U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,469,965 times

Advertisements

Thoughts are INDEED sinful. Even Jesus taught this! Donna, reread your post please. I think there is an error there.

Is not adultry sin?

Mat 5:27
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jam 1:15
Then when lust has conceived(what is in the heart), it gives birth to sin(thoughts); and when sin is accomplished(the action completed), it brings forth death.(the sentence)

Would that not make lusting a sin? Would that not fall under coveting?

Let us look at what Paul wrote to th Romans:

And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness(SINFUL), wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; {they are} gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

Ouch, be careful what we preach, so that it falls in line with how God wants us and COMMANDS us to THINK, and ACT. If it isn't to His Glory, then it isn't worth doing. How many in that list above, are thoughts...

Last edited by HotinAZ; 01-15-2009 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,259,350 times
James1:12-15
Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempted anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-blown, brings forth death.

The typical origin, progress, and outcome of sin. The movement is downward. First come the thoughts followed by desires; then acceptance followed by action; finally and ultimately death.
Evil desires have been conceived when our will decides to act on them. Until then it is not sin.....

There is a difference in lusting verses temptation!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-15-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,417,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempted anyone. But each one is tempted whe he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-blown, brings forth death.

The typical origin, progress, and outcome of sin. The movement is downward. First come the thoughts followed by desires; then acceptance followed by action; finally and ultimately death.
Evil desires have been conceived when our will decides to act on them. Until then it is not sin.....

...love you curly...

Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,469,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempted anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-blown, brings forth death.

To be "drawn away" is to "fall away"....and if you fall away? Your heart is not right with God.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
To be "drawn away" is to "fall away"....and if you fall away? Your heart is not right with God.
It starts in the thoughts, that is where sin begins the process..... one can deny the seed of the thought of that which is tempting the soul.

To be drawn away one has to consent to that which is drawing one too. And then one falls away when one gives consent to the enticement or temptation. It is not sin till the will acts upon the thought.

But to lust in the heart is sin already for one has be premeditating upon the sin in the heart.
Jesus revealed the fuller meaning of the command against adultery as he did with that against murder.
Adultery is a sin but so is inward lust. Temptation to commit adultery arises not only from the outside, from the woman or man, but from the man's or woman's inner.
A lustful self, Jesus urges to discipline our thoughts so that weaknesses might not lead to sin......

The lust has went from thought into action (imaginations, feelings, sensuality).... one has given self over to the imaginations in the mind and it enters the heart and then one is hungering, thirsting for that which one desires and will act upon it! Lust is the weakness of self that which is already in the heart.

Nip the thought immediately in Christ and He gives the power to overcome the temptation....

1Cor. 10:13
No temptation has over taken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also give the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

2Cor.10:4-5
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down every arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-15-2009 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: check spelling

Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM

302 posts, read 476,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Thoughts are INDEED sinful. Even Jesus taught this! Donna, reread your post please. I think there is an error there.

Is not adultry sin?

Mat 5:27
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jam 1:15
Then when lust has conceived(what is in the heart), it gives birth to sin(thoughts); and when sin is accomplished(the action completed), it brings forth death.(the sentence)

Would that not make lusting a sin? Would that not fall under coveting?

Let us look at what Paul wrote to th Romans:

And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness(SINFUL), wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; {they are} gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

Ouch, be careful what we preach, so that it falls in line with how God wants us and COMMANDS us to THINK, and ACT. If it isn't to His Glory, then it isn't worth doing. How many in that list above, are thoughts...
Please read my post again. You are confusing temptation with sin.

Donna

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
im putting my asbestos suit in layaway now. looks like my best is not guna fly.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM

342 posts, read 468,415 times
Sinful Thoughts lead to Sin......and some thoughts can be sinful in themselves.......It can be a "very fine line".......for example: a beautiful woman may pass by and I may "notice" her beauty.....that is only a temptation if I do not continue to dwell on this thought......but if I delibrately continue to think lustfully of her in fantasy then it becomes a sin even if I have no intention of acting it out........If I am angry with my brother I have sinned......if my anger is momentary and I quickly turn from it... it is a temptation only.......This is why every thought must be taken captive to the obedience of God.........Every sin begins with a thought......You can have unforgiveness in your heart and no one but God may know it....Is that a sin I think yes.........Some maybe spiritually prideful.....do they love, patiently teach and correct others or do they think too highly of themselves......a sin of pride may be a very internal thought or could be very obvious.......do I commit sin of omission do I feed the hungry or clothe the naked, visit those in prison, in hospitals etc........Bottom line: "Jesus came to save sinners not those who think they are good enough" .......All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God........but if we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive our sin...and....If we forgive our brother seventy times seven, God will forgive us......if we condemn we will be condemed......

Last edited by Vessif; 01-15-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 AM

5,441 posts, read 4,864,880 times
The word lust, in my studies, lead me to believe it means to covet.

(Romans 7:7) "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."

Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The word lust, in my studies, lead me to believe it means to covet.

(Romans 7:7) "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."
Amen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or