U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM

9,728 posts, read 3,540,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
The 'guys' that wrote the NT (and all the rest of the Bible) were inspired by God, through the Holy Spirit. They wrote as they were directed to, by the Spirit of God. The Spirit gave them all things that pretains to life and godliness, which includes all that Jesus said and did that He wanted recorded for all of us.

Right on, Marion Also most of the NT writers walked and talked with the apostles and knew their words first hand. Plus they did not have computers to think for them. In that day and age people actually used their mind to remember and this was the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,214,406 times
So the point of the thread is what? Generally in a debate an argument is clearly outlined. Your argument is?

1. You are like Jesus?
2. Jesus was rude?
3. You don't know if you are witnessing?
4. All of the above?

I'd just like to know before responding so I can stay on topic.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 PM

9,728 posts, read 3,540,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have been told lately by a few in this forum that my witnessing techniques need work, that I am doing more harm than good bringing people to Christ furthermore that I should pray about my attitude. I had no idea I was witnessing to people, I thought I was debating theology with Christians but since we are in a critiquing mode.

No offense, but I think you are being self deceptive. You know very well that hundreds if not thousands of people read what is written here. Everything we write is a witness on this forum, we need to remember this at all times.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,637,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Are you serious???
No, he is not serious. He is teasing...

If we are too serious, we get chastized. If we use a little levity, we are chastized! We can't win for losing!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM

40,201 posts, read 26,826,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So the point of the thread is what? Generally in a debate an argument is clearly outlined. Your argument is?

1. You are like Jesus?
2. Jesus was rude?
3. You don't know if you are witnessing?
4. All of the above?

I'd just like to know before responding so I can stay on topic.
I vote #4. Clearly he sees himsellf with the same authority as Jesus to judge others and condemn their actions and beliefs as NOT Christian, etc. . . . whether or not anyone thinks it is rude. He doesn't seem to believe in just witnessing HIS beliefs and leaving others alone.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,026,237 times
***sigh***

Good grief, Mystic....get over yourself.

Btw people, it's FUNDIE.....not Fundy. I'm SERIOUS.

Fundamentalist.....I'm only going to tell you this once so listen up.

Be yourself and make no apologies for it. God needs people like you, me and Robin just like he needs the "proper" Christians. For the life of me I cannot understand why people demand we all be just alike, especially if we claim to be Christians. We're all different, and we all serve a different and specific purpose in God's Kingdom. It's not something we do on purpose, it's our personalities and who we are. Big whoop, get over it people.

Here's what people REALLY think about you/me:

hmmmmm.....you know, he/she really ticks me off, but they're right. Not how I would handle it, of course, but they're right.

Man I wish I had that kind of nerve. I would have NEVER said that, but I'm glad he/she did. Somebody needed to.

How rude!!! But he/she has a point. I think I might have been too quick to judge him/her. They REALLY love the Lord and NEVER back down.

And here's what the poor newbies think:

How rude!!! I'm gonna give that jerk a piece of my mind!!!

And after a couple of weeks, you grow on them too.

So I say, keep up the good work!!! Give 'em hell because it's better to give it to them now than to have them spend an eternity in it.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,267,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayofthelord View Post
so i say, keep up the good work!!! Give 'em hell because it's better to give it to them now than to have them spend an eternity in it.
Amen!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 AM

30,930 posts, read 31,824,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
***sigh***

Good grief, Mystic....get over yourself.

Btw people, it's FUNDIE.....not Fundy. I'm SERIOUS.

Fundamentalist.....I'm only going to tell you this once so listen up.

Be yourself and make no apologies for it. God needs people like you, me and Robin just like he needs the "proper" Christians. For the life of me I cannot understand why people demand we all be just alike, especially if we claim to be Christians. We're all different, and we all serve a different and specific purpose in God's Kingdom. It's not something we do on purpose, it's our personalities and who we are. Big whoop, get over it people.

Here's what people REALLY think about you/me:

hmmmmm.....you know, he/she really ticks me off, but they're right. Not how I would handle it, of course, but they're right.

Man I wish I had that kind of nerve. I would have NEVER said that, but I'm glad he/she did. Somebody needed to.

How rude!!! But he/she has a point. I think I might have been too quick to judge him/her. They REALLY love the Lord and NEVER back down.

And here's what the poor newbies think:

How rude!!! I'm gonna give that jerk a piece of my mind!!!

And after a couple of weeks, you grow on them too.

So I say, keep up the good work!!! Give 'em hell because it's better to give it to them now than to have them spend an eternity in it.
Geez, I don't know about this witnessing thing, but I'll say this. If I hadn't been an atheist before I came on this site, I'd be one now...Improvement is needed in my impartial opinion. I see a hundred different opinions about what Christianity is...I see that everybody thinks their opinion is correct, and much bickering to defend those opinions. I see admitting that one may be wrong is very rare.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,728,632 times
To all,
If direct confrontation is needed to get the job done then just do it. If it is done in selfless love then that is just as perfect of an act as when you hold your tongue for someone else's good.

On the other hand - just having a forceful, confrontational personality (ie: being a jerk) is no help to anyone. It has no virtue in and of itself.

Sanspeur,
Almost all humans are delusional. For example IIRC 90% of people polled feel they are 'better than average' drivers (!). It's just the way the human mind works and most everyone thinks they are doing the right thing no matter how clear it is to everyone else that they are not. Usually we need to fall flat on our faces to be humbled enough to allow some wisdom to seep in through the resulting cracks in our stubborn armour.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 AM

55,744 posts, read 74,738,506 times
judgemental is bad. lack of judgement is much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or