U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: In God's country
1,059 posts, read 2,420,826 times
Reputation: 608

Advertisements

I've been pondering this for awhile now. Alot of us come on this forum to have fellowship, discussions, questions. I have learned so many things from alot of you and for that im so grateful. Now we all know that everyone has different opinions, thoughts, and ideas..and thank goodness for that. However, lately i find (just my opinion) there is alot of arguing, bickering, bashing of ones beliefs or feelings. Did we all (myself included) forget that God would not approve our our behaviors? I find alot of athiest that come on here..and in reality thats great..something led you to us, something led you to read the posts that we write. (planting of the seed) And even for us the believers...what are we doing to one another? Why are we creating such hostility towards one another? (im not saying this to anyone in paticular..im putting myself in this category too) I'm going to post a few verses that have been sticking to me and im going to pass it on...
Romans 14:1 " Accept into your group someone who is weak in faith
and do not argue about opinions"
Romans 14:19 "So let us try to do what makes peace and helps one
another"
Romans 15:7 "Christ acceptd you, so you should accept each other
which will bring glory to God"
God Bless.
Sunshineann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,430,031 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
I've been pondering this for awhile now. Alot of us come on this forum to have fellowship, discussions, questions. I have learned so many things from alot of you and for that im so grateful. Now we all know that everyone has different opinions, thoughts, and ideas..and thank goodness for that. However, lately i find (just my opinion) there is alot of arguing, bickering, bashing of ones beliefs or feelings. Did we all (myself included) forget that God would not approve our our behaviors? I find alot of athiest that come on here..and in reality thats great..something led you to us, something led you to read the posts that we write. (planting of the seed) And even for us the believers...what are we doing to one another? Why are we creating such hostility towards one another? (im not saying this to anyone in paticular..im putting myself in this category too) I'm going to post a few verses that have been sticking to me and im going to pass it on...
Romans 14:1 " Accept into your group someone who is weak in faith
and do not argue about opinions"
Romans 14:19 "So let us try to do what makes peace and helps one
another"
Romans 15:7 "Christ acceptd you, so you should accept each other
which will bring glory to God"
God Bless.
Sunshineann
Dear sunshineann......excellant post! The Holy Spirit is so gentle with with our flailing emotions...so forgiving towards all our offensivenesses...so understanding in all our weaknesses...so patient in all our stubbornesses...so precious is His love for us...no matter what we do He loves us...His love never changes...love bears all things...we should strive to allow God to perfect us in becoming like Him....Love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,738,954 times
Reputation: 813
Red face Verna, it's fine...

... to keep repeating only the message of the gospel.

But it may still lead to an unnecessary battle by alienation of many innocent ones in today's world. Sometimes it seems to me very very unjust and unjustified how the chosen ones would sit back in silence and remain totally unresponsive to those in imperceptible isolation.

I sincerely hope you understand what i mean.

Have we on this forum already spoken about "eternal life"?

Last edited by effie g-tad; 01-16-2009 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: not all of God's children can bear a cruel social order to bring them in line with a "Spirit"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,341,376 times
Reputation: 1235
I understand what you're saying. I hear what you are saying. This is like the fourth thread of this nature .. to address our actions towards one another, especially on this forum. I'm not sure this is the most appropriate thread to put this in (if not mods can move to another thread), but here goes.

I've been around a while and in the beginning I too was put off and offended and discouraged and confronted and angered. But hanging around for as long as I have you begin to understand some things.

Most times, you cannot "hear" the emotion behind the post. The reader tends to "hear" what they want. I am guilty of this as well. Granted, there are some posts that are down-right mean spirited or spiteful. But most times what one thinks is smarmy or rude is another's matter-of-fact way of posting/speaking. Yes, it may be blunt, but you have to ask yourself, is it really meant to be rude?

Debates are meant for give and take. Yes, I agree one should do their utmost not to offend or come off abrasive. However, you'll never please everyone. I try to always step back, read it again with a different "tone", and pause before I respond. Everyone has an opinion and debate forums tend to bring out that certain something in us that wants to prove our opinions are right/correct. This will sometimes blind us to how our words/actions impact others. We must be mindful of this. HOWEVER, there are some opinions/views/beliefs that once tested against God's word prove to be serious error or outright false doctrine, this needs spoken out against. If this offends others, maybe there's good reason for it. Again, this can be done with Christ-like love towards one another without becoming a shouting match.

We, as professing Christians, should hold ourselves to a higher standard. We should allow the Holy Spirit to guide our fingers and tounges. We should pray before we reply and try our best to be loving, patient, kind and longsuffering. BUT... we should also not fear that what we say will offend and water it down simply not to be "offensive", because scripture is like a two edged sword, meant to make others uncomfortable, intended to make us pause and examine ourselves and our actions, to shine a light in the darkness. However, I do agree there is a more tactful way to broach this than to go all out, guns blazing.

As a good friend of mine was fond of saying "it's all about balance" (<-- that's for kaykay )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
 
Location: In God's country
1,059 posts, read 2,420,826 times
Reputation: 608
Mams..i understand and agree with what you are saying. But i noticed lately..alot of personal attacks... For "new" people trying to find and understand their way in the Lord this type of thing could hurt their journey. Everyones walk is different.
I appreciate your post Mams...God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,637,189 times
Reputation: 3760
Very good post , Mams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,637,189 times
Reputation: 3760
One of my problems, when I first came on here, I failed to realize that many have not had the years of experience with topical studies that I have had. I spent many hours with a notebook and concordance, on individual topics...reading and writing down all that the bible says on each of them. They were my own private studies, done by myself, in my home. I still have the notebooks full of scriptures. I think doing it that way helps imprint the scriptures in one's mind/heart.
I am wanting to have a poll of the ages of those who post here, and their experiences with bible study. I would want it to be anonymous on the ages, so there would be no embarrassment towards those who do not choose to reveal their age.
Maybe someone knowledgeable in setting up a poll could help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,341,376 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Mams..i understand and agree with what you are saying. But i noticed lately..alot of personal attacks... For "new" people trying to find and understand their way in the Lord this type of thing could hurt their journey. Everyones walk is different.
I appreciate your post Mams...God Bless
Basically I agree on what you're stating. And the best advice I would give a "new" Christian is to stay out of forums such as this. When you are new, you can still be easily swayed. What sounds correct may not be. A new Christian is better spending their time in the real word, gaining knowledge and experience from Christians in real life and studying their Bible. A new Christian can get pretty messed up and easily dissuaded when participating in a forum such as this.

For the more experienced folks out there... remember who you represent when you're speaking on here and act accordingly. And for the small few, you need to get thicker skin. I had to and I'm much better for it. I'm not as easily offended as I once was and I have learned who is worthy to respond to and who is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,430,031 times
Reputation: 841
Default I understand Effie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
... to keep repeating only the message of the gospel.

But it may still lead to an unnecessary battle by alienation of many innocent ones in today's world. Sometimes it seems to me very very unjust and unjustified how the chosen ones would sit back in silence and remain totally unresponsive to those in imperceptible isolation.

I sincerely hope you understand what i mean.

Have we on this forum already spoken about "eternal life"?
It is difficult though...I mean...when all I have here is a screen in front of me...and upon this screen are many, many diverse beliefs...feelings...backgrounds...and emotions...all coming from living, breathing, beautiful...or maybe not so beautiful human beings...and coming to me in silent words...and my mind is stayed on the innocence of some...not wanting to hurt them or confuse them in any way...and on the other hand, I see thoughts written here...and/or opinions...that I may or may not be agree with or they may be down right wrong in my opinion...and what you can't see is...me sitting here...reading each one...my heart open...my mind open...trying to discerne...trying to place a face...trying to search a heart...where it is...what it's feeling, and why...sometimes I am laughing..sometimes I am crying...literally...sometimes furious...sometimes passionate...it's to bad we can't see one another...and what is behind them, over their shoulder...through their window...where they live or what their life has dealt them...so I try to be sensitive toward everyone...no matter what they say here...what I do see, are creations of God.. just like me...each and every one...and he made us all...and we are all where we are because this is God's plan...for whatever reason...it is His plan, all we can do is...what He tells us to do in His Word...Love...LOVE!......Love...Love...lov e... Silent?...only to you am I silent...but God hears me...because my love expressed here is in words shared but unaudibly spoken...becuse the compassion that is in my heart for you can not be heard by you...because my cries can not be heard by you...but God hears my prayers for you all...He sees each tear that falls...He hears my cries for you...He knows my heart for you...so I pray, "God , help me...help me to understand...help me to have compassion for others...help me to be loving especially to the unlovely...help me not to be judgemental...because, Who am I? What right do I have? I am only here to plant...a seed...a seed of love, into hearts, and water them with gentle care...and then step back and allow God to give the increase into someone's mind, their heart, and their life...I cannot percieve ones isolation...ones lonliness...but God does...then again...I can only...silently (as you perceive it) care for them and love them, and pray for them...and cry for them.....and trust God that He will take care of them...and I know He will...and as the post fades away onto another page...replaced with new cares and concerns and cries for help...I begin again...hoping that I have encouraged...exhalted...lifted up...inspired...and loved those in the past...Love you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 AM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,738,954 times
Reputation: 813
Arrow ... and effie understands Verna..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
It is difficult though...I mean...when all I have here is a screen in front of me...and upon this screen are many, many diverse beliefs...feelings...backgrounds...and emotions...all coming from living, breathing, beautiful...or maybe not so beautiful human beings...and coming to me in silent words...and my mind is stayed on the innocence of some...not wanting to hurt them or confuse them in any way...and on the other hand, I see thoughts written here...and/or opinions...that I may or may not be agree with or they may be down right wrong in my opinion...and what you can't see is...me sitting here...reading each one...my heart open...my mind open...trying to discerne...trying to place a face...trying to search a heart...where it is...what it's feeling, and why...sometimes I am laughing..sometimes I am crying...literally...sometimes furious...sometimes passionate...it's to bad we can't see one another...and what is behind them, over their shoulder...through their window...where they live or what their life has dealt them...so I try to be sensitive toward everyone...no matter what they say here...what I do see, are creations of God.. just like me...each and every one...and he made us all...and we are all where we are because this is God's plan...for whatever reason...it is His plan, all we can do is...what He tells us to do in His Word...Love...LOVE!......Love...Love...lov e... Silent?...only to you am I silent...but God hears me...because my love expressed here is in words shared but unaudibly spoken...becuse the compassion that is in my heart for you can not be heard by you...because my cries can not be heard by you...but God hears my prayers for you all...He sees each tear that falls...He hears my cries for you...He knows my heart for you...so I pray, "God , help me...help me to understand...help me to have compassion for others...help me to be loving especially to the unlovely...help me not to be judgemental...because, Who am I? What right do I have? I am only here to plant...a seed...a seed of love, into hearts, and water them with gentle care...and then step back and allow God to give the increase into someone's mind, their heart, and their life...I cannot percieve ones isolation...ones lonliness...but God does...then again...I can only...silently (as you perceive it) care for them and love them, and pray for them...and cry for them.....and trust God that He will take care of them...and I know He will...and as the post fades away onto another page...replaced with new cares and concerns and cries for help...I begin again...hoping that I have encouraged...exhalted...lifted up...inspired...and loved those in the past...Love you!

... because she just saw (in part only) Verna being a Channel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top