U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
So I have been wondering this a lot lately....what are your thoughts on Humor? Is it a gift from God, is it a TRAIT from God....if we are made in His image and people have been trying to make others laugh since way back when.....what is Humors role in Christianity? I hope this makes since.

It was one of the things that I loved in the book The Shack. I loved the scenes where God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit where all having fun with each other, light hearted good old fashioned fun. The essence of our being is to be in relationship with God, doesn't that include those moments?

Obviously there are many types of humor. People find different types, well humorous while others find it offensive. Just curious...
It does make sense. lol I remember way back when saying God has a sense of humor. I never did find one person that didn't look at me like I was some kind of bad. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 PM

21,637 posts, read 30,249,870 times
I definitely believe God has a sense of humor, I'm sure He gets some good laughs on City Data!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,906,491 times
When God created man, She was only joking...........

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,730,717 times
Post Yeah, walking one's talk recognizably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
When God created man, She was only joking...........

Wait a minute.. where are the emoticons to make sure of that. And ensure a lasting trust?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,800 times
:d

Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,717,680 times
I believe God has a sense of humor, afterall we were made in His image, but his humor is righteous and Holy not like ours in our fallen condition.

An example of God's humor is the instance in which the Israelites were using the Ark of the Covenant like a good-luck charm in taking it to battle, and the Philistines ended up capturing it and placing it in their temple before their idol of Dagon. They came into the temple the next day and found Dagon flat on his face before the ark. They set him back up. The next morning, there he was again, but this time he had his hands and head cut off as a symbol of his powerlessness before the God of the ark. God’s putting Dagon in a position of submission to His ark is a comical picture.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,957 times
I like the account in 1 Kings 18 about the altars. One built to God and the other to Baal.
" So they took the bull which was given them, and they prepared it,and called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon, saying," O Baal,hear us!" But there was no voice; no one answered. Then they leaped about the altar they had made.
And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said," Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened."

Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 PM

40,056 posts, read 26,739,576 times
Default This was in a email recently

This reminded me of the difficulty of pointing out the errors of women in this forum.

One day, when a seamstress was sewing while sitting close to a river, her thimble fell into the river. When she cried out, the Lord appeared and asked, "My dear child, why are you crying?" The seamstress replied that her thimble had fallen into the water and that she needed it to help her husband in making a living for their family. The Lord dipped His hand into the water and pulled up a golden thimble set with sapphires.

"Is this your thimble?" the Lord asked The seamstress replied, "No."
The Lord again dipped into the river. He held out a golden thimble studded with rubies.

"Is this your thimble?" the Lord asked. Again, the seamstress replied, "No."
The Lord reached down again and came up with a leather thimble.

"Is this your thimble ?" the Lord asked. The seamstress replied, "Yes." The Lord was pleased with the woman's honesty and gave her all three thimbles to keep, and the seamstress went home happy.

Some years later, the seamstress was walking with her husband along the riverbank, and her husband fell into the river and disappeared under the water. When she cried out, the Lord again appeared and asked her, "Why are you crying?" "Oh Lord, my husband has fallen into the river!"

The Lord went down into the water and came up with George Clooney. "Is this your husband?" the Lord asked.

"Yes," cried the seamstress. The Lord was furious. "You lied! That is an untruth!" The seamstress replied, "Oh, forgive me, my Lord. It is a misunderstanding. You see, if I had said 'no' to George Clooney, you would have come up with Brad Pitt.

Then if I said 'no' to him, you would have come up with my husband. Had I then said 'yes,' you would have given me all three. Lord, I'm not in the best of health and would not be able to take care of all three husbands, so THAT'S why I said 'yes' to George Clooney.

And so the Lord let her keep him.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,206,887 times
For instance.. is this joke funny?

How do you make a baby float.

Take 2 scoops of ice cream, 2 scoops of babies and add root beer.

See... thats very funny to me.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,099,660 times
I absolutely believe humor is a gift from God. I've always thought my greatest personality trait is my sense of humor. I can be somewhat sarcastic and have a very quick wit. It's how I am all the time unless I'm in a situation where I have to be serious. My problem with all of this is I've had a very difficult time finding Christian friends, especially online, because it seems like most of the Christians I "run into" are serious all the time. That's not how I am, and I'll never be able to be that way and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity