Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times

Advertisements

Given the Christian end times talk I have a question.

Is it selfish to procreate if you believe the end of the world is around the corner?

I'm talkin' baby makin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
Yes. Even if we weren't in the end times, who in their right mind would want to bring a child into this sick, immoral world?

Unfortunately people will continue to do it, because the things of the world are more important than God and His Word.

Case in point:

Matthew 24:19
How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!

Mark 13:17
How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!

Luke 21:23
How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people.

Looks like it's just not a good idea, since it was mentioned 3 times in 3 different books of the Bible.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but myself, I have 4 year-old twins and a nine-yr-old son and if God does'nt come soon, I surely am concerned for their futures. I do my best to "train them up" in the right way. I pray God's protection around them daily. I read to and with them the bible, I speak to them about Christ Jesus. Though, they are at the age of innocence, they have accepted the Lord Jesus into their little hearts. They are here already though, and only God knows the plans He has for them. Would I produce more, right now? Absolutely not, given what I know today. Seeing the times as they are, no. As DayoftheLord posted in the above, the scriptures says it all.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,904 times
Default God's will

okay...I know what bible says about "baby making." But I have a daughter who was just engaged. She asked me this same question and seems to be distraught over the thought that so many people seem to think our life here is over or is getting close. The only thing I can say to her is if indeed this is the end of our life as we know it then there are better things coming. I think she should live life like she wants...if she wants to get married and have a baby, then she should. God will see us through. He knows what is in her heart. I know it's easy to say "yes, it's selfish." It would be real easy for me to say "no, I won't have anymore children"----but I've already had three and they are almost grown! I honestly don't know what I would do if I was young again and just starting out...it's a very hard question. We truly do not know that we only have 7 years left....or whatever time frame people are putting on it. We only know that we are seeing signs. If it's God's will, it will happen...that goes for His coming or having a baby.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,904 times
Default talking to

I know I will get a talking to from DOTL and Betsy and probably many others....
But by the way DOTL talks, it was a horrible thing for even us to be born. I like both of these women and I respect their opinions....I just want to remind that indeed we will see signs and we will know the end is near...but how close is the end....for we know not the hour.
I am probably a little closer to this question because of my daughter...I see the pain on her face when speaks of having a baby and I remember the longing I had when I wanted my children.
She knows the bible...she knows God....she will make the right decision...whatever that may be. I and others can only pray to God that He will guide in us in this time.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Good grief...I cannot believe that you pass your paranoia on to your children...The world is not worse today. If anything it is getting better all the time...Check back a hundred years in history and let me know if you would want to live in those times.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,975,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Is it selfish to procreate if you believe the end of the world is around the corner?
Seeing how the "end times" have been forecast as being imminent for the past 2000 or so years, not at all.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
procreation - children the ultimate possession trip.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
procreation - children the ultimate possession trip.
Children are not possessions. Why would you think that?

Kahlil Gibran Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Given the Christian end times talk I have a question.

I'm talkin' baby makin'
Absolutely, If you think the world is coming to an end it is also selfish to believe that only you and the people you can frighten into your beliefs will be the only ones that God will have mercy on.....
I don't think the world is ending, just that history repeats itself and that the earth goes through certain cycles and that God is good ...If one believes the world is ending I would think they should be busy cleaning up their lives and spreading seeds of faith/belief and love and pray that the holy Spirit will stir and put a longing to know God into those who have no belief instead of insulting, hurting and argueing with those who do have a relationship with God that may be a little different from theirs.. We should never, never, never welcome war and destruction or any of mans evilness..That is only taking part in the evilness..
As always this is only my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity