Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,347,153 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Brennan Manning author of "The Ragamuffin Gospel"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Brennan Manning Biography

HERE

In February 1956, while Brennan was meditating on the Stations of the Cross, a powerful experience of the personal love of Jesus Christ sealed the call of God on his life.

Quote:
At that moment, the entire Christian life became for me an intimate, heartfelt relationship with Jesus.

During his retreat in the isolated cave, Brennan was once again powerfully convicted by the revelation of God's love in the crucified Christ. On a midwinter's night, he received this word from the Lord:

Quote:
For love of you I left my Father's side. I came to you who ran from me, who fled me,
Quote:
who did not want to hear my name. For love of you I was covered with spit, punched and beaten, and fixed to the wood of the cross.
Brennan would later reflect, "Those words are burned into my life. That night, I learned what a wise old Franciscan told me the day I joined the Order -- 'Once you come to know the love of Jesus Christ, nothing else in the world will seem as beautiful or desirable.' "

Last edited by Birdy_56; 05-04-2009 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
None of that is scriptural. He is putting words in God's mouth therefore playing god. He is actually contradicting himself, how he quotes a philosopher rather than the bible.
His quote "literally thousands of hours of prayer, meditation, silence and solitude over those years" NOTICE NO READING OF SCRIPTURE?

Typical "man centered" gospel. It's all about us.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-04-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
None of that is scriptural. He is putting words in God's mouth therefore playing god. He is actually contradicting himself, how he quotes a philosopher rather than the bible.
His quote "literally thousands of hours of prayer, meditation, silence and solitude over those years" NOTICE NO READING OF SCRIPTURE?

Please, Fundy, do you honest believe that in the thousands of hours of prayer and meditation a Bible was never opened or studied? You really don't have any understanding of either Christian meditation/mysticism or the Catholic faith. Spend some time with the Franciscans in meditation BEFORE you judge. Or would spending time in communion with these wholly Christian men be too much a threat to you particular concept of Christianity?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Please, Fundy, do you honest believe that in the thousands of hours of prayer and meditation a Bible was never opened or studied? You really don't have any understanding of either Christian meditation/mysticism or the Catholic faith. Spend some time with the Franciscans in meditation BEFORE you judge. Or would spending time in communion with these wholly Christian men be too much a threat to you particular concept of Christianity?

Fundy is a mite broken with a serious condition of wealth, blindness and ears that are deaf. Outside of that Fundy is a good little laddy.

Quote:
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art the wretched one and miserable and poor and blind and naked:

I counsel thee to buy of me gold refined by fire, that thou mayest become rich; and white garments, that thou mayest clothe thyself, and that the shame of thy nakedness be not made manifest; and eyesalve to anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I reprove and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

He that overcometh, I will give to him to sit down with me in my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father in his throne.

Last edited by Birdy_56; 05-04-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
All interesting. so what was the scripture he quoted, just give me one he quoted. He claims to speak for God. What was the scripture?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-04-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post

Fundy is a mite broken with a serious condition of wealth, blindness and ears that are deaf. Outside of that Fundy is a good little laddy.
and you guys want to have your ears tickled and leave sound doctrine. You are following a false religion that is not scripturally based. You are fooling yourself in a false sense of salvation under the guise that man wrote the bible yet you follow men yourselves telling what God said.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:19 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,386,974 times
Quote:

Actually Fundy is that not what your beleif is all about? We must do this, we must do that etc.

We say its all about who and what Jesus came and did, all the glory goes to the one who is the saviour of the world.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

Actually Fundy is that not what your beleif is all about? We must do this, we must do that etc.

We say its all about who and what Jesus came and did, all the glory goes to the one who is the saviour of the world.
It's because we are so cute, cuddly, lovable and just so adorable. Never once did He say, it was for His glory and never once did he use scripture because scripture doesn't support him, so he plays god but putting words in God's mouth ergo "man centered"

Belief means nothing.....Too many Christians get hung up on belief. Hindus, muslims, secularist is about belief. Christianity is truth, ONE TRUTH. This man claims to know what God will say to us on the day of judgment? Please tell me how will he know? because if it is about belief and not using scripture then I believe God will ask us what is our favorite car on the day of judgment and if he likes the car we pick then to heaven we will go.

Is my belief correct pneuma? and if it isn't then why are you telling what I must do or not do?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-05-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Our views of God re-act upon ourselves.

By an eternal law, we must more or less be changed into the likeness of the God we worship. If we think Him hard, we become hard.

If we think Him careless of men's bodies and souls, we shall be careless also.

If we think Him love, we shall reflect something of His loving-kindness.

God therefore gave us His image in His Only-Begotten Son, that "we with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, might be changed into the same image" (2 Cor. 3:18).

What that image was the Gospels tell. In word and deed they show that...

"God is love;"

"bearing all things, believing all things, hoping all things, enduring all things; never failing" (1 John 4:8, 16; 1 Cor. 13:7), when all around Him failed; to the end, as at the beginning, the life and hope of lost sinners.

Oh blessed gospel—"He who was rich yet became poor, that we by His poverty might be rich"

HERE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity