Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times

Advertisements

Very good. Not only would many of the Apostles be rejected by many 'Christians' today, so are many present day disciples who stand up for the doctrine of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
by Disciples I mean Christ's 11 Disciples
make that 12......Judas was selected by the same guy who selected the rest.......

Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think that many societies look at different things as rude. I guess loking back I thought most of my teachers were rude. Jesus didn't come to earth to be either rude or not rude. I think many here are rude with their postings but people are all different in different areas.If you are in the south they think all northerners are rude;but that is just the way they act and I am sure don't intend it.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I have always wondered how the guys who wrote the New Testament knew exactly what Jesus said? I mean, those stories were written a LONG time after Jesus died. Someone must have had a realllleeee good memory, or a good tape recorder, to get all those quotes down word for word.
The Holy Spirit helped him.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have been told lately by a few in this forum that my witnessing techniques need work, that I am doing more harm than good bringing people to Christ furthermore that I should pray about my attitude. I had no idea I was witnessing to people, I thought I was debating theology with Christians but since we are in a critiquing mode. Let's see how Jesus did it.

"Jesus and the woman at the well" screen play, Act 1 Scene 1 (with alil narrating)

ACTION!!

Jesus: "Give Me a drink." (What? no hi or how are you, just woman. That's chauvenist)

Woman: "How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a
"For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. (Get lost)

Jesus: "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." (I know a pickup line when I hear one-really forward)

Woman: "Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water?
"You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?" (and you are?- I think the woman is getting miffed)

Jesus: "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again;
but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." (I gotta hand it to Jesus, slick talker- kinda full of Himself though)

Woman: "Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw." (She's kinda digging it)

Jesus: "Go, call your husband and come here." (Jesus being forward and a bit rude)

Woman: "I have no husband." (What are you talking about and why is that your buisness)

Jesus: "You have correctly said, 'I have no husband';
for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; this you have said truly." (WOW! That is judgmental)

Woman: "Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet.
"Our fathers worshiped in this mountain, and you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship." (You got me)

Jesus: "Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.
"You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
(Wait! is Jesus saying, She is wrong and that there is only one truth, and he has the audacity to say He alone has it?)

Woman: "I know that Messiah is coming He who is called Christ; when that One comes, He will declare all things to us."
(You have your truth and I have my truth)

Jesus: "I who speak to you am He."
(Jesus is the ONLY way)

WOW! such a witness encounter would be deemed by today's standards as judgmental, intolerant and offensive.
I use to wonder about the same things, but I have come to relize that Jesus is God and he has a right to say things how he wants to say them. Jesus to me was hard core and just got down to the point and said what he had to say without sugar coating it. If we said the things that Jesus said back then, we would probably get cursed out, or get a crazy look. But that is why I love Jesus. He did things on his terms and his way. But God is sovereign and can say what ever he likes.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:11 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I have always wondered how the guys who wrote the New Testament knew exactly what Jesus said? I mean, those stories were written a LONG time after Jesus died. Someone must have had a realllleeee good memory, or a good tape recorder, to get all those quotes down word for word.
God's Holy Spirit was their tape recorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity