Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times

Advertisements

While we can debate the climate in which Jesus was speaking in the passages mentioned, let us implore one another to be settled in the Lord, being anxious for nothing - and realize that the Spirit is the author of peace. When we find ourselves moved by these things, let us check ourselves and say, "Father, help me to see You high and lifted up, and not to be swayed by tremblings and fear, but rather to see You firmly in control of our days."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Given the Christian end times talk I have a question.

Is it selfish to procreate if you believe the end of the world is around the corner?

I'm talkin' baby makin'
Absolutely not selfish. We have no reason to be fearful of the times we are living in... God is able to keep us. Jesus prayed for us! "Not that you would take them out of the world, but that you would keep them from the evil."

We are to be a light in this dark world, and genuine Christian families can be a great asset and witness to society. We have no idea when the end of time will come, and to refuse to believe the promises of God and to "die out" as Christians would be completely contrary to God's plan for our lives. We are to watch and pray and "lift up our heads."

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM

23,014 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Absolutely not selfish. We have no reason to be fearful of the times we are living in... God is able to keep us. Jesus prayed for us! "Not that you would take them out of the world, but that you would keep them from the evil."

We are to be a light in this dark world, and genuine Christian families can be a great asset and witness to society. We have no idea when the end of time will come, and to refuse to believe the promises of God and to "die out" as Christians would be completely contrary to God's plan for our lives. We are to watch and pray and "lift up our heads."
I agree, it's not selfish. Have enough trust in the Lord that He is able to take care of us.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but myself, I have 4 year-old twins and a nine-yr-old son and if God does'nt come soon, I surely am concerned for their futures. I do my best to "train them up" in the right way. I pray God's protection around them daily. I read to and with them the bible, I speak to them about Christ Jesus. Though, they are at the age of innocence, they have accepted the Lord Jesus into their little hearts. They are here already though, and only God knows the plans He has for them. Would I produce more, right now? Absolutely not, given what I know today. Seeing the times as they are, no. As DayoftheLord posted in the above, the scriptures says it all.
What's so much worse today than 30 or 40 years ago? There has always been war, hunger, suffering, etc. throughout the human existence. There have been times in history where life was a heck of a lot more miserable for people than what we experience in the 21st Century USA.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Seeing how the "end times" have been forecast as being imminent for the past 2000 or so years, not at all.
Exactly.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
...I just want to remind that indeed we will see signs and we will know the end is near...
I disagree. I don't think we're seeing any more "signs" now than have been seen since Christ's death. And I don't think we'll have any idea when the end is near. What signs are you expecting?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
With such paranoia, i only have one suggestion: Invest in a lot of condoms and don't have children. World probably would be a better place if we can eliminated unnecessary scare tactics.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
To set the mood I just wanted to throw in one:

Bow Chica Wow Wow...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,623 times
Big Thirsty, you ain't right!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,680 times
"Be Fruitful and Multiply".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity