there is a difference. Humiliating someone by making them go around naked. Turning the temperature extremely hi or extremely low. Making them shave. Taking away prayer rugs and Qurans. Taking away proper refuse systems. Denying baths. These do not harm anyone, the closest one to harming someone is waterboarding. We are not obligated to provide any emenities above and beyond what they are used to in their homes and as we know many of them come from homes with no heat or ac, without proper facilities and these are the things that are being condemned. So they play Liza Minelli a little loud and leave the lights on 24/7, how is this torture? We take away the emenities and offer them back if they cooperate. We have no obligation to give them Qurans or prayer rugs. As for the shaving of the heads and the faces this can be summed up as sanitery procedures like they do to prisoners here in the states and those who go to bootcamp. As I said I will give you waterboarding as a torture method but the rest cause no harm.
And 99% of the discussion about U.S. torture has been about waterboarding.

So now waterboarding is torture in your mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:

Torture works and it is a neccessary evil.

It has been proven that torture doesn't work, and all you get from those that are tortured are lies.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
I agree, there is a difference. Humiliating someone by making them go around naked. Turning the temperature extremely hi or extremely low. Making them shave. Taking away prayer rugs and Qurans. Taking away proper refuse systems. Denying baths. These do not harm anyone, the closest one to harming someone is waterboarding. We are not obligated to provide any emenities above and beyond what they are used to in their homes and as we know many of them come from homes with no heat or ac, without proper facilities and these are the things that are being condemned. So they play Liza Minelli a little loud and leave the lights on 24/7, how is this torture? We take away the emenities and offer them back if they cooperate. We have no obligation to give them Qurans or prayer rugs. As for the shaving of the heads and the faces this can be summed up as sanitery procedures like they do to prisoners here in the states and those who go to bootcamp. As I said I will give you waterboarding as a torture method but the rest cause no harm.
Sometimes I am totally shocked by what Christians say, like NOW. But I think it is because you don't understand about torture. Here is a documentary that you should see, Taxi To The Dark Side.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-14-2009 at 04:29 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 AM

161 posts, read 418,205 times
there are many many places in the bible with torture ,
not to mention the horrible torture of the Lord Jesus.
it isnt as if the Lord is condoning it tho!
- but we are a sinful, willful people and the bible tells it like it is -
and doesnt make things sound rosy
just to keep our feelings from getting hurt....
we are mean nasty folks deep down.
sin will continue in this world untill He ends it.
there will always be torture and terrible things in this world.
things aint' getting better till he comes again.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Barak Obama is closing GITMO and many people are happy. I heard a minister on TV say that a Christian nation such as the United States should not engage in such actions because it is biblically wrong for our government to do so.

I don't like torture but I am yet to see anything in the bible condemning a government's use of torture?
One could take Col 2:23 totally out of context.
"severe treatment of the body, but are of no value"

But how about this verse?
______________"Love your enemies."

Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Sometimes I am totally shocked by what Christians say, like NOW.
I'm certainly not shocked. Disgusted, but not shocked.

Most of these people who pursuing such a hideous course and thought are in their own minds, following what they believe their god is doing and going to do anyway.

I did research years ago on why the Clergy (both Catholic & Protestant) of the Dark Ages found it necessary to burn people alive who they deemed enemies of the Church-State, rather than some type of a humane execution (if there is such a thing). Anyway the research showed that the HellFire & Damnation were so ingrained and indoctrinated into their psyche that they believed that simply killing such a marked heretic was'nt good enough. They proposed to administer what they believed God was going to do to the individual anyway. So enthusiastic were these wicked and evil Clergyman, that they could'nt find themselves waiting for God to do it, they had to take matters into their own hands.

So never be surprised by this type of sick reasoning, disgusted, but not surprised. In the end I do believe they are following the personality of their god, but what god that is remains for debate.

Last edited by bluepacific; 01-14-2009 at 05:18 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So predictable.

You: "Give me scripture that says torture is wrong"
Me: "Here you go"
You: "no no.. not that scripture.. I don't like that because it proves you are right"
Me: "no"
Not making fun of you, not to criticize you, but rather an honest question.

What Bible passage says that torture is wrong?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I did research years ago on why the Clergy (both Catholic & Protestant) of the Dark Ages found it necessary to burn people alive who they deemed enemies of the Church-State
Um, there were no "Protestants" in the Dark Ages.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Um, there were no "Protestants" in the Dark Ages.
Actually there were, but they went by a different name.

Starting in 1140 and running until 1870, they were often called "Heretics". They were normally hunted, tortured and killed, by the 'church'.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Not making fun of you, not to criticize you, but rather an honest question.

What Bible passage says that torture is wrong?
Look to the post by me preceding the one you quoted.

Oh.. and you can make fun of me. I'm quite worthy of fun being made of. No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity