U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,630,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
But there is a difference between the "Church" and the world.. or at least there should be. There are some instructions given in scripture (such as brotherly admonishment, reproof, church discipline) that are meant for spiritual brethren, and don't apply in how we relate to the unconverted world.
I took it to mean that it is just not Timothy that it applies to, but to all Christains????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:44 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,146,970 times
Quote:
Paul's admonition to Timothy: "Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke , exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."
What is your understanding of this scripture, and the ones following it?
I believe that Paul was giving Timothy instructions concerning his role/ministry as an evangelist. Evanglist-=euaggelistes=one who declares the good news., a preacher of the gospel. Originally evangelist denoted a function, rather than an office, and there could have been little difference between an evangelist and an apostle, all apostles being evangelists but not all evangelists being apostles. They were subordinate to the apostles (Hebrew/Greek Word Study). God bless.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,695,516 times
Be ready to spread God's word at all times: whether or not the time is right. Point out errors, warn people, and encourage them. Be very patient when you teach. God = LOVE, patience & understanding

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,274,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Well Paul is giving Timothy a final charge to fulfill his ministry and backs up this charge with his own testimony of faithfulness in face of imminent martyrdom.

The Christian minister is to preach the gospel when convenient and when not convenient. He seeks to convince those in error, to rebuke those going astray, and to extort (encourage) everyone. Long suffering we must be patient with people who are slow to respond and keep on carefully teaching the truth.

My personal belief in this and with this forum.... to many are trying to play the role of the Holy Spirit! BUT... the Holy Spirit does not get rude, yell, push, say awful things to one to get them to see the Truth.
He is a gentlemen, respecting all persons and leads with long suffering to draw that one back from error or sin.

The other verses false teaching increases because people want to hear what pleases them rather than what is true. With having itching ears their curious to hear anything new and sensational, they run from one teacher to another. Accepting as truth whatever is said, or printed, leads one only to fables.

But we, who seek to teach others the truth, do not get carried away with every new idea. Instead, "preach the word". As an evangelist, tell others about Christ and seek to make them His followers.
I couldn't have said this any better. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 PM

37 posts, read 99,080 times
Default A little outline

I preached a message on this passage. Obviously it was wrtitten to young Timothy who was struggling in the ministry concerning false teachers and his own fear. But, I also believe it can have an application to all believers as well and not just pastors.

I. A true servant must be a proclaiming servant

A. He must proclaim the Word of God constantly (Instant in season and out of season, when it's easy or hard)

B. He must proclaim the Word of constructively (reprove, rebuke, exhort)

II. A true servant must be a practicing servant

A. He must practice enduarance in afflictions (for the time will come when they won't endure sound doctrine)

B. He must practice evangelism to the lost (do the work of an evangelist)

III. A true servant must be a prevailing servant

A. He must prevail valiantly (I have fought a good fight)

B. He must prevail victoriously (Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness)

That is obviously just an outline, and believe me when I wrote that outline for an undergrad preaching class 10 or 11 years ago I worked hard at getting all of my points and subpoints alliterated. I don't do that anymore. I preach what the passage says and explain it. Alliteration is not important to me.

Basically all believers need to proclaim the Word of God when it is convenient or not. When we are in times of persecution or peace. They also need to stand up for what's right and strive to fight the fight in a proper way and remain faithful. I am afraid there are a lot of Christians today that are going to lose a lot of rewards for their lack of faithfulness to God and His Word.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM

ryperry, Very good! You covered it all in a great study. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,030,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Were you speaking to me? Sorry...I can't tell.
It was just a blanket statement to apply to whom it needed to.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,030,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
But there is a difference between the "Church" and the world.. or at least there should be. There are some instructions given in scripture (such as brotherly admonishment, reproof, church discipline) that are meant for spiritual brethren, and don't apply in how we relate to the unconverted world.
You are correct, that is why I said it pertained to Christians, the true Church, reaching the world. What we must also understand is that there are many who claim to be Christians or of the Church who are still of the world in some way shape or form. We also realize that were live in this world and yes must set higher standards for ourselves, but must address the things of this world and try to bring them back to a Godly understanding.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Some very good thought here. Robin, I agree with your last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity