Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times

Advertisements

Paul's admonition to Timothy: "Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke , exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."
What is your understanding of this scripture, and the ones following it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Telling others about Jesus is the most important responsibility we have as Christians. We need to be prepared, courageous and sensitive to God when given opportunities. Ready to served in any situation.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Paul's admonition to Timothy: "Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke , exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."
Intolerance and judgmental

Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Well Paul is giving Timothy a final charge to fulfill his ministry and backs up this charge with his own testimony of faithfulness in face of imminent martyrdom.

The Christian minister is to preach the gospel when convenient and when not convenient. He seeks to convince those in error, to rebuke those going astray, and to extort (encourage) everyone. Long suffering we must be patient with people who are slow to respond and keep on carefully teaching the truth.

My personal belief in this and with this forum.... to many are trying to play the role of the Holy Spirit! BUT... the Holy Spirit does not get rude, yell, push, say awful things to one to get them to see the Truth.
He is a gentlemen, respecting all persons and leads with long suffering to draw that one back from error or sin.

The other verses false teaching increases because people want to hear what pleases them rather than what is true. With having itching ears their curious to hear anything new and sensational, they run from one teacher to another. Accepting as truth whatever is said, or printed, leads one only to fables.

But we, who seek to teach others the truth, do not get carried away with every new idea. Instead, "preach the word". As an evangelist, tell others about Christ and seek to make them His followers.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
My personal belief in this and with this forum.... to many are trying to play the role of the Holy Spirit! BUT... the Holy Spirit does not get rude, yell, push, say awful things to one to get them to see the Truth.
He is a gentleman respecting all persons and leads with longsuffering to draw that one back from error or sin.
Well put curly. Look no further than earlier in 2 Timothy to find the evidence of your post.

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: 2 Timothy 2:24

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Well put curly. Look no further than earlier in 2 Timothy to find the evidence of your post.

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: 2 Timothy 2:24
Amen....!!
Great scripture....! To bad it couldn't be posted in BIG letters for every one to read, before one enters this forum...

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I believe this instruction was given to Timothy as a church leader.. detailing his ministry to the Church, not necessarily referring to rebuking, convincing the "world". As this instruction was followed and the Church remained pure, she was a light to the world.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I believe this instruction was given to Timothy as a church leader.. detailing his ministry to the Church, not necessarily referring to rebuking, convincing the "world". As this instruction was followed and the Church remained pure, she was a light to the world.

I agree, Timothy was to preach to the church.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Actually I'm going to disagree.. After reading it my opinion is that he was writing to Timothy as a church leader and as a Christian.

Just my opinion though..

Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
I kind of wish people would use the names of people they think are trying to play the role of the Holy Spirit. Just the thought of that makes me sick inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity