U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Why do some people make such a huge deal out this particular sin? Isn't a sin a sin? But when it comes to gays it's like some people run around in fear "Oh noooo it's a gay person! Help! Get it away!" I don't get it.
Some of us were raised in a society where homosexual acts were a crime in every state punishable by the courts.

While most states have removed the laws against it. The US Congress has not removed Federal laws against sodomy.

I have never heard of any US congressman debating making sodomy legal.

UCMJ article 125 Sodomy -
"ď(a) Any person subject to this chapter who engages in unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy. Penetration, however slight, is sufficient
to complete the offense."

"Explanation: It is unnatural carnal copulation for a person to take into that personís mouth or anus the sexual organ of another person or of an animal; or to place that personís sexual organ in the mouth or anus of another person or of an animal; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body, except the sexual parts, with another person; or to have carnal copulation with an animal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:16 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Why do some people make such a huge deal out this particular sin? Isn't a sin a sin? But when it comes to gays it's like some people run around in fear "Oh noooo it's a gay person! Help! Get it away!" I don't get it.
That's your opinion. It is not such a simple as you said it was. Most sins are deemed wrong except homosexuality, not to mention the ramifications of the sufficiency of scripture it causes when there are Christians who say, homosexuality is not a sin.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,027,622 times
I think this has been said before and I will say it again. Such a big deal is made about the sin of homosexuality because it is being promoted in society on a level far beyond many other topics. Right behind it are abortion rights and gun rights.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:31 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,270,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
rememebr, we are dealing with humans and when the time is right and the holy spirit prepares our hearts as he did to Paul, peter,barnabas and others in acts, then not only will we speak the truth in Christ, but the message will get through because the spirit has worked on the other person as well. This is how it works throughout the bible and it is not my opinion or interpretation. Too much christian zeal and the hurling of bible verses at someone simply comes across the wrong way and it is why winning souls becomes some kind of sport and the real message of good news never makes it. It also gives the message of the cross a negative tone.
Well said my brother. I think you have hit it on the head. We cant win souls by being big bible thumping zealots. I think that God would rather for us to let our lights shine in the world than standing on the corner or posting Scriptures about what thus says the Lord, when in actuality all we are doing is technically preaching to the choir.

I HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY YOUR POST AND I will put you on my prayer list (if you don't mind). Your post HAS HELPED ME REALIZE THAT SOUL WINNING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN winning a DEBATE about who's right or wrong or who's living right or not.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,205,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Some of us were raised in a society where homosexual acts were a crime in every state punishable by the courts.

While most states have removed the laws against it. The US Congress has not removed Federal laws against sodomy.

I have never heard of any US congressman debating making sodomy legal.

UCMJ article 125 Sodomy -
"ď(a) Any person subject to this chapter who engages in unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy. Penetration, however slight, is sufficient
to complete the offense."

"Explanation: It is unnatural carnal copulation for a person to take into that personís mouth or anus the sexual organ of another person or of an animal; or to place that personís sexual organ in the mouth or anus of another person or of an animal; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body, except the sexual parts, with another person; or to have carnal copulation with an animal."
Let me rephrase:

"Has not removed U.S. Military Code laws against it"

Yeah.. thats sounds right (because its truthful)

Guess what... I don't live under Military Code..

Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Let me rephrase:

"Has not removed U.S. Military Code laws against it"

Yeah.. thats sounds right (because its truthful)

Guess what... I don't live under Military Code..

'code law'?

Whatever.

I am a servicemember.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
'code law'?

Whatever.

I am a servicemember.
Good for you. However that doesn't change the fact that citizens of this country don't abide by military law unless they are in the military. Its just a clarification that from a federal perspective there are no laws on the books per the example you gave that apply to citizens not in the military.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,715,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This tired excuse for harassment and bigotry toward those whose lifestyle you find sinful or inexcusable simply won't fly anymore, Robin . . . Do you seriously believe that they do not know what you believe your God thinks of them . . . so that you must warn them and chastise them and urge them to repentance in your "tough love? " Come on!
Typical liberal tactics. When you have no moral ground to stand on, you resort to name calling.

It's not what God thinks of them but of their lifestyle, big difference even though liberals try to blur the line of the person and the lifestyle.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Good for you. However that doesn't change the fact that citizens of this country don't abide by military law unless they are in the military. Its just a clarification that from a federal perspective there are no laws on the books per the example you gave that apply to citizens not in the military.
The UCMJ is a system of laws, written by the US Congress, and enforced by our Federal government.

Right now, so long as nobody goes under martial law, only the military are required to abide by the UCMJ.

However to say that "there are no laws prohibiting sodomy" would be false. There are Federal laws which do so.

Those laws do apply to some US citizens.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
The UCMJ is a system of laws, written by the US Congress, and enforced by our Federal government.

Right now, so long as nobody goes under martial law, only the military are required to abide by the UCMJ.

However to say that "there are no laws prohibiting sodomy" would be false. There are Federal laws which do so.

Those laws do apply to some US citizens.
Just to clarify:

1.4M active personnel in military
1.4M reserve personnel in military
=2.8M Total

2.8M / 306M (estimated U.S. Population) = 0.91% of citizens in United States have laws prohibiting them from sodomy.

Thanks for the clarification. I strive to be 100% alas in this case I was only 99% correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or