U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM

9,728 posts, read 3,538,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Such a bright hubris.. blinding really..

Takes one to know one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,138,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and I have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked - REVELATION 3:15-17
Being cold or hot is not the issue here. There's no end to how the human mind justifies wrong behavior...

The Bible also talks a lot about spiritual blindness.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

40,166 posts, read 26,789,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Being cold or hot is not the issue here. There's no end to how the human mind justifies wrong behavior...

The Bible also talks a lot about spiritual blindness.
Self-righteousness is its own reward, WC . . . it feeds itself into a powerful frenzy of infallibility that must be proclaimed to the world as loudly as possible. It cannot be penetrated or reasoned with . . . it is self-reinforcing.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,725,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Self-righteousness is its own reward, WC . . . it feeds itself into a powerful frenzy of infallibility that must be proclaimed to the world as loudly as possible. It cannot be penetrated or reasoned with . . . it is self-reinforcing.
Are you talking about Paul, Peter, Luke, John preaching about the gospel? Amen! "powerful frenzy of infallibility that must be proclaimed to the world as loudly as possible."

Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,725,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Spoken like a true fence sitter. How many gurus do you worship now?? People eat it up because it's the truth. Nice try, FB but you have to do better than this to "offend" me. If this little tidbit didn't offend me, then you're definitely wasting your time:

You said it yourself............I'm FRIENDLY!!!
Fence sitter? Gurus? Spoken like a true dogmatic fundie

The "give 'em hell" line though is classic. That's why some heretics were burned with green wood - to give them some time to experience hell and repent.

People eat it up cuz they're freak out fundies.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM

40,166 posts, read 26,789,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Are you talking about Paul, Peter, Luke, John preaching about the gospel? Amen! "powerful frenzy of infallibility that must be proclaimed to the world as loudly as possible."
Your rapid response shows you know exactly who I was referring to, Fundie . . . today's infallible judgers, condemners, and obnoxious proclaimers of the ONLY truth as they see it. They ALL know who they are. Colossians 2:20-23 (Amplified Bible)

20If then you have died with Christ to material ways of looking at things and have escaped from the world's crude and elemental notions and teachings of externalism, why do you live as if you still belong to the world? [Why do you submit to rules and regulations?--such as]

21Do not handle [this], Do not taste [that], Do not even touch [them],

22Referring to things all of which perish with being used. To do this is to follow human precepts and doctrines.(A)

23Such [practices] have indeed the outward appearance [that popularly passes] for wisdom, in promoting self-imposed rigor of devotion and delight in self-humiliation and severity of discipline of the body, but they are of no value in checking the indulgence of the flesh (the lower nature). [Instead, they do not honor God but serve only to indulge the flesh.]

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,211,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post

Here's what people REALLY think about you/me:

hmmmmm.....you know, he/she really ticks me off, but they're right. Not how I would handle it, of course, but they're right.

Man I wish I had that kind of nerve. I would have NEVER said that, but I'm glad he/she did. Somebody needed to.

How rude!!! But he/she has a point. I think I might have been too quick to judge him/her. They REALLY love the Lord and NEVER back down.
By definition I'm not a newbie (member since 2006)..

and what you listed is NEVER what I'm really thinking with regards those posts.

I just wanted to clarify.

Good day.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,489,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I have always wondered how the guys who wrote the New Testament knew exactly what Jesus said? I mean, those stories were written a LONG time after Jesus died. Someone must have had a realllleeee good memory, or a good tape recorder, to get all those quotes down word for word.
Especially all the third person stories where Jesus was "alone..."

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,866,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Geez, I don't know about this witnessing thing, but I'll say this. If I hadn't been an atheist before I came on this site, I'd be one now...Improvement is needed in my impartial opinion. I see a hundred different opinions about what Christianity is...I see that everybody thinks their opinion is correct, and much bickering to defend those opinions. I see admitting that one may be wrong is very rare.
I agree with you. another rep for you. the problem is the atheists do it too. there are more than a few reasons why I don't believe in a Christian God.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,866,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I don't think Jesus was rude.

I know, I know...I'm wrong.
I have this feeling, providing it was a true story, that Jesus had a way about him, charismatic way, that caused the woman to not believe that he was rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or