U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,027,134 times
Reputation: 627

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I think that the christian sister not photographing a gay couple's civil union is very extreme. The photographer was not providing the service for them to get their Civil Union, and had that been the case, then I would be in agreement and perfectly understand why she wouldn't want to do the civil union for the gay couple.
But she should have had the choice to serve who she wanted and not who wanted her to. If we endorse the small things then we will be expected to endorse the bigger things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
 
381 posts, read 683,715 times
Reputation: 161
walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Paul said it well. when we war in the flesh.(since we cannot act out in unholy,ungodly emotions without being in sin) then we get way off course.

But why would you war with folks who have gone a different way? Steve Brown, a nice pastor of Miami siad it well. "witnessing is when one beggar tells another where to find bread. "

Remember the woman at the well? she had five husbands. Jesus didn't attack her. He invited her to drink living water. he did get to the truth , though. Jesus had a style we can only try to emulate. His message was always an invitation, not a condemnation to the struggling sinnner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 PM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But she should have had the choice to serve who she wanted and not who wanted her to. If we endorse the small things then we will be expected to endorse the bigger things.
Robin, I dont think you got my point. Our witness to others is to show love and compassion, in spite of the fact that their lifestyle may be contrary to the teachings of the bible. If there is a place in the bible that tells Christians to DISCRIMINATE against people because of their sexual orientation then I stand corrected. My point is that the woman was providing a service for the gay couple by taking only their picture. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

If I were a real estate agent, and a gay couple came to me to help them buy a home, I wouldn't DISCRIMINATE against them and tell them because I dont agree with your lifestyle I am not going to show them a house.

If I worked at a bank, and a gay couple wanted to open an account at my bank, I am not going to refuse waiting on them because I don't agree with their lifestyle.

If I were a doctor, and a gay person was assigned to me as a patient, I wouldn't discriminate and tell him go and find another doctor because your lifestyle is contrary to mine.

I hope you are seeing where I am going with this. Her taking the picture of the gay couple had nothing to do with her compromising her faith. She was providing simply a service.

To be honest, if I were to see a heterosexual couple who are living in sin, never married, and have children together, does that apply if they have a commitment civil type of union, not necessarily a marriage, but where they just exchange vows but are not really married? Should this christian photographer refuse to take this couple's picture as well?

I hope you see where I am going with this. We can't CONTROL what people do, all we can be is just lights in the world, and hope and pray our lights shine bright enough for people to take notice and want to come to Christ on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
If I were a doctor, and a gay person was assigned to me as a patient, I wouldn't discriminate and tell him go and find another doctor because your lifestyle is contrary to mine.

I hope you are seeing where I am going with this. Her taking the picture of the gay couple had nothing to do with her compromising her faith. She was providing simply a service.........
I don't think you are being fair, she is an entrepreneur. Your other examples are not the same. If she feels that she is compromising her faith then I would have to accept that.
How would it look if her other brothers and sisters in Christ saw her at this gay wedding or if other unbelievers saw her as well. How does that affect her testimony? if she is witnessing to gay people one day who saw her at the wedding? I believe this is up to the individual and the Holy Spirit dealing with that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't think you are being fair, she is an entrepreneur. Your other examples are not the same. If she feels that she is compromising her faith then I would have to accept that.
How would it look if her other brothers and sisters in Christ saw her at this gay wedding or if other unbelievers saw her as well. How does that affect her testimony? if she is witnessing to gay people one day who saw her at the wedding? I believe this is up to the individual and the Holy Spirit dealing with that person.
Maybe I didn't read your post right. I was under the impression that this photographer was at the court house providing the pictures. In that case of her being an entrepreneur, yes I would agree with you, especially if it was against her conscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,205,076 times
Reputation: 1468
Its a case that is still up for judgement and on appeal. Normally any business under the size of 15 employees has the right under federal law to discriminate for any reason they want. New Mexico state law does not trump Federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Its a case that is still up for judgement and on appeal. Normally any business under the size of 15 employees has the right under federal law to discriminate for any reason they want. New Mexico state law does not trump Federal law.
To be honest, I don't have a problem with that. It gets crazy when people get so upset that small companies can discriminate for what ever reason against people. My attitude is this. If a company has less than 15 people, and doesn't want any blacks, asians, mexicans, whites, protestants, jews, gays, or what ever working there, then it should be that company's right to do so. I'm not saying that the company discriminating against anyone is cool. But when its bottom line or success of the company is affeced by its discriminatory practices or policies, then the owner may just change his or her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,205,076 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
To be honest, I don't have a problem with that. It gets crazy when people get so upset that small companies can discriminate for what ever reason against people. My attitude is this. If a company has less than 15 people, and doesn't want any blacks, asians, mexicans, whites, protestants, jews, gays, or what ever working there, then it should be that company's right to do so. I'm not saying that the company discriminating against anyone is cool. But when its bottom line or success of the company is affeced by its discriminatory practices or policies, then the owner may just change his or her mind.
Now.. that right to discriminate only carries over to hiring of employees from what I can tell.

In essence the photographer did the same thing to the couple that restaurants did to blacks.. actually the photographer was worse. The photographer didn't even provide of an alternate service (a colored only version if you will).

Personally.. thats the risk she takes.. the photographer should have known the law of her state. If she was associated with a church it might have been a different outcome. Risk.. Reward..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Now.. that right to discriminate only carries over to hiring of employees from what I can tell.

In essence the photographer did the same thing to the couple that restaurants did to blacks.. actually the photographer was worse. The photographer didn't even provide of an alternate service (a colored only version if you will).

Personally.. thats the risk she takes.. the photographer should have known the law of her state. If she was associated with a church it might have been a different outcome. Risk.. Reward..
O I C Wow! I guess for me, I am not such a bible thumper that I would have a problem providing any type of service for someone who's paying me for that service BE IT AN ATHEIST, DRUNKARD, ADULTURER, GAY, LIAR, FORNICATOR ETC.. I see it as a way for me to share my testimony with them as well AND MAYBE DRAW THEM TO CHRIST THROUGH IT.

God works in mysterious ways, and I just think that sometimes we, as Christians, can get so caught up on what THUS SAYS THE LORD, that we lose sight of what our purpose in life really is. GLORYING GOD BY LOVING OUR FELLOW MAN AND BEING A WITNESS FOR HIM AS WELL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,027,134 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Robin, I dont think you got my point. Our witness to others is to show love and compassion, in spite of the fact that their lifestyle may be contrary to the teachings of the bible. If there is a place in the bible that tells Christians to DISCRIMINATE against people because of their sexual orientation then I stand corrected. My point is that the woman was providing a service for the gay couple by taking only their picture. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

If I were a real estate agent, and a gay couple came to me to help them buy a home, I wouldn't DISCRIMINATE against them and tell them because I dont agree with your lifestyle I am not going to show them a house.

If I worked at a bank, and a gay couple wanted to open an account at my bank, I am not going to refuse waiting on them because I don't agree with their lifestyle.

If I were a doctor, and a gay person was assigned to me as a patient, I wouldn't discriminate and tell him go and find another doctor because your lifestyle is contrary to mine.

I hope you are seeing where I am going with this. Her taking the picture of the gay couple had nothing to do with her compromising her faith. She was providing simply a service.

To be honest, if I were to see a heterosexual couple who are living in sin, never married, and have children together, does that apply if they have a commitment civil type of union, not necessarily a marriage, but where they just exchange vows but are not really married? Should this christian photographer refuse to take this couple's picture as well?

I hope you see where I am going with this. We can't CONTROL what people do, all we can be is just lights in the world, and hope and pray our lights shine bright enough for people to take notice and want to come to Christ on their own.
I see what you are getting at, but what I am trying to say is that any business should have the right to refuse services to anyone they choose without fear of a law suite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top