U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 PM

174 posts, read 451,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
Is there an actual being that is the devil?

The Word 'Devil' in the Scripture

And so it is with the word 'devil' too. Jesus said, "Have not I chosen you twelve (disciples), and one of you is a devil? He spake of Judas Iscariot..." who was an ordinary, mortal man.

It was so said because Judas was possessed by satan. The opportunity was due to the unrepentant sin which resided within him...

Quote:
John 13:27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
Diabolos is a result of the attribute that Satan is know by, the Slanderer. It also speaks to the origin of the action in the heart of a man.

What you present as fact is conjecture based upon improper application of a translated definition. The actual use of the word doesn't bear that out. You'll not find that word used in reference to a demon, nor will you find that in those instances you can interchange sin with a demon. Sin doesn't possess one to throw themselves into a fire or cut one's self. Not to mention the notion of casting sin out of someone is unbiblical.

Also, if you're interested in what the early church understood about the demonic realm and its origins, I recommend you read Clement's account of creation in his "Recognitions of Clement", chapter 27 and forward, as well as chapter 11 and on in the Clemetine Homilies.

The understanding you espouse weakens one in the knowledge and understanding of the Word. It just as well renders one ineffective in spiritual battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:30 AM

178 posts, read 348,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It was so said because Judas was possessed by satan. The opportunity was due to the unrepentant sin which resided within him...

Diabolos is a result of the attribute that Satan is know by, the Slanderer. It also speaks to the origin of the action in the heart of a man.

What you present as fact is conjecture based upon improper application of a translated definition. The actual use of the word doesn't bear that out. You'll not find that word used in reference to a demon, nor will you find that in those instances you can interchange sin with a demon. Sin doesn't possess one to throw themselves into a fire or cut one's self. Not to mention the notion of casting sin out of someone is unbiblical.

Also, if you're interested in what the early church understood about the demonic realm and its origins, I recommend you read Clement's account of creation in his "Recognitions of Clement", chapter 27 and forward, as well as chapter 11 and on in the Clemetine Homilies.

The understanding you espouse weakens one in the knowledge and understanding of the Word. It just as well renders one ineffective in spiritual battle.
Do you believe in an actual being who is the devil? Does he have power to do things contrary to God's will?
I never suggested sin could be cast out, sin comes from within us not without us as something to be removed. Sin is our fault. If not, we can blame all of our transgressions on an outside source which we are a slave to. This cannot be because it suggests a power other than God's supreme sovereignty. By virtue of Christ's sacrifice, we are free from the bondage of our own sin. We are now bonded to Christ.

Some uses of the word "satan"
1 Kings 11:14, "The Lord stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite."
1 Kings 11:23,25, "And God stirred up another adversary...Rezon...he was an adversary to Israel"
In the above passages, the word "adversary" is from the same Hebrew word elsewhere translated "satan." This does not mean that God stirred up a supernatural being or an Angel to be a satan/adversary to Solomon; He stirred up ordinary men.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

Their unbelief was the cause of their hardened hearts and in the end, was the cause of their destruction.

We must recognize unbelief for what it is...

This truth has come alive in me...

I can't tell whether you are addressing other Christians who may experience doubt/disbelief (?) or whether you are addressing those out there who simply do not or cannot, for whatever reason, believe. If the latter, then I've got to say, this is the one thing that I think I've read in all my time on CD that has truly made me cry.

Which certainly does not speak to a "hardened heart."

At least not in June.

So I'll just leave you with these words, and the music that at one time spoke something to me, and almost made sense:

"I got nothing left to defend
I cannot pretend
That everything makes sense
But does it really matter now
If I do not know how
To figure this thing out?

I am falling into grace..."

YouTube - unknown (original version) - Lifehouse

Take gentle care.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,720,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

I cannot pretend
If I do not know how

Take gentle care.
I should have known you were a fellow Lifehouse fan.

"I am against myself again
trying to fit these pieces in
walking on a cloud of dust to
get to you"

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,421,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I can't tell whether you are addressing other Christians who may experience doubt/disbelief (?) or whether you are addressing those out there who simply do not or cannot, for whatever reason, believe. If the latter, then I've got to say, this is the one thing that I think I've read in all my time on CD that has truly made me cry.

Which certainly does not speak to a "hardened heart."

At least not in June.

So I'll just leave you with these words, and the music that at one time spoke something to me, and almost made sense:

I cannot pretend
If I do not know how

Take gentle care.
Dear june...please forgive me if I've hurt you..truly I didn't mean to...yes...I was speaking to other Christians. Satan oftens succeeds in causing Christians to refuse to hear Gods voice. You do not have a hard heart june...if anything...you have a very tender heart...and even though you are not a believer right now...you will become one...there is something very tender and sensitive about you...and kind...and compassionate...you're o.k!......God created you too june...just like He created me...and He doesn't make mistakes...we do...but by His grace and His mercy and our acceptance of Him and His precious gift of Jesus...all of our sin is washed away and dumped into a deep, vast sea of no rememberance...so when we (Christians) stand in front of Jesus our King, we won't be judged on our sin...we will be judged on what we did in our life in the name of Jesus...our service in His name. Non-believers will stand in front of Him and He will say, "Depart from me...I never knew you." We must make this choice before we die...after that it is too late...and remember...no one is promised a tomorrow...anything could happen at anytime...I pray june hears His call for her life......I love you.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM

40,058 posts, read 26,739,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Non-believers will stand in front of Him and He will say, "Depart from me...I never knew you." We must make this choice before we die...after that it is too late...and remember...no one is promised a tomorrow...anything could happen at anytime...I pray june hears His call for her life......I love you.
June . . . if my opinion matters . . . I disagree strongly with Verna about this issue. It is your true thoughts and attitudes that define you . . . not what you profess to believe. From all I can determine yours are close enough to Jesus' to warrant inclusion among the successes . . . not the failures. It is not too late for anything . . . your thoughts defend you. Be well,
Mystic

Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,421,064 times
Dear june...it isn't too late...unless you die before you receive Jesus into your heart...you must be born again...Jesus is THE ONLY WAY ...there is no other way...no matter what anyone else may say...there is NO OTHER WAY...PERIOD. Love

Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post

"I am against myself again
trying to fit these pieces in
walking on a cloud of dust to
get to you"

"I am falling into grace
To the unknown to where you are
And faith makes everybody scared
It's the unknown, it's the don't-know
That keeps me hanging on to you..."

firstborn: You understimate this atheist, June thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or