U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times

Advertisements

I attend a very nice Episcopal church weekly. Go to Bible study, volunteer, serve on the vestry, you name it.

However, over the past several years, it seems I cannot cross the threshold of the church without somebody buttonholing me to do Cursillo, the four-day weekend.

So, like any reasonable person, I ask them, "What does it entail?" I inevitably get the same response, "Oh, we can't tell you that. You just have to come."

But it doesn't stop there. To the Cursillo people, it's not simply a nice way to expand upon one's faith. Instead, the language is highly revealing. For people say, "Oh, you NEED to go." Or, "You HAVE to go." As if my faith is not complete without it. There seems to be an assumption that is a more complete Christian for going.

Then, of course, there is the Cursillo tendency to create a church within a church.

So, as far as I can tell Cursillo is secretive, elitist, and uses peer pressure to recruit people. It seems little better than the Moonies.

Anybody else have problems with the Cursillo group within your church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,223 times
I've never heard of Cursillo. I'm interested in hearing replies.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
What is Cursillo® ?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,448,447 times
I wonder if that company pays income taxes, looks like they're making money off of God. Yes, Amway does come to mind. I have also noticed some items can only be ordered over the phone yet there is only a long distance phone number. Talk about doing business on the cheap, they claim to be in business for fifty years, get a toll free number.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,205,076 times
Cursillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,098,123 times
I've never heard of them. I'll have to follow one of the links.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
If you don't want to go, you shouldn't go.

I once had Cursillo as a penance in confession. That was one of two bad confessions in my life...not the Cursillo part, but the haughtiness of the priests. I had trouble scheduling one, so I told another priest about the not yet completed Cursillo penance and that past confession in general. He said, "nah" (I forget the explanation he offered)* and changed my penance.

It sounds like a retreat. I've had great experiences at retreats, but they've also tended to be casual and even a good time.

*it's great when various religious orders within the Catholic church don't see it the same way

Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you don't want to go, you shouldn't go.

I once had Cursillo as a penance in confession. That was one of two bad confessions in my life...not the Cursillo part, but the haughtiness of the priests. I had trouble scheduling one, so I told another priest about the not yet completed Cursillo penance and that past confession in general. He said, "nah" (I forget the explanation he offered)* and changed my penance.

It sounds like a retreat. I've had great experiences at retreats, but they've also tended to be casual and even a good time.

*it's great when various religious orders within the Catholic church don't see it the same way
Yeah. It's the belief that you HAVE to do this that's bothering me.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,342 times
Default Cursillo

Hi. I have a very good friend that has attended Cursillo. From what I understand of it, it actually expands your knowledge of God, Christ and the Gospel. I can't imagine not having a great spiritual experience from attending. It is a weekend set aside entirely for God and drawing closer to Him. No worldly distractions. Learning more about yourself spiritually. I would like to attend too someday. For those afraid or for the person who commented on being pushed to do it....it is not a bad thing. I guess you could pray about it and see where God leads you. Trust in God.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,176,840 times
My personal view is, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or