U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,030,116 times

Advertisements

I see no problem in having children. Yes it can be selfish to have children, I wouldnt want to live without mine, they bring me great joy.

As for the pregnant and the endtimes I believe they were warning those who do not believe that the child will be taken up in the rapture and they will be left behind.

Go ahead and continue with family life as normal but maintain a proper relationship with Christ with in your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
"Be Fruitful and Multiply".
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. (Ecc 3:1)

Much as the Statue of Liberty's call for the "tired, hungry and poor" has pretty much expired, I think we've done what He commanded pretty well. Maybe we should just put it on cruise control?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,630,965 times
How about practicing abstinence? I am speaking to all who are into the immediate coming of the 'whatever' (tribulation?), that you believe in.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 PM

315 posts, read 974,268 times
Omg....what a load of drivel. The world is not any worse than ages ago. We've advanced and have far more resources than people had a century ago. And a century ago people were also preaching the end of the world.
Not selfish at all and anyone wanting a child will find the answer in their own hearts.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,146,970 times
Well, I believe that children are God's gift and they are ultimately His, regardless of the world situation. Whatever happens, they are His. Personally, I have never really wanted to have children, believing that there were too many out here that are in need of homes and if God blesses me to be able to, I would like to pursue this. But if there are those who want children, I believe that as you are trusting in God, He will take care of you and your little ones in the midst of the turmoil. God bless.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,286,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Yes. Even if we weren't in the end times, who in their right mind would want to bring a child into this sick, immoral world?

Unfortunately people will continue to do it, because the things of the world are more important than God and His Word.

Case in point:

Matthew 24:19
How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!

Mark 13:17
How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!

Luke 21:23
How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people.

Looks like it's just not a good idea, since it was mentioned 3 times in 3 different books of the Bible.
By the evidence of your out of context quotes, it would selfish NOT to have children. You passages only point out the suffering of the mothers, and is silent on the fate of the children involved.

These passages are descriptions of the conditions that will occur BEFORE the end times arrive so that we can be sure all of the prerequisites have been met. It does not actually state that this will be the state of events AT the end of times.

From the same translation:

29 “Immediately after the anguish of those days,

the sun will be darkened,
the moon will give no light,
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.[g]

30 And then at last, the sign that the Son of Man is coming will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the peoples of the earth. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.[h] 31 And he will send out his angels with the mighty blast of a trumpet, and they will gather his chosen ones from all over the world[i]—from the farthest ends of the earth and heaven.

You could argue that it would selfish to deny a soul from the glory of Christ's return. I, for one, am not concerned that the end times are imminent. They could be, or they might not. To my understanding we have seen events over the last several centuries that could be intrepreted to fulfill all of the prophecies in Revelations and the gospels. To my knowledge, large numbers of people have not disappeared from the face of the earth simultaneously, and I have not seen the heavens open or heard the trumpet of the Lord sound, so I am confident I have not slept through any end of the world.

I believe that when it happens, we will all suddenly recognize events for what they were.....but I think their meaning will be obscured from our understanding until the very end. Christ did tell us that:

36 “However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself.[k] Only the Father knows.

Wouldn't be much of a secret if we could all see it coming, now would it?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,291,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but myself, I have 4 year-old twins and a nine-yr-old son and if God does'nt come soon, I surely am concerned for their futures. I do my best to "train them up" in the right way. I pray God's protection around them daily. I read to and with them the bible, I speak to them about Christ Jesus. Though, they are at the age of innocence, they have accepted the Lord Jesus into their little hearts. They are here already though, and only God knows the plans He has for them. Would I produce more, right now? Absolutely not, given what I know today. Seeing the times as they are, no. As DayoftheLord posted in the above, the scriptures says it all.

Now THIS is a fine example of religion being very unhealthy!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,284,432 times
Only God knows the time and place of the last times. We have signs and we see some of those in these times. But we cannot live in fear. We need to raise Godly children in this fallen world.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,423,150 times
No, I don't think it is selfish at all...how sad it would be not to have anymore little babies born in this world...might as well forget about falling in love...getting married...erase all hopes of being a grandma or a grandpa......it was o.k. that we were born and had a chance at life...besides I don't think it's our choice...God isn't going on vacation from creating and forming more children for Himself!...Love...Selfish?...Na!!...Blessing?... Yea!!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,101,069 times
I think to not have children because you believe we're in the end times not only shows a lack of faith and trust in God but also leads one to believe that you know what's better for this world than God does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity